FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Mono line direct to barrel snap for striper?  (Read 927 times)

porkpiehat

Mono line direct to barrel snap for striper?
« on: Aug 13, 2017, 06:26 PM »
I wouldn't do this in freshwater, but I have some striper rods rigged with 30 lb mono and I'm thinking about forgoing a swivel-to-leader-to-snap to lure set up. Fewer knots and chances of failure, more time with lures in the water. I read an article that even suggested it for trolling, so I would probably use this for plugs, jigs, jerkbait etc.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks :)

CatchAndReleaseColin

Re: Mono line direct to barrel snap for striper?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2017, 07:13 PM »
I like to use as few knots/connections as possible. Fewer chances for something to happen

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2017, 09:52 PM »
No need if you are just using mono...
 I don't like to fish mono anymore myself, it feels like I am fighting the fish with a big rubber band and I like fluoro leader, they can make a real difference at times...

ICEHOLE

« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2017, 06:29 AM »
I wouldn't do this in freshwater, but I have some striper rods rigged with 30 lb mono and I'm thinking about forgoing a swivel-to-leader-to-snap to lure set up. Fewer knots and chances of failure, more time with lures in the water. I read an article that even suggested it for trolling, so I would probably use this for plugs, jigs, jerkbait etc.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks :)
Not experienced in salt but I 99% never use a swivel and always use floro leader. I really feel like floro makes a fair difference as a leader, and I HATE swivels on my line, especially with snaps.
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

westernmas

« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2017, 09:27 AM »
Yeah I agree.  I don't seem much use for mono unless you are using it for backing before you put on braid.  I think you would be better off using braid, a barrel swivel, a fluoro leader and then tying the leader directly to your hook and/or leader.  It is somewhat personal preference though.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

porkpiehat

« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2017, 09:35 AM »
Not experienced in salt but I 99% never use a swivel and always use floro leader. I really feel like floro makes a fair difference as a leader, and I HATE swivels on my line, especially with snaps.

I'm guessing you use braided line and/or lures than won't create line twist?

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2017, 09:59 AM »
Wont catch me throwing eels without using a swivel.  I use them in the salt every trip.  Braid to swivel to floro.  Lost too many big fish having braid cut through the leader doing braid to leader knots.  No thanks. Freshwater I rarely use swivels.

stripernut

« Reply #7 on: Aug 14, 2017, 10:52 AM »
I too always use a swivel between my braid and fluoro leader, but I always use a Ball Bearing with welded rings; Shampo or Spro brands.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.