FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Swapping Helix 7 back and forth  (Read 1522 times)

taxid

Swapping Helix 7 back and forth
« on: Oct 26, 2020, 01:20 PM »
What do you guys think of me swapping my Helix 7 Humminbird fish finder back and forth between my transom transducer to a trolling motor transducer on my Terrorva I pilot? Or should I get different unit for the front of the boat? I bought a Terrova mainly for the Spot Lock option a while back and still haven't had time to install it or get on on the lake more than a couple of times this year before I got the unit. 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Swapping Helix 7 back and forth
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2020, 09:51 AM »
I have not done this on my Helix 9 but I believe you need to have a network capable unit to do it simply within the menu. And you need to have a network interface box to have them both hooked up concurrently. Don't quote me on this I am sorta guessing. Otherwise I think you'll need to restart the unit with whatever ducer you want to use.

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2020, 10:44 AM »
Personally I'd run 2 units and network them.  Right now I have a single garmin unit running the panoptix up front and a clearvu transducer in the rear.  I need to add a screen to the bow and then network them.  Right now being on the bow with no screen is rather useless.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2020, 02:16 PM »
Thank you for the responses. I'll have to see what my local store has available and see what they have to say. (I try to buy locally if I can).

I've got plenty of time until next year. Not sure if I want to spend the money on a Pantopix but I can put some money down and pay as I go, and have it paid off by next spring. In the old days I think we called that "lay away?"  It's what I did with the Terrova.

Hoping to get into Canada or New England for a couple of weeks next summer, but of course that will depend on what happens with Covid. I'm hoping we gravitate to testing for state or country entry vs. full quarantines.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2020, 02:18 PM »
Personally I'd run 2 units and network them.  Right now I have a single garmin unit running the panoptix up front and a clearvu transducer in the rear.  I need to add a screen to the bow and then network them.  Right now being on the bow with no screen is rather useless.

You can't look back at your transom screen with binoculars?  :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2020, 07:13 AM »
You can't look back at your transom screen with binoculars?  :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

Its on the console and pointed the wrong way!

mcully

« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2020, 08:00 AM »
I hit the spotlock and jig under my transom ducer with my console mounted unit. Works for me most of the time. Turn up the speed just enough to see dropshot.

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2020, 07:14 AM »
I hit the spotlock and jig under my transom ducer with my console mounted unit. Works for me most of the time. Turn up the speed just enough to see dropshot.

Same here.  When I'm deep enough I can see mine on both panoptix and the flasher mode.  Also many times on Champlain its too rough to jig the bow ha!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.