FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Mass Division of Fish & Wildlife captures 13 1/2 pound brown from Swift River  (Read 5176 times)

taxid

I don't do Facebook, so I cannot check the original Mass Wildlife post.

Does it say how big the fish was in inches?

Sorry, but fishing smaller streams, I cannot even imagine how big a 13.5 pound trout runs.

I need the length in inches to translate it into terms that are "real" to me.

Funny story along those lines - - Years ago, I was fishing the Deerfield with my Dad and a couple other friends.  An older guy and a college age kid (an exchange student from Wales) put into the stream where we were fishing in a canoe.  As they did so, they asked us what we were fishing for, and my Dad said "trout."  The college age kid asked how big the trout typically ran, and my Dad said "about 14" - - meaning inches, but the kid asked "pounds?"  Needless to say, we all got a good chuckle out of that exchange.

Didn't say but but judging by the browns I have raised to 12 pounds --that were more rotund than this fish-- I would guess around 32 inches?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bogtrotter

Didn't say but but judging by the browns I have raised to 12 pounds, that were more rotund than this fish, I would guess around 32 inches?

Wow, now that's a big fish!

lowaccord66

lowaaccord66,

Which do you prefer? A king salmon or a brown trout? For me I'll take big browns hands down over a king. For some reason kings don't do much for me although they are much easier to paint than a brown trout as a taxidermist.

Browns for sure.  Ive caught Kings, they are cool but I prefer the browns.

taxid

As an artist the great variation in spotting patterns and colors in browns intrigue me and they are a challenge to reproduce. For me salmon simply range from bright chrome in the summer to gradually changing to very dark before expiring in the fall. Just seem drab compared to browns. Size is mainly what salmon have going for them to me.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

Browns for sure.  Ive caught Kings, they are cool but I prefer the browns.

:thumbup_smilie:

westernmas

There was one 18lbs in there that died a month or so ago. A fisherman found her and gave the carcass to masswildlife to analyze.

I took some casts at that thing like 3 years ago.  It was prob in the 12lb range at that point but I had it chase a few streamers but it always turned away at the last moment.  I was there last Friday night tossing mice for these beasts but didn't have any luck.  I lost both my mouse flies in trees in short order.  It isn't very easy to fish there at night, especially where these big browns tend to hang out.  Guy caught a 4.3lb smallie under the route 9 bridge the other day too.  Hopefully there aren't too many of them that came over the dam otherwise the brookie spawn might be in trouble.  Perch would prob be even worse.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

james1981

I've caught some big ones out of comet pond through the ice,  one 5lb fish had 3 hooks with two leaders attached.  If you ever fish the swift river in the catch and release zone its like going to cabelas and looking at  the fish tank. Monsters but been caught so many times that they are just weary of anything from what I gather. Its been a while since I fished it. But Flaggs in Orange sells no 18- like 22 nymphs to fish it.. Its open all year long...

westernmas

I've caught some big ones out of comet pond through the ice,  one 5lb fish had 3 hooks with two leaders attached.  If you ever fish the swift river in the catch and release zone its like going to cabelas and looking at  the fish tank. Monsters but been caught so many times that they are just weary of anything from what I gather. Its been a while since I fished it. But Flaggs in Orange sells no 18- like 22 nymphs to fish it.. Its open all year long...

Yup to fool those fish, especially this time of year, it is long leaders, light tippets and tiny flies.  Some old timers tie on size like 28s.  It also takes them about 2 hours to tie them on but they tend to work.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

Yup to fool those fish, especially this time of year, it is long leaders, light tippets and tiny flies.  Some old timers tie on size like 28s.  It also takes them about 2 hours to tie them on but they tend to work.

Yawwwnnn.  Right about now you should be able to get them to eat a streamer.

james1981

again its like fishing the cabelas or BPS aquarium...  they just sit there and eat and eat... Been caught dozens of times. You can try Ive heard the guys that catch the most in that stretch are the guys going super super small.....

westernmas

Yawwwnnn.  Right about now you should be able to get them to eat a streamer.

Trust me I've tried.  Perhaps under the cover of dark they would but with the gin clear water coming out of quabbin it's pretty hard to trick them.  I saw a guy using pieces of garden worms on spinning gear and 2lb line hook one but broke him off almost instantly.  Below the C&R section for those worried.

A local guide landed a 17.10lb brown in the swift on 3x this February.  Used a T&T Contact rod...figured you'd like that tidbit Jon.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

Trust me I've tried.  Perhaps under the cover of dark they would but with the gin clear water coming out of quabbin it's pretty hard to trick them.  I saw a guy using pieces of garden worms on spinning gear and 2lb line hook one but broke him off almost instantly.  Below the C&R section for those worried.

A local guide landed a 17.10lb brown in the swift on 3x this February.  Used a T&T Contact rod...figured you'd like that tidbit Jon.

I do love my T&T and I agree with your decision to fish at night there Pat.  Keep mousing you'll get a big brown. 

taxid

What do the browns eat in the river? They can't get this big on insects. Of course once they get that big they can feed on stockers.

CMD1987

What do the browns eat in the river? They can't get this big on insects. Of course once they get that big they can feed on stockers.

They’ll eat almost anything. Major predators. Frogs, crawfish, juvenile brooke trout - no shortage of forage for a decent brown in that river

taxid

They’ll eat almost anything. Major predators. Frogs, crawfish, juvenile brooke trout - no shortage of forage for a decent brown in that river

Makes sense. Would be interesting to know what the age of a fish like that is. I used to know a prof that could age fish for me if I sent him the otolith bone. Unfortunately he has passed away due to cancer and heart attack due to the chemo.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.