FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: where to go?  (Read 2359 times)

synergyboy10

• summer time flag
where to go?
« on: Mar 21, 2007, 09:34 AM »
i will be going on a vacation in august and would like to find a place were i can fish four pike, musky, and some eye. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with this. i will be coming in august. i am kind of leaning towards red lake.
hurry grab that rod.

www.teamthrillseeker.com

thecanoeman

Re: where to go?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2007, 06:47 AM »
 I'm from Michigan and I spend 4 to 6 weeks a year fishing in northern Minnesota mostly in the BWCA.
I have been to Rainy lake a few times, the lakes hold all species, but if it's Walleyes you're after I have had my best luck at shorty's reef and nearby Erickson's reef they're in Voyageur National park, and they're both  just south of Harrison's Island. we used leeches and minnow's on a lindy rig. Red lake has a good reputation but I have never been there.

hope this helps

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2007, 07:14 PM »
Mille Lacs fits the bill, so does Leech. There are monster eyes and Muskies in both. I believe that Cass and Winne have Muskies too. You wont regret a trip to any of these waters. August is the "dog days", and the fishing is usually slower than the spring and fall. Look deep, that is where they will be.

synergyboy10

• summer time flag
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2007, 08:44 PM »
thanks for the help. i have decided on a place that is on leech lake.
hurry grab that rod.

www.teamthrillseeker.com

corny13

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2007, 09:11 PM »
Good Luck on your trip  to Leech in August.  I would recommend hiring a guide for the first day or two of your trip.  Leechis a very big lake with several different bays they all fish a bit different... if one area is off often the other areas are on.  Its also a big lake that is relatively shallow on the main lake that means if the wind picks up ... you need a deep V boat.  The walleyes are governed by a tight slot because of poor natural reproduction the past few years.... blamed on cormorants... Leech has been heavily stocked last year though... the 06 class is well represented.   Skippers recomendations of Cass/Pike bay and Mille Lacs are also great waters that do have more walleye.  Cass prob has the best Northern fishing, IMO.  Muskie a toss up as Cass/Leech/ and Mille Lacs are all good.  Leech prob gets the most muskie pressure followed by Mille Lacs.  Cass has a lot of Big Muskie as they dont allow spearing for Northerns.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.