FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: BR Does Double Time, No Place is Safe (Big Fish)  (Read 6282 times)

BaitWrangler

BR Does Double Time, No Place is Safe (Big Fish)
« on: Apr 25, 2010, 04:24 PM »
Since I began Carp fishing last year and was introduced to a NW Smallmouth population, I have not been LMB fishing one single time.  Today however I woke up at the crack of dawn and decided to do some serious good old fashion fishing at all costs.

I started off at a new place I've been trying to establish. Finally it was visable I'd brought the fish in - but they were spawning!  I went off to one of my regular locations, but on the way I stopped and baited big fish water for later in the day.  When I got to my destination, I set up per-usual, but this time I brought Bass gear with me. I've stalked numerous big Bass during their daily to-do's in this one pond.  It has few Bluegill, but many Carp along with the Bass - I imagine the larger Bass can sustain very well on the Carp fry each year. Despite seeing, I've never fished for them because I'm always fishing for Carp and I don't want to spook my target.  Today though I just fished in a slightly different spot so I could cast a jig/pig (color:brown/yellow/orange to match mirror Carp in pd.) in a cove and fish for Carp.  The hits were hard as a rock when you come over there beds at this time of year but I managed to lock it into a couple including this respectable one.  I guess I haven't lost my LMB touch!!!  No Carp action though there while it rain, although there was a few breaks.

In the afternoon it was off to the big fish waters I had baited earlier in the day.  I'll just let the picture speak for that one and say score another one for the CAG.  The W flag is flying high.

BaitWrangler

Re: BR Does Double Time, No Place is Safe (Big Fish)
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2010, 05:46 PM »
Another picture, courtsey of RI DEM.

The weight was 21 even if anyone is curious.

BASSMAN STAN

• - CAMP STANLEY -
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2010, 06:07 PM »
Son !

That's some poundage there !
It must be a rush bringing him in.   :D
Otis & Capt. Bassman          Bay Striper                         6lb.Larry                           River Rainbow

BaitWrangler

« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2010, 06:20 PM »
Son !

That's some poundage there !
It must be a rush bringing them in.   :D

Thanks. It was a heck of a time and drew quite a crowd indeed! The fight time was a bit over 15 minutes on the 12 footer.

halfhooked

• anything more would be shopping
« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2010, 09:34 PM »
yeah baby nice fish get that vacuum cleaner out of pond

salmon stalker

« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2010, 10:16 AM »
SWEET CARP MAN!! I have been fishing for carp in MA the last week. Gotten into 5 of them, largest only 9lbs and what a fight that was. I could just imagine a 21lb carp...WOW

I have been using corn and potatoe's. Throw a couple handful of corn out and then cast into where I tossed the chum. Are there better methods than that? I know there are some pushing 15+lbs because they are spawning and jumping like crazy in this backwash I fish.

I am new to carp fishing, this is my first year really going for them. Prior to this year I only caught 1 carp before and was 5lbs. I am hooked now though...the fights are awesome!
The outdoors, a real man's playground!!!!!!

BaitWrangler

« Reply #6 on: Apr 30, 2010, 09:22 PM »
Thank you SS, appreciate it.

Corn is definently the way to go. I've never used potatoes or heard it - but one of the spots I frequent has a rusty old potatoe can on the ground and I've always assumed someone was using it in some form for Carp.  The starch and sugars I would imagine would be an attractant.  You can use plain bread as well using a small diameter copper, alumunium, steel tube and dowel and stamp out nice tablets.  The reason we use corn (maize / cow corn) is because we can get the fish use to feeding on it and its not too expensive. Some use boilies as well - you can look those up and get an idea on them. You can buy them commercially, they are basically balled up dough based baits of high nutritional value. They are popular in Europe.

Other than that if your not fishing with a hair rig try figuring that out. Then keep it basic and just experiment with your hook link and what not.  We've got it made over here because our fish aren't heavily pressured. :)

I'm going to be elaborating more at others request soon.

TrophyHunter

• 57.25" lake sturgeon
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 08:20 AM »
Just saw this one BW another wicked carp!!  8)

BaitWrangler

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 09:04 AM »
Just saw this one BW another wicked carp!!  8)

Thanks TH! But if you can lend a few bucks for a plane ticket then I'm off to hang with you for some Cats, Sturgeon, Carp, Bass, etc!

We have a CAG outing this afternoon, hopefully I will have some nice pictures and a good report. Some of these guys put me to shame beleive it or not! For example last week our chairman had a day where 6 fish in a row were 18+ then he hit a 28lb mirror!  Talk about poundage - heck my arm was tired after that one fish, I think I might need an ice bath like MLB pitchers after a day like that.

Beleive it or not though the smaller fish fight better than larger fish and that was something I knew before I even hooked into the one above. Once you get to a certain length/weight with Carp they loose their ability to put on the amazing runs that we know and love.  While the fish did put up a sweet fight, it was 100% opposite of the drag sreaming runs that people have heard of. I've had 7 pounders rip off 100 yards of line before I could get them turned around and swimming back twoards me.

Yoiu get such big proprs though its not even funny TH.  Catching those few on jigs isn't easy as it is but that also means it was probably on like tackle as well!

TrophyHunter

• 57.25" lake sturgeon
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 09:29 AM »
I've noticed carp are intelligent fighters sounds funny but it's like they know they are hooked and try to get into the wood and rocks weeds whatever they can to get off. I think they fight better then big cats even!! Cats are powerfull and bulldog to the bottom with occasional jumps!! BW someway somehow you gotta come up here you have no idea what we could do as far as carp go.... true giants!! Absolutely unfished monsters!!  :o Also we havent even talked about the big rainbows, Browns, brook trout and tiger trout up to 25" + (got into trout fishing last fall that's a whole nother addiction!!)

lavaman

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 08:05 PM »
wtg bud. way to wrestle up that monster. how did you do sat with the group?

petrgill

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 08:51 AM »
Now imagine pulling that through the ice. ;D

hoghammer

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 09:07 AM »
Any of you watch the british fishing shows. They fish big carp tourneys all the time. Its funny how they fish on a 2-3 acre lake and have big crowds and big money for carp. I love the 20 - 30 foot rods they use. I have had a few carp destroy my 8lb line while fishing for walleyes on the Red River. After a 45 min fight I had to change my line. I agree with TH about the fight over the cats. Cats like to bulldog down to the bottom but the carp just rip out the line. Got to have a good reel with a good drag.

salmon stalker

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 03:16 PM »
Thanks for the info BW....

I caught this one last week....light weight gear, 10lb test spinning reel. I love the fight.

This one yesterday..

So today I am watching some close to (Guessing here) 30lbs or so. They are coming to the top of the water and just cruising the surface and jumping like crazy. Hundreds of them in this area and no one fishes it. It's a backwash off the merrimack river.

Yup, carping is a ball. I have caught 9 of them now this year, largest was that top pic at 18.4lbs, most are 7-12lbs. Now I am seeing all big ones so just need to hook into them. I do notice when I dump 2 cans of corn in the area they start to come in on it within 20 minutes. I am just using a size 4 hook with 2 small split shots. Works so far, not losing them. Just need them to hit my line more often....averages about 1 fish an hour, best was 3 fish in an hour
The outdoors, a real man's playground!!!!!!

BaitWrangler

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 07:46 AM »
WOW SS super fish my friend!!!!!! Jeeze man! Like I said if you care to lend me the funds for a plane ticket some time, haha!

I will send you some rig info soon, sorry I've been very busy. Although it seems right now just putting the bait on the hook is getting the job done!  I would imagine the fish are piling up to get ready to spawn. Due to the crazy weather here at least, the fish are begining to spawn almost a month early. They will typically respond to food like that anyways, but not in such numbers as your reporting. (Probably filtering to one spawning ground.)

Handling them on light line is a ball eh?! On lightwear gear Carp gear  15lb test is good and then on heavy gear or setups where you will be fishing a heavy river and casting 2-4 oz of lead we use 20 mono or heavier braid (I use 20)..... but - when I first got into the game I said "Heck, I handle Pike no problem on 8lb test, no leader - all day." I figured how could this be any worse.  Lets just say I'm two Bass reels lighter because the gears and what not got stripped to the bone. Haha.

BTW Your scale is pretty close I somehow missed your posted weight the first time around and guess about the same before re-reading and seeing it. Once again great catch!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.