MFF US Northeast > Maine

Bass in Nahmakanta Lake

(1/2) > >>

gamefisher:
Was just reading in a report authored by Tim Obrey that bass are now confirmed in Nahmakanta Lake.  For those of you that have been there you know its the most beautiful lake in the State of Maine!  For those of you that haven't you really missed out on something special.  This is so sickening with all the bass, perch, crappie intruductions going on and yet it continues. :'(  Some idiot has just ruined another significant body of water.  Does anyone have any further information?  Sorry if I'm late to the party and this is old news to the gamefish community.

Jim C.:
Sad.  I hadn't heard of this.  Seems to be a recurring theme.  It looks like they allow ice fishing and live bait there, so I wonder if the bass came from a bucket by accident rather than by intent.  I also am starting to believe that invasives are gaining footholds because of changing conditions (water quality, non-winters, etc.) that historically were quite different.

gamefisher:

--- Quote from: Jim C. on Mar 18, 2024, 03:35 PM ---Sad.  I hadn't heard of this.  Seems to be a recurring theme.  It looks like they allow ice fishing and live bait there, so I wonder if the bass came from a bucket by accident rather than by intent.  I also am starting to believe that invasives are gaining footholds because of changing conditions (water quality, non-winters, etc.) that historically were quite different.

--- End quote ---

I know of no bass within 30 plus miles of there Jim and if anybody was stupid enough to dump their home caught shiners containing juvenile bass in the lake at the end of their outing castration is to easy of a penalty.

Jim C.:
It would be nice if they could catch someone red-handed so a solid punishment (involving nads or not) could be delivered as an example and good deterrent.

gamefisher:

--- Quote from: Jim C. on Mar 18, 2024, 07:01 PM ---It would be nice if they could catch someone red-handed so a solid punishment (involving nads or not) could be delivered as an example and good deterrent.

--- End quote ---

x1000 Jim.  I'm not sure the State actually wants to catch people performing this environmental terrorism because they know they have a new fishery that they have to invest zero dollars into to maintain.  There have been examples of people caught dead to right and I'm not sure they received more than a slap on the wrist- the guy that put bass in Moxie, the ex warden who put bass or perch in Moosehead, etc  Why would biologist release pike back into lake from trapnettings if they wanted to make a statement about illegal stockngs???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version