FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Any "freestyle" tiers out there?  (Read 10041 times)

jones-in-vermont

• I heart toothy fish
Any "freestyle" tiers out there?
« on: Apr 17, 2013, 06:58 AM »
Just wondering if there are other people who fall into the "freestyle" fly tier category, or if i'm the only one?  By freestyle, i mean not following a specific pattern, and basically creating something that the world (and therefore the fish) have never seen before, on a regular basis. For me, its every time i get the vice out.
><)))))))}\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'<         ><)))>    ><))><br />                                      ><))>      <br />                                ><))>

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
Re: Any "freestyle" tiers out there?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2013, 05:11 PM »
Kinda hard to say freestyle for me, I'd say I'm more of a "my rendition"  tier.... I tie unorthodox for the most part... I don't stick to the general rule of thumb per say... For example I use a lot of over sized hackles and my tails usually are much longer than most people leave them...
I learned from 2 great old school fly tiers also...Frank Audino and John Bianco ....
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

jones-in-vermont

• I heart toothy fish
« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2013, 06:54 AM »
Kinda hard to say freestyle for me, I'd say I'm more of a "my rendition"  tier.... I tie unorthodox for the most part... I don't stick to the general rule of thumb per say... For example I use a lot of over sized hackles and my tails usually are much longer than most people leave them...
I learned from 2 great old school fly tiers also...Frank Audino and John Bianco ....
    My patterns are generally very simple, and often very generic. i take some inspiration from patterns that look good, but i think the most "Textbook" flies ive ever made are probably some stealth bombers (basically a foam dahlberg diver) and some deer hair versions. I like to think that what i lack in my material variety, i make up for in the creative ways i use it.
><)))))))}\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'<         ><)))>    ><))><br />                                      ><))>      <br />                                ><))>

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2013, 05:30 PM »
Nothing more fun than sitting down at the bench with no plan ;D....just an image of what it is you want to see.

Here's one I started playing with last year that turned out to be super productive. I've never sen a pattern with a muddler style body, lead eyes and a spun deer hair head. Maybe there's one out there with a name...but this one's mine ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 11:18 AM »
Freestyle tier here.   I never tie exact patterns, just use them as a generic guideline.  The most productive flies I tie are patterns I developed myself.  

jones-in-vermont

• I heart toothy fish
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 09:10 AM »
Love that muddler variation! 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 01:52 PM »
It works too ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

jones-in-vermont

• I heart toothy fish
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 10:33 AM »
I BET! ill post some pics of my patterns tomorrow probably....gotta get some pics put on this computer...

cooter83

« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2015, 02:08 PM »
I love doing that. It's nice to think outside the recipe book and get More creative, I'll also try and upload pics of some streamers I have tied freestyle  :tipup:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2015, 03:04 PM »
Love to see new patterns. We're only limited by our imaginations ;D

Rg

Nomis

« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2015, 03:24 PM »
I dabbled in tying for a bit when I was a kid. I never mastered the fly fishing deal though. To this day, the only fish I've ever caught was on a fly I tied without a pattern. And it was made with my own hair.

IFF

« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2015, 04:32 PM »
That's a good looking one RG, Love it. 8)
*¿*  Bud

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2015, 05:37 PM »
Had to look back. Yeah that is a very productive pattern. Should have tied it upside down though. That may be next. Right now I'm obsessed with Tricos :-\

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.