FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What is a good bullhead recipe?  (Read 15486 times)

the Wizard

What is a good bullhead recipe?
« on: Apr 21, 2005, 09:17 AM »
I have tried bullhead in the past, fried but didn't care for it , so any one with a better way , I'm all ears.                    A friend of mine has a huge smoker and says he loves them done like that but I never had it that way, any other tricks to change the taste?   Silver lake is full of big ones right now and they are easy to catch.
Catch and release in a hot pan of grease.

ELMER ROSS

Re: What is a good bullhead recipe?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2005, 09:58 AM »
The bullheads that you get out of silver always taste like strait MUD.I dont know why but they do??And honeoye bulls taste like MUD too..Try filletting them and get some tony sasherys catfish seasonig and broil them or bake them  :P :P :P

fishryc

« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2005, 10:43 AM »
I have tried bullhead in the past, fried but didn't care for it , so any one with a better way , I'm all ears.                    A friend of mine has a huge smoker and says he loves them done like that but I never had it that way, any other tricks to change the taste?   Silver lake is full of big ones right now and they are easy to catch.
Never were my favorite, but have enjoyed them the last couple years with after a special treatment: Soak them overnight in milk in the fridge. Also, always fillet them, and trim 1/4 inch of belly meat off. I like seasoned Italian breadcrumbs as a coating (roll in flour, dip in egg, them crumbs) before pan or deep frying. My bullhead are from Lake Ontario when the run the creeks each spring, and they're pretty tasty from the 40 degree water.
Good luck
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

MXFishin

« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2005, 11:42 AM »
It has been crazy this year at silver, I never seen bullhead so big, and they are biting good. I don't have any recipes, I just give them away or release, not interest in eating a bottom feeder. I have been told they are good though. Which part of the lake have you been fishing H2O wizard?

MikeVT

• Wishin I was Fishin!!!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 21, 2005, 12:21 PM »
Bullhead are the best just after ice out.  Wash them in egg yolks, cover in bread crumbs, then deep fry - delicious!!

bigdave1018

« Reply #5 on: Apr 21, 2005, 12:47 PM »
i fillet all my bullheads but rarely fish for them because i like constant action even if the fish are small. fillet them and try and get all the red meat on the skin side off and all the yellow fat. ive found that if the heads arent cleaned out and you cook them with the backbone in, the taste is nasty. all the crap are around the ribs and in the backbone so thats why i fillet them. i like to cut the fillets into strips and either pan or deepfry them just like regular panfish. hope this helps big dave out.

the Wizard

« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2005, 06:02 AM »
I always fish in the inlet at Silver this time of year.     The bullheads are big every year I can remember ,then they will be in groups of 4-7 at the south end in 4-6' of water[ they will be in circles facing the center ] {I don't know why but I seen it several times}.
 Guys ;Thanks for the tips ,I'll try a couple and let you know.
Catch and release in a hot pan of grease.

mrwalleye

« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2005, 07:46 PM »
It has been crazy this year at silver, I never seen bullhead so big, and they are biting good. I don't have any recipes, I just give them away or release, not interest in eating a bottom feeder. I have been told they are good though. Which part of the lake have you been fishing H2O wizard?
i heard that through the ice, and just after, theyre as good as brown trout....ive never had brown trout  ::)  im gonna eat some this winter, i catch them all the time

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.