FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: A few firsts  (Read 1690 times)

zwiggles

A few firsts
« on: Jun 01, 2019, 08:19 PM »
I got out on some moving water this afternoon from about 430-8. Water levels were a bit above normal, and with free fishing day I saw several other people out.

I saw some rises in the water, but decided to go with my trusty bugger to start. Hooked and lost a trout at the net right away, and then another right after. Stuck with the streamers for a bit because of this but eventually switched over to a dry after seeing several fish come totally out of the water. I had a few hits, but having virtually zero experience with drys I missed them.

Moved downstream with nothing to show, and returned to where I hooked one earlier. After I hooked into several chubs (maybe the same one) I kind of got the timing down for the drys and then I hooked something that fought back:

Even if it only fought back a little it made my night! Tried for a while more, but headed home a happy camper. I was also excited to see a brown as I think they stand a chance to hold over on this river. I was also excited for my first brown from moving water ever, first trout of open water for me this year, and my first dry fly trout.

Got him on this:

Digs

Re: A few firsts
« Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2019, 09:04 PM »
Awesome! Nice looking brownie. I haven't had any luck up here yet on drys.

AquaAssassin

« Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 2019, 09:18 PM »
Nice work Wigs!
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

ScotNH

« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2019, 03:29 AM »
Congrats on the dry fly success. I bet you’re hooked now!

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2019, 09:18 AM »
Well done, nice when a new technique pays off.

zwiggles

« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 2019, 05:22 PM »
Thanks guys for the replies.

Got two more this afternoon in the same manner before getting rained out:

mowbizz

« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2019, 06:46 PM »
Pretty little buggers!  Fun!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2019, 06:36 AM »
Nice work Z!
Wicked Wec

zwiggles

« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2019, 07:51 PM »
Adding to the theme of this thread, I was up in the greater moosehead lakes region in Maine over the long weekend, and managed to hook into and finally land my first ever salmon from moving water. I also feel pretty confident they were both wild fish as well which was another goal I had.

Unfortunately no pictures of the fish as I didn’t have my phone on me, and before I could signal my friend to come down the fish liberated itself from my net and streamer with a burst upstream in maybe 2” of water.

It was my first time up in the area and I will be back. The salmon, although small, had unbelievable power and worked the current and myself with a grace I had yet to encounter with other river fish I have tangled with before.

AquaAssassin

« Reply #9 on: Jul 07, 2019, 06:34 AM »
Awesome!
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #10 on: Jul 08, 2019, 06:32 AM »
Congrats on the salmon as well Z!
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.