FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: CHARCOAL GRILLERS UNITE!!!  (Read 157342 times)

ActiveTrapChecker

Re: CHARCOAL GRILLERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #570 on: Jun 11, 2018, 09:41 AM »
Yup, Luke warm water dissolved the salt and sugar. The bag is full enough to cover the meat completely so I'm happy.

I make a lot of pickles ATC. Most are canned, but some get the refrigerator recipe. Bill can attest to my "pickle prowess". We're down to 3 jars of the "smoking hot" pickles and 1 of the every day spicy variety. There's 10 plants warming up in the bullpen for this year's crop. And .....4 jalapeños. I'll have to buy the Cowhorn and Hungarian hot peppers. I ran out of room with all the potatoes I planted.

Rg

I have read (and enjoyed) about your Horticulture skills and pickle prowess in the gardens thread. I meant I used a weighted jar to make sure the cucumbers were submerged in brine back in the day, before i smartened up and just went to slicing the cucumbers and going directly to the canning jar.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #571 on: Jun 11, 2018, 01:48 PM »
Canned dill pickles.

6 cups White Vinegar (5% acidity)
3 cups distilled water. (Tap water creates a metallic taste)
1/3 cup kosher or canning salt
1/2 cup sugar
 The following seasonings to taste:
Minced garlic
Mustard seed
Celery seed
Dill seed
Fresh dill sprigs
Chopped onion

I add crushed red pepper, jalapeños, cowhorn or Hungarian hot peppers for heat or spice.

Add vinegar, water,  salt and sugar to a non reactive pan and bring to a boil. Keep hot while preparing the jars.

Wash jars lids and rings in hot soapy water and rinse. Sterilize jars in a hot water bath for a full 10 minutes at a full boil. There is no need to sterilize modern lids.

Fill hot jars with onion, garlic, and spices and pack full with pickles. Add a slice of hot pepper if you choose.

Ladle hot brine into jars leaving 1/2" space at top. Poke a chopstick into the jar to release any trapped air bubbles. Refill if necessary.

Cover with new, clean canning lid and tighten ring just finger tight.

Submerge in hot water bath and bring water temps to at least 200 degrees for a full 10 minutes.

Remove and place towel on counter till completely cooled and sealed.

Place any jars that do not seal in the fridge and consume within 2 weeks.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #572 on: Jun 12, 2018, 11:58 AM »
What's your personal preference when smoking ribs? Let's assume that room isn't an issue, so you can't say a rack because i can get more in there. For your favorite, final product, do you lay 'em flat or use a rack?

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #573 on: Jun 12, 2018, 05:11 PM »
I like a St. Louis cut. Give them a good rub 2 days prior to smoking. Put them on the smoker rack bone side down.I may turn or rotate the racks but never flip them.   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #574 on: Jun 12, 2018, 07:28 PM »
I smoke  baby back cuts on the rotisserie. I'm doing a couple racks next Wednesday for our neighborhood happy hour. There's only 1000 ways to cook ribs. Pick one you like and try it.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #575 on: Jun 13, 2018, 08:40 AM »
For ribs i actually like to toss them on the grill first for 2 minutes on each side for a nice grill mark, then they go into the smoker. I also feel like this seals in the juices and they come out much more tender. But as stated, 1000 ways to make ribs.

Not sure if anyone tried it but brined and smoked chicken wings are amazing.
Wicked Wec

fishinator

« Reply #576 on: Jun 13, 2018, 09:10 AM »
I may get fried for this but the 3,2,1 method for ribs works perfect. 3 hours on the smoker, 2 hours wrapped in foil with some apple cider, then last hour over higher heat with sauce. falls off the bone.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #577 on: Jun 13, 2018, 10:10 AM »
For ribs i actually like to toss them on the grill first for 2 minutes on each side for a nice grill mark, then they go into the smoker. I also feel like this seals in the juices and they come out much more tender. But as stated, 1000 ways to make ribs.

Not sure if anyone tried it but brined and smoked chicken wings are amazing.

I've grilled, then sauced (Franks/butter & BBQ) then smoked wings. Flavor is amazing

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #578 on: Jun 13, 2018, 11:01 AM »
Yup same technique I use.

As for fall off the bone ribs - I sometimes prefer them not fall of the bone but more towards very tender.
Wicked Wec

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #579 on: Jun 13, 2018, 03:13 PM »
Wings .....I like to sort of brine them. I use Franks, Wishbone Italian dressing, lemon juice and cider vinegar and my dry rub. I let them sit in the fridge overnight, tossing them when I remember to.

I bake them on the Weber at around 325 and add some smoke when the spirit moves me to. At the end I bump the temps to 400 or so and baste them with my BBQ sauce concoction for the last 15 minutes and let them crust up nice.

There's never any left.

Just turned the pork loin. Can't wait to smoke that hunk of meat.

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #580 on: Jun 13, 2018, 07:13 PM »
I've never met a rib I didn't like. Ha ha.  8)

Wings I too sort of brine or marinade similar to Bob's, but no Frank's. I don't like spicy, hot, or Buffalo.   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Mac Attack

« Reply #581 on: Jun 13, 2018, 08:30 PM »
I smoke  baby back cuts on the rotisserie. I'm doing a couple racks next Wednesday for our neighborhood happy hour. There's only 1000 ways to cook ribs. Pick one you like and try it.

Rg

I’ve been there.
Small neighborhood.
But only a couple racks??
Enough for 4 people.
Or enough for a taste of them for 8.

Go get 5-6 more racks Bob.

😎

Mac Attack

« Reply #582 on: Jun 13, 2018, 08:34 PM »

As for fall off the bone ribs - I sometimes prefer them not fall of the bone but more towards very tender.

Ahhhh......
Isn’t that the same thing?
Tender and falling off the bone?
So how do you get them “more towards tender”, but TOUGH enough to stay on the bone?

😈

Mac Attack

« Reply #583 on: Jun 13, 2018, 08:37 PM »
I've never met a rib I didn't like. Ha ha.  8)

Wings I too sort of brine or marinade similar to Bob's, but no Frank's. I don't like spicy, hot, or Buffalo.   ;D

Franks is far from spicy or hot.
But I understand.
Sometimes I enjoy wings non-Buffalo style.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #584 on: Jun 14, 2018, 02:11 AM »
I’ve been there.
Small neighborhood.
But only a couple racks??
Enough for 4 people.
Or enough for a taste of them for 8.

Go get 5-6 more racks Bob.

There's usually only 5 of us. The two girls eat like birds. Besides, it's only appetizers.....not dinner really.

Rg

😎

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.