FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Chumming for perch  (Read 6422 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Chumming for perch
« Reply #15 on: Oct 15, 2021, 03:33 AM »
so if i clean fish i can throw the remains in for chum ......hmmmmm
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

trapper2000

« Reply #16 on: Oct 15, 2021, 04:10 AM »
what state you from and the key words are  "in excess" what exactly is  in excess , my point isn't  really about chumming  it's about tossing a  bucket of  fish guts in the river getting caught then saying i'm chumming for catfish......i think and  this is my opinion ....before i "chummed" i would  contact the DEC.....just saying

taxid

« Reply #17 on: Oct 15, 2021, 04:31 AM »
in my state yes its legal to chum fish parts.  the idnr just says "not in excess".  like guys taking 55gal drums on grain or scraps would be a no no.  a 5 gallon bucket would be considered legal chum.  that came from email response years ago.  its not my opinion trap.

Fish Hogger and I know some people that get carried away with the corn chum for trout on a few of our trout lakes. I've seen tons of it laying n the bottom all moldy. Some people are just idiots.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

filetandrelease

« Reply #18 on: Oct 15, 2021, 04:35 AM »
 http://
No person shall take or attempt to take any fish by means of chumming with fish eggs. For the purposes of this section, “chumming” means depositing fish eggs, not attached to a hook, in the waters of the State of New York other than in the Marine and Coastal District.
 Curious  if you can’t clean fish within 100 feet of shore,  so how can you use fish guts to chum with in a River

Badbrad2186

« Reply #19 on: Oct 15, 2021, 10:56 AM »
so if i clean fish i can throw the remains in for chum ......hmmmmm

Yes even in NYS just have to be 100 feet off shore.

Badbrad2186

« Reply #20 on: Oct 16, 2021, 06:57 AM »
100' off shore?  what people dont like swimming with fish lungs and intestines floating around them?  lmao

Not sure why but know that it's the law.

bbfrogger

« Reply #21 on: Oct 16, 2021, 08:18 AM »
We have a somewhat rocky shoreline in front of our camp with a lot of crayfish .... I usually cut up the skin in smaller pieces and feed them that and a few other scraps ..... the guts I throw in a bucket and take out in the middle of a small shallow bay where there are a lot of snappers. They clean it up fast.  In the winter it goes in my compost pile ..... never thought about chumming with it .....hmmmmmm.  My neighbor even started feeding the crayfish now too - hahaha

taxid

« Reply #22 on: Oct 16, 2021, 09:08 AM »
We have a somewhat rocky shoreline in front of our camp with a lot of crayfish .... I usually cut up the skin in smaller pieces and feed them that and a few other scraps ..... the guts I throw in a bucket and take out in the middle of a small shallow bay where there are a lot of snappers. They clean it up fast.  In the winter it goes in my compost pile ..... never thought about chumming with it .....hmmmmmm.  My neighbor even started feeding the crayfish now too - hahaha

Do you ever catch the crayfish for bait? They are outstanding bait especially for smallmouth bass. Don't even have to be in the soft phase. As a taxidermist I have found crayfish in the stomachs of all species except the smaller panfish.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bbfrogger

« Reply #23 on: Oct 16, 2021, 11:43 AM »
Do you ever catch the crayfish for bait? They are outstanding bait especially for smallmouth bass. Don't even have to be in the soft phase. As a taxidermist I have found crayfish in the stomachs of all species except the smaller panfish.

Good question - actually thats why the rocks are there - decades ago I brought small boat loads of flat rocks and stacked them right along the shoreline so I wouldn't have to go all over the lake to catch crayfish - the crayfish moved in and I'd just step out the door and they are there - hahaha.  I don't really fish for bass any more but I keep the crayfish happy anyway ......  I've had pretty good luck with perch on crayfish tails too, and even caught a few trout on them under bobbers .......  I used to keep the crayfish in a fish box for bait before I had the rocks,  and made the mistake of throwing the bass I caught that night in the same box, to be cleaned the next day .... when I went out to clean the fish the crabs were all gone.  when I cleaned the bass I found them - a couple were still alive - hahaha

Badbrad2186

« Reply #24 on: Oct 16, 2021, 03:02 PM »
Have caught lots of perch on crayfish

62 & Done

« Reply #25 on: Oct 16, 2021, 06:17 PM »
  I heard a guy catches a perch thru the ice  then takes the eggs out and mixes them up in bottle full of water.  He dumps a little down the hole now and then.  I guess it works but it plays havic with your flasher    all those little marks    sounds like that's not legal  ?   What happens in your shanty stays in your shanty

bbfrogger

« Reply #26 on: Oct 17, 2021, 08:56 AM »
Sounds that way ...... "No person shall take or attempt to take any fish by means of chumming with fish eggs."  Chumming is defined as " depositing in the water any substance, not attached to a hook, which may attract fish."  I would thing the officer would have to be pretty tough to ticket what you are saying the first time he see's it but it wouldn't surprise me either .....

taxid

« Reply #27 on: Oct 17, 2021, 12:52 PM »
  I heard a guy catches a perch thru the ice  then takes the eggs out and mixes them up in bottle full of water.  He dumps a little down the hole now and then.  I guess it works but it plays havic with your flasher    all those little marks    sounds like that's not legal  ?   What happens in your shanty stays in your shanty

That's odd as perch eggs are in gelatinous strands. And they have a natural adverse taste to predators.

trapper2000

« Reply #28 on: Oct 17, 2021, 03:59 PM »
i chum with a  kastmaster  and  perch eye ........just saying  :rotflol:

bbfrogger

« Reply #29 on: Oct 17, 2021, 06:11 PM »
i chum with a  kastmaster  and  perch eye ........just saying  :rotflol:

My great uncle used to use kielbasa on a pimple for perch ..... he would go to a hole I cut and caught nothing in and would be reeling them in one after another ..... very irritating some days when I had no kielbasa - hahaha.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.