FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: bullheads!!!!!  (Read 19784 times)

fishinator

Re: bullheads!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: Apr 14, 2019, 02:43 PM »
You guys should come to Indiana. We have tons of bullheads. Nobody targets them.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #31 on: Apr 14, 2019, 03:28 PM »
It's a spring ritual around here. I've been going out for bullhead since......well......1960 or so.  My brother and I used to go bullhead fishing when I was a kid.

Trapper's correct. It's very realaxing to sit by a pond or lake in early spring. Listen to the peepers and the hiss of a 50 year old Coleman lantern,  chase the bugs, catch a few fish and have a great meal.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

gotagetm

« Reply #32 on: Apr 14, 2019, 04:14 PM »
its not that at all greensider i catch them for people in seneca lake in feburary and that water is just a degree or two above freezing,if you get a south wind there in winter you can get them...just not a fan is all

gotagetm

« Reply #33 on: Apr 14, 2019, 04:17 PM »
i like fishing for them along with cats just sitting chilling out ,but give them away, i have plenty of people who take them

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #34 on: Apr 14, 2019, 05:49 PM »

Really wanted to get out this weekend, but we are working non stop on the homestead. We built a new home last fall, and this spring we are building a pole barn with a bit of help from ole KP. So we sent the weekend taking everything we could ot of the old... and I mean old barn, putting it in a pod, and getting ready for the new one.

I digress, Like Rg and Trapp said, Smaller ones are better than big ole Lakers, Yellers are better than Brown's, and Blacks from a spring fed pond, or stream are the best of them all  :D Trapp, try throwing a few in a bag with XVOO, cajun and garlic for 12 hours, then cook em low and slow over some charcoal.... man oh man what a spring treat! 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #35 on: Apr 14, 2019, 07:08 PM »
Try filleting them, top with home made salsa and Parmesan cheese, wrapped in parchment paper and roasted on the Weber......Charcoal that is!

Oh man!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #36 on: Apr 14, 2019, 08:27 PM »
i got 8 in the cooler swimming around  fed the raccoon two white perch and a dink yellow perch (i counted him on my limit) and i am prebaiting for trapping so all legal  ;D....got home picked up 3 dozen crawlers  my back hurts  so having a rolling rock  ;D...all 10 to 12 inchers 
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

greensider

« Reply #37 on: Apr 15, 2019, 04:18 AM »
Pre baiting sure more like want and waste shame shame shame

trapper2000

« Reply #38 on: Apr 15, 2019, 05:00 AM »
Pre baiting sure more like want and waste shame shame shame

wrong wrong wrong green  signs all along lake neatahwanta  says to dispatch any white perch you catch   and  a  dink perch that  swallowed the  hook and  bleeding  from his  gills is not waste to toss to a raccoon ........waste ? do i care  ...no i don't , please go hug  a tree  over there >>>>>

ya know  picking  nightcrawlers   can make a old man sore   :rotflol: but our bait supply is restocked ,i will be heading out  in a little while  to  add more fish to the cooler ( RG probably has me looking like a fool keeping these things in a cooler of fresh water) ...... i am planning on truying the grilled bullhead  recipes  ;D i am also going to toss some in my air fryer ....worked good on walleyes

bbfrogger

« Reply #39 on: Apr 15, 2019, 07:19 AM »

wrong wrong wrong green  signs all along lake neatahwanta  says to dispatch any white perch you catch   and  a  dink perch that  swallowed the  hook and  bleeding  from his  gills is not waste to toss to a raccoon ........waste ? do i care  ...no i don't , please go hug  a tree  over there >>>>>

ya know  picking  nightcrawlers   can make a old man sore   :rotflol: but our bait supply is restocked ,i will be heading out  in a little while  to  add more fish to the cooler ( RG probably has me looking like a fool keeping these things in a cooler of fresh water) ...... i am planning on truying the grilled bullhead  recipes  ;D i am also going to toss some in my air fryer ....worked good on walleyes

You're right about picking the night crawlers - I never used to "let" myself come back in unless I had picked at least 100 in a night - now if I get to 75 I don't even think about keeping picking - hahaha.  I think you meant hug a pickerel, not hug a tree  ;D  The raccoons (and foxes and coyotes and eagles) in my neighborhood just named me their "fisherman of the year"   :D

trapper2000

« Reply #40 on: Apr 15, 2019, 07:44 AM »
in Phoenix  on the river we  had a  hurt blue heron and all the  fisherman last year tossed  him  dink perch ....he  healed up  ....he still comes around  but now is fishing for himself  .....i have pickers of  him eating perch i tossed him and a  video i'll try to post it later i have  had  a eagle  hit the  creek i was  fishing  and  grab a  trout but i have  never  fed one  ....that would be  so cool

taxid

« Reply #41 on: Apr 15, 2019, 08:10 AM »
You guys should come to Indiana. We have tons of bullheads. Nobody targets them.

And big ones too. I caught a yellow bullhead once that was close to a world record. Lots of big brown bullheads in Clear Lake east of Freemont.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #42 on: Apr 15, 2019, 08:12 AM »
Tradition, rite of spring, whatever you call it.....we always enjoy a good bullhead chowder with fresh spring leaks (ramps) wild onions. Just something we've been doing, enjoying, for years. The onions need a few weeks though.  :thumbup_smilie:

catskills

« Reply #43 on: Apr 15, 2019, 09:11 AM »
What methods do you guys use in the rivers? I want to try this

bbfrogger

« Reply #44 on: Apr 15, 2019, 11:54 AM »
in Phoenix  on the river we  had a  hurt blue heron and all the  fisherman last year tossed  him  dink perch ....he  healed up  ....he still comes around  but now is fishing for himself  .....i have pickers of  him eating perch i tossed him and a  video i'll try to post it later i have  had  a eagle  hit the  creek i was  fishing  and  grab a  trout but i have  never  fed one  ....that would be  so cool

They are cool birds - I mostly fish the small lakes in Madison county - the eagle(s) don't come down to feed when we are on the ice but I've seen them come down after we pack up and are in the truck to take the odd pickerel that might have been left behind (accidentally of course - once in a while 1 seems to slip out of my sled some how) ;D .  I've seen 7 of various ages at once feeding on a deer carcass on the ice a couple years ago too.  Pretty impressive site

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.