FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Salmon in Aeroflex/Wawawanda???  (Read 8168 times)

projoe

Re: Salmon in Aeroflex/Wawawanda???
« Reply #15 on: Jun 05, 2007, 04:18 PM »
best time for trout is right after it rained and it is still overcst just cast cleos or drift herring and u should be in the money

projoe

« Reply #16 on: Jun 29, 2007, 10:27 PM »
any word on the salmon ?

tonyr

« Reply #17 on: Aug 06, 2007, 10:21 AM »
No word on the salmon. Fished there Saturday 8/4 from before sun up 04:30 till 13:00.
No trout.They want herring and only herring, not shiners.
Picked some pick. and 15 inch brown bullhead and a med/lg bluegill that swallowed the 3 inch shiners we were fishing.
Had a few hits in the 13-16 fow range over 50-80 fow and broke 2 off without seeing them over the deep. Using 4Lb. test with a hook and split only.
Nice day, not hot because of perfect breeze all day.
Only guy I talked to had a 3.5 trout on herring, did not say weather it was a brown/bow/salmon.
 ;D ;D ;D Planning on going again late this week.

tonyr

« Reply #18 on: Aug 06, 2007, 10:27 AM »
Almost forgot. The fish were spread from 7 fow to the bottom all over the lake. the white anchor line and black anchor finally became invisible between 10-11 fow. 78-79 surface temp, 66 at 16 fow and colder the further you went down. Stopped checking the temp at 30-35 fow when it hit mid/high 50's. Can't begin to guess what the marks were that showed from 16 down to the bottom. Need to talk to the state bio guys and ask what they think.   

CAPTJJ

« Reply #19 on: Aug 06, 2007, 11:26 AM »
Tony,
That 30-35 feet of water, where the temp is in the mid 50's, is where you want to fish this time of year for the trout and especially the salmon. Good luck.

Scientist

« Reply #20 on: Aug 06, 2007, 11:47 AM »
In the past, I caught channel cats on the bottom of 60 feet of water in the first half of the lake. Oddly enough they were caught on live herring. Never marked any fish on the bottom in the back half of the lake deeper than 60 feet of water. I have seen fish suspended in 80 fow, but they were 25 feet down.

chuck172

« Reply #21 on: Aug 06, 2007, 12:57 PM »
which lake-Aeroflex or Wawawanda?

Scientist

« Reply #22 on: Aug 06, 2007, 01:09 PM »
Wawawanda

tonyr

« Reply #23 on: Aug 06, 2007, 02:52 PM »
Well unless my finder is playing tricks, the spread in Waway was top to bottom, More fish higher up but fish showed all over. Next trip I will change the range to look at more detail to see the marks down deep. I normally fish slip floats this time of year because the fish are invariably down deeper. I had better luck several weeks ago in the first pool, but have been going to the back part of the lake of late. I'll take that advice and work the 30+ water from now on.

There was some bait on the surface but not much because of the temp. Seems everything is down deeper this time of year if its got spots and not stripes.  I find it odd that the channel cats are active in the deep in the first pool on herring because if I had the temp thing even close, the water down below 50 fow must be in the high 40's, low 50's max. I need to drop the temp probe down there and verify the temp break.  I always thought cats of all kinds were more active and actively sought out warmer water not colder. I know I've caught several channels over the years thought the ice, but I'm talking about more active fish and their preferred temp range which is 80-90, below mid 50's is to cold. Oh well, it's going to be interesting trying the deep for the bigger cats.

chuck172

« Reply #24 on: Aug 06, 2007, 04:57 PM »
There are schools of herring @ big Swartswood. The bigger fish seem to be hanging out at 10-15 feet. Very tough lake to fish. Fish are big but hard to come by.

projoe

« Reply #25 on: Aug 06, 2007, 08:30 PM »
i never been to wawa but maybe during the day they seek the darkness of the deep water then as the sun goes down they go into the shallows

metaliczombi

« Reply #26 on: Aug 06, 2007, 10:16 PM »
I've caught trout throughout the summer trolling rapalas or spoons in the 20-30ft range in the past up here.  I have yet to get up there this year.  Late last summer and very early fall I caught a few salmon in the same depth range too.  The trout are usually predictable as far as the smaller ones but I have yet to get anything of real size; though I have seen some monsters swimming near the surface even over 60-80ft of water.  I just recently picked up a couple planer boards (Yellow Birds) to troll for walleye and trout, can't wait to try them out.

tonyr

« Reply #27 on: Aug 07, 2007, 07:18 AM »
The water is extremely clear at Wawa right now. Not like the Valley but clear for a North Jersey lake, as mentioned in another post, 10-11 feet down before I lost sight of the anchor line. Light line, fluorocarbon if you have it, small hooks and minimal terminal tackle with long leadres. There are always big trout being taken up there, by some regulars, with herring. What really kills me, not being able to target the crappie, there are lots of them and they are big. My only luck has been when the weather has been poor sometimes on bait, sometimes on 2 inch tails.

Scientist

« Reply #28 on: Aug 07, 2007, 03:38 PM »
I just recently picked up a couple planer boards (Yellow Birds) to troll for walleye and trout, can't wait to try them out.
I have found they are not as effective with an electric trolling motor as they are with an outboard. The speed is always consistent with the outboard. They are OK with the trolling motor if there is no wind

metaliczombi

« Reply #29 on: Aug 08, 2007, 05:59 PM »
I would guess they would tend to stay farther back behind the boat then pull out from the boat right?  Meaning more line has to be put out to get them to be as far from the boat with less forward or consistent forward force.  That's what I kinda figured but then anything that gets the presentation away from the boat and is different than what I am doing now will lead to different results, better I hope.

I heard some good catches recently up at Wawayanda on herring for trout.  Not too deep either.  Morning catches are in the 18-20ft range.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.