FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: open water (no ice) fishing in north Jersey.  (Read 5382 times)

Basskicker

Re: open water (no ice) fishing in north Jersey.
« Reply #15 on: Apr 01, 2007, 10:51 AM »
Almost forgot,water is a little stained.

tonyr

« Reply #16 on: Apr 01, 2007, 04:15 PM »
B-kicker, thanks for the details. I fish north-west Jersey unless I am at the shore. Hoptcong, Monksville, Newark Water shed lakes (4 of em), Highpoint state park, Waywayanda, Silver lake and Lake Areoflex. Fish 12 months a year as long as I can walk on it or put a boat on it. Was surprised that the shallow stained water at Big Swartswood which was between 42-48 did not produce a touch. Things should be picking up, but you could not tell by what I have done in the last 4 weeks, other than missing a 10 pound prown on Areoflex.

Basskicker

« Reply #17 on: Apr 02, 2007, 03:07 AM »
I used to fish tournaments at Hopatcong and Greenwood lakes.I would say those lake temps are much cooler due to the size of the lakes.The lakes I am fishing are much smaller and tend to warm up much quicker.

tonyr

« Reply #18 on: Apr 02, 2007, 03:53 AM »
Had warm water on top. Did not check deep down, to lazy I guess. The top was consistant on the wind blown shore on the beach side. Was counting on warm water blowing in and cold/deep water moving out. Tried rocks, weeds and shorelines. I have done well on the crappie in this location on occasion, although it's early, it's normally a temperature and sunlight driven bite. Never open water fished Greenwood, just the white perch circus on the mid-to-north end of the lake.

It's early, but the opener looks to be cold if not wet and nasty. Oh well, planning on a small lake to take a few trout from.

keva

« Reply #19 on: Apr 02, 2007, 06:14 AM »
Hey, I was just checking to see what seasons are open in NJ(Pike, Bass, Trout)?. I may be going down there to fish tomorrow.

tonyr

« Reply #20 on: Apr 02, 2007, 07:35 AM »
Down where? Most of us on this board don't have the powers of a Swami and can't tell what you are thinking unless you spell it out. Good luck when you do go. Trout is closed until Saturday. There are rules that allow fishing but they are involved and have many conditions. Either study the compendium or-visit the state website and study the compendium on line.

keva

« Reply #21 on: Apr 02, 2007, 10:11 AM »
I was just looking through the state website. Sorry for not mentioning where I was going. I am from New York, but our family use to live in New Jersey. I will be fishing in Sussex. I was thinking about the Wallkill for pickerel and bass, is that legal? I came to the conclusion that it was from the website but wasn't positive. Are there any good ponds in the area for pike or bass?

tonyr

« Reply #22 on: Apr 02, 2007, 01:31 PM »
Can't help on the Wallkill, even though I cross it several times going to work and returning home. You can fish for Bass at Wawayanda, not a lot of access, but they rent boats when the season gets going, there are boat launches at each lake I am naming, some free, some you pay. There are not many lakes for Pike in Sussex county, if any. Pickerel are every place. Both Hoptcong and Monksville are good for pike, then you need to go south for more lakes.

Basskicker

« Reply #23 on: Apr 02, 2007, 04:31 PM »
Tony,keep in mind your lakes up there are much bigger and much deeper than most in my area.Also it tends to stay colder much longer up north than down here.I'd guess you are a couple weeks behind where I fish.I'm sure your water is quite a bit colder .If I go down tonight I'll check the water temp.I just checked my log book,and as of Jan.1 I have caught 133 crappie,63 yellow perch,28 L.M. Bass,and 10 pickeral.All of these fish were caught on 1/16 oz. hair jigs.I keep wanting to change over to my regular bass gear,but I'm still doing so good with the jigs,I just can't put them away!P.S.....I also fish Assunpink and Stone Tavern lakes,so if you ever plan a trip there,I have some good info.

NormS

« Reply #24 on: Apr 02, 2007, 05:12 PM »
There are no Pike in either Monksville or Hopatcong..The only public lake in Sussex County with Pike is Cranberry Lake. Budd and Pompton Lakes also have a decent Pike fishery as does the Passaic River. It is illegal to fish any stocked streams/rivers before 8 am Saturday, period. Doesn't matter if you are targeting a species other than Trout.
Norm

keva

« Reply #25 on: Apr 02, 2007, 05:33 PM »
Sorry guys I am still a bit confused. Pickerel is all year right? Am I allowed to target bass yet? I understand you can't fish places stocked with trout, but I read on some refuge website that Wallkill is not considered trout waters. I will look through the NJ wildlife website again for more answers. I will be sure to take some hair jigs to try out. Thanks for the information guys!

kuz

« Reply #26 on: Apr 02, 2007, 08:01 PM »
99% sure all of the Walkill is closed till Trout season opens. There are a lot of lakes up in Sussex for Bass or pickrel, but Pike you will have to take a ride to Budd Lake or Cranberry. Check out Budd (Morris county), you'll probobly have better luck from the shore there. (assuming you are shoreline fishing). 

Fished Hopatcong today, just a couple of perch. nothing exciting

keva

« Reply #27 on: Apr 03, 2007, 04:47 AM »
Thanks cuz! I have a float tube I am taking. I will try a lake for pickerel and bass then.

tonyr

« Reply #28 on: Apr 03, 2007, 06:36 AM »
Float tube? A man among men in this cold water period, I have to give credit where it's due. For me a couple of truck innertubes and a 4by12 plank tied on would be what I need. No really, I boat fish all the time. Have a Lund Explorer, 2 trolling motors, 3 fish finders and a down rigger. Don't usually fish much when I'm on the water, just playing with the toys.

keva

« Reply #29 on: Apr 03, 2007, 08:28 AM »
Well I am in NJ now. About to go to a private pond then I will hit up a public one, if I can find a suitable one. I have pretty thick neopreme waders, so I don't get cold.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.