FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Canistear N.W.C.D.C.  (Read 6896 times)

metaliczombi

Re: Canistear N.W.C.D.C.
« Reply #15 on: Jul 16, 2008, 10:08 PM »
Fished up here today from 1:00 - 8:00pm.  Landed a few bass and 2 walleyes.  Finally got that walleye skunk off of my back.  First walleye hit a spinner rig tipped with a leech and the 2nd hit a crankbait.  The walleye I called dinner was 20" and the 2nd walleye was 25".     The bass were few and far between.  The 1st bass I landed was a 2.5lb LMB and that hit a leadhead/grub combo and the rest were dinks and hit a couple other things.  I watched some guys near the dam land a few bass on herring while they were shore fishing.

ratso

« Reply #16 on: Aug 01, 2008, 06:05 AM »
Trolled the better part of the lake, more deep than shallow from 06:00 till 11:00 on Thursday. 5 short smallies CPR'd, small pickerel lost at the boat, and one big yellow perch I put in the box. Water is fairly clear and the temp ran from 77-79 on top. Lots of big rolls on bait on the surface early, but no takers. Forgot to take the twister tails and jigs so I ended up trolling phoebes and flutter spoons and stick baits. Can't wait for the water to cool and do some live bait trolling here this fall. Lake was occupied by no more than 2-3 boats at one time in the 5 hours I spent there.

metaliczombi

« Reply #17 on: Aug 01, 2008, 04:34 PM »
I've been up here a few times recently and I've been hitting some smallies up here on grubs and gulp minnows in about 10-20ft of water.  Either dragged or jigged.  Nothing of any size but they are still fun.  The gulp minnows fall apart easily though.  I'll have a a couple hits, probably small bass/pannies, and when I reel the bait up it's missing the tail. 

ratso

« Reply #18 on: Aug 01, 2008, 06:12 PM »
Same with power bait, no tails, short hits, bumps, shorts for sure, bigs should be coming on-line soon.

caddyman

« Reply #19 on: Sep 05, 2008, 03:42 PM »
Worked the Can on Wednesday from 05:00 to 11:00. One medium pickerel and 3-4 short smallies. Metal and plastic high, low and in between. Tried to target the yellows, but nothing to be found down 10-20 on the bottom, the water is warm,72-74. Trolled the lake in the center, then the entire shoreline. Plenty of herring pods that dive when the sun comes up. Two other boats showed for the day.

hey ratso im new to fishfinder i belong to cherry ridge so i pass canistear all the time can u bring a boat with electric motor  and where do u put it in. also do u need a permit and what is the big catch. thanks caddyman
YOLO you only live once!!!!  Fish till you Die  Hunt to live

metaliczombi

« Reply #20 on: Sep 05, 2008, 04:08 PM »
Need a permit for all 4 Newark watershed lakes.  It's $52.50 for a fishing/boating permit.  The launch for Cannistear is on Cannistear road a little past the first development/lake community.  Easy to drive by if you haven't been there a few times.  3 of the lakes are officially open only until mid October and Echo is open until the end of November.  I wish Cannistear was open till ice up or the end of the year.

ratso

« Reply #21 on: Sep 06, 2008, 10:19 AM »
I missed answering first, you got good info from metaliczombi, but will throw out some bits and pieces. Fished the Can on Friday, only 2 other boats all day. Weekends are busy, weekdays can be very quiet. Watch out for contests, they can draw 20-30 boats and if Clinton is the least hospitable to parking after the first 6-8 boats the Can is a tie if not the worst. Small rig and you can get off on the side of the road, big rig and it gets tweaky on the side of the road away from the launch.

Each lake has its prime target. I will not give you all the answers, but just pique you interest so you do your homework or ask more questions on/off line. There are bass both largemouth and smallmouth, walleye, crappie, big yellow perch, big gills, the ever present pickerel and some cats. Trout are stocked but hard to come by after stocking has ended and the water starts to warm.

You can lose anchors, get blown around and get skunked on a regular basis any where you fish, the Watershed is no exception.

Friday report, 3 bass, a 3. 5 (inch that is) a 13 and a 14. Temp on the surface started at 72, hit 75 between 7 and 1:30. Light wind early to blowing steady later, water clarity was 5-7 feet straight down. Smoked my Minn-Kota 44, lucky I was in the small boat and the wind gods were with me. The motor was 14 years old and I am researching a new one to be used on the 12 Mirror-Craft and the 16 Lund, transom mount, thinking about a 24v, but that wont be real good on the 12 which I fish when alone more often than not. I will buy a new one and see what the bill will be to repair the oldie-but goodie, as a backup.

Long winded today as usual. Enjoy the watershed and good on you when you do. ;D

Scientist

« Reply #22 on: Oct 13, 2008, 11:23 AM »
Does anyone know when the last day this year for the Canistear, Clinton, and Oak Ridge is? I know Echo closes in Nov.

ratso

« Reply #23 on: Oct 13, 2008, 11:44 AM »
The Can, Oak Ridge and Clinton are open till Wednesday. Tried Oak ridge on Sunday and only a few smallies and a 2 pound largemouth. Big crowd. Saturday was the Echo trip, which was very slow. Need to take my row boat to one of the lakes, blew the old Minn Kota a month ago and waited for the dummies at Cabelas to send a new Vector 3X. Put the new motor on the 16 and it did not work out of the box. Just ordered another that wont get here till after Wednesday.

Hey Scientist if you want some company the next 2 days let me know, that is if you are going.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.