FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: skillfull anglers award  (Read 9340 times)

fishkopp

• Team Extreme
skillfull anglers award
« on: Mar 10, 2004, 06:33 PM »
Just in case you didn't know , the state just insituted a catch and release division to this program .   ;D   So there is no reason to kill  trophy fish anymore in hopes of recognition or a pin or a certificate .  8)  So let some of those big girls go and grow for our children to catch and practice selective harvest for our table fare and watch out for adviseries on high mercury content  in our local lakes. It's a fact the larger fish have higher concentrations of mercury then the smaller ones .

good fishing to all and to all a good night

Mike 

LoneWolf

• MFF Mod Team
  • Tight Lines !
Re: skillfull anglers award
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2004, 06:45 PM »
That's great news Mike - it's about time the angler was given the choice of keeping/releasing the fish !  ;D
Those who are brave are free ..       

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2004, 10:09 PM »
The problem is, according to the pamphlet I just picked up, you have to have the fish measured at a tackle shop, liscense agent, or by an authorized Division fisheries biologist, and that could also mean the fish ends up dead unless there one of those 3 options is right next to the place your fishing.

Its nice to have the option of catch and release for the award but the 3 options they give you don't seem practical. They should just allow you to take a picture of the fish on a tape measure to verify length.
Chasing them pigs with fins!

AK isn't coming soon enough....can't wait to fight with 1 grizzly for 100,000 fish instead of 1,000 snaggers for 10.

fishkopp

• Team Extreme
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2004, 05:06 AM »
Mike

The guy from the state told me all you needed was a clear lengh sided photo of the fish for your entry . I call up some of   my NJf&g pals and get this mess straightenned out.

???

Webguy

• Lured into it....... get reel!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2004, 06:55 AM »
All you need is a picture for the release catagory, I submitted one on 1/3/4 and received the certificate within a couple of weeks.

fishkopp

• Team Extreme
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2004, 12:18 PM »
SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION The program is open to resident and non-resident anglers. All fish must be caught in New Jersey waters using a hook and line during legally open seasons. Saltwater species taken from a boat must have been caught from a boat that left from and returned to a New Jersey port during the same trip. Incomplete applications or species that cannot be identified will not be considered for an award. The Division reserves the right to investigate fish identification, angling method and accuracy of measurement and weight. It also reserves the right to reject any application. All applications must be submitted within 30 days of catching the fish. Applications for entries caught in December will not be accepted after January 31 of the new year. A clear, side-view photo that allows accurate identification of the species is required for ALL entries. Photos become the property of the Division and will not be returned. Measurements must be taken measuring from the tip of the nose (with mouth closed) to the tip of the tail. For Adult/Junior categories, fish must be weighed and measured by fishing license agents, tackle shops or authorized Division fisheries biologists. Applications must be signed by the person who weighed the fish and the name of the tackle shop, marina, boat or business should be identified. Mail applications and photos to the: Skillful Angler Awards Program, NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife, P.O. Box 400, Trenton, NJ 08625-0400. NEW JERSEY SKILLFUL ANGLER AWARDS PROGRAM APPLICATION Name ________________________________________________ Age _____ Address _________________________________________________ _______ _________________________________________________ _______________ City _____________________________________State_______ _Zip ______ Daytime Telephone Number ( ) ______________________________ Entry Category ___ Adult ___ Junior (under 16 years old) ___ Catch and Release (Qualification based on length) Fish Species (Angler must complete. Subject to verification by a state biologist.) _________________________________________________ _______________ Weight ______ lbs. ______ ozs. Length _________ Girth _______ Date Caught* ________________ Time __________________ Where _________________________________________________ ________ Caught from: Boat__ Shore__ Surf__ Jetty__ Other (specify)__________ Line Test Used _________ Reel Type__________ Rod Type____________ Lure/Bait _________________________________________________ ______ Certification for Adult and Junior Categories Fish measured and weighed by (establishment's name and address): _________________________________________________ _______________ _________________________________________________ _______________ Telephone Number ______________________________________________ Weighmaster's Name ____________________________________________ Weighmaster's Signature _ ________________________________________ I hereby certify that this fish was caught in New Jersey waters in accordance with state laws and regulations and in the case of Adult/Junior category, that the entry was weighed on a certified scale. Applicant's Signature _________________________ Date _____________ * Application/photo must be submitted within 30 days of catching the fish. Applications for entries caught in December will not be accepted after January 31 of the new year. Mail to: NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife, Skillful Angler Awards Program, P.O. Box 400, Trenton, NJ 08625-0400

fishkopp

• Team Extreme
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2004, 12:22 PM »
The only time you need a varification  is when you wiegh in a fish.

Web guy , we''ll have to do a trip this year .

Mike

Webguy

• Lured into it....... get reel!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2004, 12:36 PM »
Thanks for posting the details Mike, I only found the PDF file and didn't want to have to type it.

The wording could be clearer but there are 3 distinct categories:
Entry Category ___ Adult ___ Junior (under 16 years old) ___ Catch and Release (Qualification based on length)

A clear, side-view photo that allows accurate identification of the species is required for ALL entries. Photos become the property of the Division and will not be returned. Measurements must be taken measuring from the tip of the nose (with mouth closed) to the tip of the tail. For Adult/Junior categories, fish must be weighed and measured by fishing license agents, tackle shops or authorized Division fisheries biologists.

You don't need a ruler in the shot either, here's the picture I sent in:

fishkopp

• Team Extreme
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2004, 07:02 PM »
Those Hopatcong muskies are by far the nicest looking fish  in the state .

Mike K

Nice fish web dude     

ShawnM

• MFF Mod Team
  • Captain Of Team Mercer
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2004, 08:20 AM »
Those Hopatcong muskies are by far the nicest looking fish  in the state .

Mike K

Nice fish web dude     
I guess you never fished Greenwood for them  :o  :o
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Mkid

• FISH ON........
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2004, 07:10 PM »
Echo also has the same leech lake strain....Just as nice. But the only way that fish could be nicer, is if i were holding it......

fishkopp

• Team Extreme
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2004, 07:44 PM »
I guess you never fished Greenwood for them 

SHAWN

I guess you can say I fished Greenwood lake just a couple of times(to many to count) and yes I've caght just a few Greenwood lake muskies . As far I'm concerned the muskie is the best looking fish out there , but I think the hopatcong fish have the nicest markings of all the muskies I've seen in our state .

Michael Kopp (president New Jersey Muskies Inc, Chapter 22 )

www.mi22.com

mark mercer

• Team Mercer
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2004, 09:50 PM »
wow shawn looks like he told u
 ;)

jyoung

« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2004, 09:28 AM »
mkid,
Lake Hopatcong does not have pure leech lake muskies in it the only lake in our state that has that is Echo as you just said, What you are looking at is a Barred Muskie that perhaps may have been cross bred with a leech lake strain or just a barred musky with the bars broken up(that happens)
A leech lake muskie has spots all over it's body with no bars at all.
Mkid, Check out this site   http://www.kneedeepclub.org/
Go to lake species and than go to muskies and at the bottom of that page it will show you the different variations of muskies there are, That does not mean that Lake hopatcong has all those variations of fish, They are just showing you the different types of musky.
Good hunting, Jeff  8)  mi22 release chairman

http://www.mi22.com/pages/1/index.htm

Carl Spackler: We can do that. We don't even need a reason.

NormS

« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2004, 03:10 PM »
I have to agree with fishkopp about Hopatcongs Muskie. Not only are they the prettiest but they also look to be the fattest. My son caught a 42 incher from Hopatcong last season that most definately outweighed the 45-47 inch fish we caught at Greenwood and Echo. The Lake Leech strain in Echo seem to be very thin in comparison,  some almost snakelike. There is one 50+ incher in Echo with some bulk to her however, maybe this season we will get more than a missed vicious boat side strike from her.... Any Day Now

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.