FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Take Home or catch and release  (Read 9050 times)

ShawnM

• MFF Mod Team
  • Captain Of Team Mercer
Take Home or catch and release
« on: Mar 11, 2004, 01:06 PM »
Just like to see how many out there take there fish home  ;D Or catch & release. If you take home what fish do you keep?
I only keep Perch, Crappies, Catfish, Walleye, Smallmouth Bass & Some Trout & maybe 3 Salmon & 2 to 3 Largemouth Bass a year.
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

bayonne

Re: Take Home or catch and release
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2004, 02:04 PM »
mostly trout and crappie and chanel cats bass it depends at one boy scout camp i tell my son to let them all go it is avery small pond and it is used for cub scout summer camp but it is hard for him to let 2-4lb bass go

Webguy

• Lured into it....... get reel!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2004, 02:05 PM »
I keep most of the trout I catch, a few walleye, crappie, perch, or catfish once in a while. Sometimes I'll freeze them and UPS Red a small cooler of fillets to my grandfather who got me started fishing when I was a kid, he's 84 and not as mobile as he used to be. He just can't believe I let any of them go. I release probably 95% of my fish.

jyoung

« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2004, 02:18 PM »
I release 99.9% of my fish, I mostly fish for Musky so all the musky I catch go back.
I sometimes fish in the summer for the wipers, So I'll keep a couple of them for my grandmother, She loves them.
Otherwise I'm strikly catch and release
Jeff 8)
Carl Spackler: We can do that. We don't even need a reason.

Cider

« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2004, 02:20 PM »
This would be a great topic for the general discussion board.

I flyfish nearly everyday even if only for an hour or so.  I catch a lot of trout (brookies, bows, some browns) on my flyrod during the season (around 200 or so, never really kept accurate count) and only keep 10 which is my legal possesion limit.  My wife also keeps 10 trout.  This keeps us eating well in the winter.  We keep a few landlock salmon when we get them.  I release all bass I catch.  I will keep some bullhead and panfish but not many.

During ice-fishing season we keep a bucket full of yellow perch, a bucket full of cusk.  Three to four decent sized lakers (4-5 lb and up).  Most fish go back down the hole.

Most people I fish with practice C&R as much as possible.

ShawnM

• MFF Mod Team
  • Captain Of Team Mercer
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2004, 02:21 PM »
Thats really really cool that you do that Webguy for your grandfather  ;D

ShawnM

• MFF Mod Team
  • Captain Of Team Mercer
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2004, 02:22 PM »
No keep it on the NJ post . I just what to find out what's happen in NJ waters.

Cider

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2004, 02:30 PM »
No keep it on the NJ post . I just what to find out what's happen in NJ waters.

Sorry, just thought it was a cool topic.  Didn't realize you were trying to gather specific data.  I will butt out...  :-X

ShawnM

• MFF Mod Team
  • Captain Of Team Mercer
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2004, 02:47 PM »
NO NO nothing like that... You should Start one on that board.  ;D

AJ Agnor

• Team Mercer
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2004, 03:13 PM »
I keep everything thats a limit size, staying with in my limit number, but when I don't need anymore for my freezer I release, or if I'm with shawn. No muskie or pickeral(in open water), but I eat everything I catch so don't worry cause nothing goes to waste.

Cider

« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2004, 03:14 PM »
You should Start one on that board.  ;D

Done!  ;)

ShawnM

• MFF Mod Team
  • Captain Of Team Mercer
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2004, 03:42 PM »
I keep everything thats a limit size, staying with in my limit number, but when I don't need anymore for my freezer I release, or if I'm with shawn. No muskie or pickeral(in open water), but I eat everything I catch so don't worry cause nothing goes to waste.
But I do make you put back the bass you catch when you're with me....

Cheslers

« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2004, 05:00 PM »
I hate cleaning fish, so the only fish I keep are ones I catch on party boats in the Raritan bay...ie Fluke & stripers, where the mates clean em for ya.  ;)

My son however took a liking to my fried perch this winter  ;D, so I may be keeping some more of those.

NormS

« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2004, 05:56 PM »
I keep maybe 4 trout and 2 male Fall Walleye a season.....Enough for 2 meals.(1 trout) (1 Walleye)...All others go back to fight another day..

coryd

« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2004, 06:38 PM »
The only fish I keep are trout that I am planning on eating that night. I used to freeze trout, but didn't like the taste nearly as much as fresh.  I'm glad that people keep fish to eat, that's what they're there for. What drives me crazy are guys with stringers full of fish you know they aren't going to actually clean. I still think alot of yo-yos keep alot of fish just to take a nice picture. These guys aren't true sportsmen though and won't be found on this site. Everyone here seems very serious about their fishing and the welfare of our ecosystems.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.