FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The co$t of a New Jersey Fishing License?  (Read 13592 times)

fishkopp

• Team Extreme
The co$t of a New Jersey Fishing License?
« on: Mar 16, 2004, 06:50 PM »
What do you guys think about the cost of our fishing license and other related concerns ?  ???

One of my biggest concerns is that the person who only goes out once or twice a year and takes his kids fishing isn't going to go anymore.
And that means there's some kids that won't get introduced to one of our favorite pastimes . Maybe we should have a cheap 1 day license for these people . Our fishing  future might depend on it .

Good fishing

Mike K

mark mercer

• Team Mercer
Re: The co$t of a New Jersey Fishing License?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2004, 08:12 PM »
well if someone wants to take the kids out i believe there is a fish for free day sometime in july or june. but you are right i am at college right now and i just went out and bought a cheap rod and reel so i can fish the pond at school, since all my rods and reels at home are too expensive. all my friends up here make fun of me for fishing they dont seem to understand. they think its boring but im breaking through to some of them. i even found one that will come fishing with me in the pond ;D so if u invite someone to come and put them onto fish they will always come back for more. but the one day liscence or even a week liscence would be a great idea.

p.s this weekend im bringing my girlfriend fishing so hopefully we can catch some fish and shell wanna come with me

p.s.s what lake is that in your picture it looks alot bigger than a jersey lake ;)

fishkopp

• Team Extreme
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2004, 08:27 PM »
Mark

Thats a great white north fish ottowa river , 55.5 inches and proud to say released .

Let'em go and let'em grow

Mike

AJ Agnor

• Team Mercer
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2004, 09:13 PM »
I agree, and I'd like to know what the money goes for? With a trout stamp it costs $33.50, seems kind of ridiculous to me. Also, I am pretty sure that the take a kid fishing day is in mid to late june or early july, and you can always take them to local contest... I know that there is the keep kids of drugs fishign contest at franklin pond over the summer, which is for trout, and fish/game holds a fishign contest in the pond at SCCC every yr as well. Havn't gone to that one since I was young, but I believe they still do it.

jyoung

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2004, 09:18 PM »
I agree that they should come up with a one day permit for the Moms or Dads out there that don't fish all the time but were once into fishing when they were kids and now they want to expose there own children to the same.
I think it's important to get the kids involved.
I take my two boys out as much as I can and I feel that if someone that doesn't want to spend the money on a one year license wants to take his or her kids out they should have an option.

Maybe this is something that could be brought to Marty Mchughs attention(head of NJ Fish and Wildlife).

I believe after sitting thru the fish and wildlife meetings and hearing that the amount of licenses bought in New Jersey are on the decline that this could be a problem in the future.
The revenue from licenses is what funds our fish and wildlife programs.
Take a kid fishing, Jeff
Carl Spackler: We can do that. We don't even need a reason.

JigAwhopper

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2004, 11:28 AM »
I personally think that the price of the fishing license is very reasonable,  $22 a year for a license to kill??  Why not,  most folks pay more to fill up their SUVs and trucks every few days.  And you know that the money is going to a good use;  toward stocking programs and maintance of parks and facilities.  You might spend $150 bucks on a rod/reel combo and own a boat, waders, a canoe,  etc.  so it does not make sense to gripe about the cost of a license.   You can take a kid fishing for free until they are 16 years old in NJ and after that they can get a summer job to pay for their own license,  they're not exactly kids anymore.  I did construction work at that age on the w/e's   and had my own cash by then.  Also,,, you can get a 2 day fishing license for $10 right now.  I have a NJ, and NY license and will be getting a Pa license soon.  It's a cost of admission and u have to pay to play,          J.
GONE FISH'G.......

jyoung

« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2004, 12:21 PM »
J,
I think your right the price is very reasonable, but the state has been showing a decline in the amount of licenses being purchased now for a couple of years and if it maintains a decline they will have a problem in the future.
I know that the state is working on some programs to get more kids involved and thats a plus.
Hopfully one of them works, Jeff

JigAwhopper

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2004, 12:54 PM »
I think that license sales are declining also because  in most cases both parents are too busy with earning  a living in NJ because cost of living is so high,  and nobody has time to 'take the kid fishing',  it's easier to take 'em to soccer practice  for an hour instead.   Most people I know play catch up with house work on the  w/e :-\
GONE FISH'G.......

jyoung

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2004, 03:31 PM »
J,
Your probably right and not to mention how does fishing compete with playstation2 and Xbox, I know that's a problem at my house, You have to just about throw them out of the house on a nice day.
Let em go and let em grow, Jeff <*))))))><

fishkopp

• Team Extreme
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2004, 08:26 PM »
Don't forget about the video games and computers , there's lots of kids that would rather stay home and do that then go out and fish .

Mkid

• FISH ON........
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2004, 09:25 PM »
You guys are right on with this. Theres to much competion from other interests, video games, computers ,this damm internet...if fishing or hunting doesn't hook you when your young, you can forget about them being hooked later on....About the price of the liscence its ok. I really think we get alot for our money from the state. walleye, muskie,hybrid stripers,channel cats all being put into ponds and lakes they were never in before..fall and winter trout stocking.The only thing i can complain about is the sea run brown trout program. For the ammount of fish there dumping into the manasquan river, compared to the return of fish being landed. Its a ridiculous waste of resourses that could be put to a better use.....I bet its a 300 to 1 ratio of fish being put in, to being landed. Theres got to be a better way......

AJ Agnor

• Team Mercer
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2004, 10:05 PM »
Everybody has valid points, but the main point is that for the most part why should we have to pay for something that is no ones property???  Last time I checked the states do not own every fish in the state, so why should we have to pay the state to catch them.  Also, don't forget that the license may be $22, but a trout stamp is another $10.50 for those that trout fish. And no offense Jig cause you bring up a good point that kids should get jobs to pay for their own stuff, but not every kid has a job so not all kids have the money to pay for their own licenses.

JigAwhopper

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2004, 09:26 AM »
Hey AJ,  nothing is free in life,  married guys out there can vouch for that one ;D. But seriously. you get what u pay for,  and the NJ fishing license pays for restocking the lakes and the streams.  That's the reason we can still enjoy a decent fishery in one of the most congested states in the union.  Otherwise those places would get fished out in a few years and you would be catching 5" sunnies and nothing else.  I read an article in the flyfisherman about  UK, and how you pay to belong to private clubs or have to shell out $150 a day to fish a private stretch of the stream/ pond,  because public access  limited.  And everything public is fished out anyways.   It's like that all over Europe,  that's why we have it so good over here.  You don't have to pass a stupid exam to get a fishing license, or a boating licencse,you don't need to belong to a club to fish a decent lake and you don't have to worry that after they stock you favorite lake,  someone will get there at nite with nets and clean the place out.  Go to Europe on a vacation with a fishing rod  and you'll gain an insight on how really good we have it here.   $33 to fish?   That's chump change!                           J.
GONE FISH'G.......

mark mercer

• Team Mercer
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2004, 12:49 PM »
maybe if aj got a job he wouldnt complain about money......

p.s u owe me money for bait from last weekend :P

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2004, 12:51 PM »
Hmmmmm, lets see............

ice shanty........$300.00
auger...............$300.00+
Vexilar..............$500.00
gas for the truck..............Ouch!!!
poles, bait, jigs,etc..............no wonder I'm Divorced!!

$34.00 for non-resident fishing license...............Peanuts
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.