FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: All power boats operators in NY will need safety course by 2025  (Read 15670 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: All power boats operators in NY will need safety course by 2025
« Reply #15 on: Aug 08, 2019, 05:49 AM »
you better not sell your  boat!  that's a  classic  here on mff

hey  what  happened  to the  little  pontoon boat?
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

filetandrelease

« Reply #16 on: Aug 08, 2019, 06:09 AM »
 As of 2018 there were 438,891 registered power boaters , I believe 4.5 injuries  per 100,000 ,  78% are alcohol related
 That alone comes to $13,166,730 hmmm

NYC Motor vehicle deaths 2018  = 200
And 114 pedestrians killed ,

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #17 on: Aug 08, 2019, 07:45 AM »
There is a need for boaters education but with mature adults who have been on the water for numbers of years....I don't think so. As filet mentioned the amount of car deaths compared to boating deaths is substantial. Hopefully they don't make us old farts have to take written driver ed course again. I think boating classes are important for young boaters and new boaters....the rest is common sense.
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

Mac Attack

« Reply #18 on: Aug 08, 2019, 08:14 AM »
There is a need for boaters education but with mature adults who have been on the water for numbers of years....I don't think so. As filet mentioned the amount of car deaths compared to boating deaths is substantial. Hopefully they don't make us old farts have to take written driver ed course again. I think boating classes are important for young boaters and new boaters....the rest is common sense.

I took the boater safety course back in the early 80's.
This past spring I took the Florida safe boater course, on line.
It was difficult and it was free.
I learned a lot more and refreshed things I had forgotten.
I am 63 and have been boating ever since I was a kid.
Since I was 21 I have owned and operated over a dozen boats of all sizes and shapes up to 25'.
My point here is that I feel everyone can benefit by taking a boater safety course.

As for paying...………….Florida's was free and on line.
And it was VERY thorough.
I did not score 100% on every test that was required.

This entire thing is simply a money grab.
A good thing about making the safety course required, but charging for it is a money grab.

ShaneO19

« Reply #19 on: Aug 08, 2019, 08:48 AM »
I took the course when I was 12.  I am 33 now.  I lost the one certificate I got within a couple years.  Of course there is no record of me taking the test so I guess I would have to take it again.  It is utter non-sense.  And since you can take it online anyone can probably take it for anyone else. 

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #20 on: Aug 08, 2019, 11:08 AM »
These are the laws in RI -

All those born on or after January 1, 1986, are required to pass an approved boater education course before they legally may operate any vessel powered by a motor of more than 10 horsepower.

Anyone operating a personal watercraft (PWC), regardless of age, must have passed an approved boater education course.

I am not trying to start a war here but its a simple test and you actually learn something from it if you actually pay attention and stop thinking its a waste of time. I did it when I was 15 and do not regret it. 1 time deal and done for life just like a hunter safety course or drivers license. To be honest, I wish trailering was also a separate or combined test. From someone taking 30 minutes to try and back up a jet ski to people almost stabbing each other at public docs. I have zero tolerance for wasted time at a dock. Maybe its just me but I feel like a little education can go a long way.
Wicked Wec

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #21 on: Aug 08, 2019, 12:43 PM »
"Zero tolerance for wasted time at dock"? So you're one of those guys....

caught_the_fever

« Reply #22 on: Aug 08, 2019, 01:20 PM »
Being an out-of-stater, I don't have any skin in this particular case though I've read this thread with interest.  It seems there could be some fine tuning to the execution but I would love to see Maine enact a similar requirement in the spirit of it for all powerboat operators.  I've seen it far too many times where boats are going fast enough to pull a skier within 50 yards of shore - forget the environmental consequences and just think of potential for swimmers.  Had one bearing down on us with every single member of that crew watching the skier, including the operator.  Been left in wakes in our canoe too many times to recall.   They'll always be jerks but due to frequency I'm inclined to believe it's just people who don't know better.

The long term operator situation seems to be a sticky one - I was out on the water in a friend's boat who'd been boating since the 60's.  I rarely had at the time, stuck to paddle propelled craft - we're en route to our spot and I had to tell him to kill the motor as I could see boulders about 3' below water line.  All were marked appropriately, it had just been some time since he operated and he's no where near unintelligent or senile.  Most may be fine but if not properly trained, a lot of bad habits can creep in or things are forgotten as had happened in this case.

These days the various costs, legal fees and settlement of a single fatality could approach that of total revenue from this course.  This is exclusive of the emotional impact on a family who no longer has the affected person(s) in their life.  There are plenty of other things I think all would rather spend $30 on as well but this is likely 1/3 - 1/2 the cost of filling one's boat.  If only driver education was that inexpensive.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #23 on: Aug 08, 2019, 01:22 PM »
"Zero tolerance for wasted time at dock"? So you're one of those guys....

Please do explain..... My meaning of that was, if there is a sign that says 10 minute limit, why are you taking 30? I do not say anything to anyone, I actually laugh at how uneducated people are when it comes to boat ramp etiquette.
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #24 on: Aug 08, 2019, 02:14 PM »
Being an out-of-stater, I don't have any skin in this particular case though I've read this thread with interest.  It seems there could be some fine tuning to the execution but I would love to see Maine enact a similar requirement in the spirit of it for all powerboat operators.  I've seen it far too many times where boats are going fast enough to pull a skier within 50 yards of shore - forget the environmental consequences and just think of potential for swimmers.  Had one bearing down on us with every single member of that crew watching the skier, including the operator.  Been left in wakes in our canoe too many times to recall.   They'll always be jerks but due to frequency I'm inclined to believe it's just people who don't know better.

The long term operator situation seems to be a sticky one - I was out on the water in a friend's boat who'd been boating since the 60's.  I rarely had at the time, stuck to paddle propelled craft - we're en route to our spot and I had to tell him to kill the motor as I could see boulders about 3' below water line.  All were marked appropriately, it had just been some time since he operated and he's no where near unintelligent or senile.  Most may be fine but if not properly trained, a lot of bad habits can creep in or things are forgotten as had happened in this case.

These days the various costs, legal fees and settlement of a single fatality could approach that of total revenue from this course.  This is exclusive of the emotional impact on a family who no longer has the affected person(s) in their life.  There are plenty of other things I think all would rather spend $30 on as well but this is likely 1/3 - 1/2 the cost of filling one's boat.  If only driver education was that inexpensive.

Well said sir!  For the long term operator -  I agree with you but I would still feel better knowing that someone took the course and forgot than to have never taken it in the first place. A lot of people are focused on themselves and that they are safe and etc. Thats fine, I feel the same way but its not me that I am worried about on the water. Its you and the other guy and the guy after that.
Wicked Wec

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #25 on: Aug 08, 2019, 02:15 PM »
It was just an unforgiving statement is all. We've all seen newbies struggle, and also seen launch bullies. I tend to sit back and enjoy the show, or maybe offer some help.

I have no problem with taking the course. And the money grab doesn't surprise me at all. I would like to know their plans for the cash though.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #26 on: Aug 08, 2019, 02:22 PM »
It was just an unforgiving statement is all. We've all seen newbies struggle, and also seen launch bullies. I tend to sit back and enjoy the show, or maybe offer some help.

I have no problem with taking the course. And the money grab doesn't surprise me at all. I would like to know their plans for the cash though.

Rugburn - I agree, I left my comment open. Its not the newbie that gets me, I too offer help. I have even jumped into their vehicles to back them in and or jumped on their boats to drive it onto the trailer. Launch bullies, some verbal some physical but no need for that either way. Its the people that decide to load their entire boat up at the dock when their are 5 other boats trying to launch and 4 trying to dock. Have you ever waited 3 hours to get you boat out because 3 people were so disorganized? Its terrible and fixable.
Wicked Wec

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #27 on: Aug 08, 2019, 02:40 PM »
The launches I hit aren't all that busy, except on a holiday. Around here the traffic jam happens when the morning anglers are coming off and the tubers/recreationalists are heading out. Then the etiquette can go out the window. No amount of school will fix the congestion on those days, and the frustration that goes along with it. I just try and be patient, and not let it ruin my day.

filetandrelease

« Reply #28 on: Aug 08, 2019, 02:59 PM »
The launches can become pretty hectic at times ,
 I have helped out at the launch and so has my wife many times over the years ,
Rugburn I know what your talking about using the ramp to stage and as a tie down area when they are painted out in yellow , last guy I politely ask if he knew about them , what a Richard cranium,
 Somethings are just permanently broke
Just like someone flying out of heavy fog
 Trust me I’m not against the test it’s how it looks , from nov-April boats under 21’ people need to wear PFDs unless they have changed that 1 , bigger boats shouldn’t be exempt IMO

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #29 on: Aug 08, 2019, 04:04 PM »
out of  state fisherman  may  have a  bone in this  fight  just like  helmets on  motorcycles    cell phones  insurance   and  such   new  York  may  ask you to take  the course  as  well  being  someone  from another state I am  sure the  price  will be  double of course .....

I  said  this  with  the  trout limit  .... the  ban on buying lead  weights  ....and  the  new  licenses  ...it  sucks  keep  voting for  morons that  don't listen
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.