FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: All power boats operators in NY will need safety course by 2025  (Read 15674 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: All power boats operators in NY will need safety course by 2025
« Reply #45 on: Aug 09, 2019, 08:55 AM »
You can only get a replacement card if you took the course after 1990 I think. Records before that are not in the computer system.

I like the free course, but, you still have to fork over $10 to Mario to get a card. I don't have to think about it again till 2025.

Rg

RG  I  went to the  DEC  web page  then the  boat us  page it says you  down load the  card  and  print it  yourself  free......
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Johnnh

« Reply #46 on: Aug 09, 2019, 09:28 AM »
I know a fellow boater here in New Hampshire that got a ticket for being on plane within 150 feet from shore. He paid his fine and had to re-take the boaters safety course. Appantly your certificate is cancelled when you get a ticket.

big_guy_13021

« Reply #47 on: Aug 09, 2019, 10:12 AM »
I've had my card for 16 years now ..every year the cayuga county sheriff's office give to courses for free 8 hour course..I wouldn't a had mine if I didnt own a few jetskis ..the sherrifs that give the course even get you pizza for lunch ..not a bad deal .and yes they still give the course ..everyone complains about jetskiers but some boaters are 20 times worse than a jetskier..and trapper your to miserable to kick the bucket any time soon..along with a few others on here :D :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:...besides we are in ny did you expect anything less.

trapper2000

« Reply #48 on: Aug 09, 2019, 11:22 AM »
jet skis  s---

jperch

« Reply #49 on: Aug 09, 2019, 12:19 PM »
It's interesting to me to contrast this boating education requirement with the NYS requirement for hunting with a crossbow.  After these implements became legal for hunting big game the state mandated that hunters who use a crossbow must carry a self issued document that states that you have read some material about hunting with a crossbow.  It costs nothing and is pretty much a joke.  I wonder if a CO ever issued a ticket for not carrying that piece of paper?  Most serious archers would say that if you have not hunted with a bow then you need to take the archery course before taking up a crossbow.  So there is justification for some sort of mandated education.  But now anyway, what they offer is free.  The hunter ed courses are taught by dedicated volunteers, are reasonably extensive and as far as I know are still free.  Thirty dollars for something offered online seems extreme to me.  I took the CG course as a young teenager, I don't mind a refresher.  But for a lot of folks 30 bucks is a burden.  C'mon Andy!

trapper2000

« Reply #50 on: Aug 09, 2019, 03:27 PM »
I  was  checked  last year  for  that card    and he looked  at my archery license  also  and  my  archery tag

there  are  safety  considerations  with a  cross  bow  that you  don't have  with  neither a  firearm nor  bow  ....discharge! cocking  bow  properly ......lubing cables  and  strings  as  well as the  rail..... truth is if there was a  crossbow  course  I  would  want to take  it

Badbrad2186

« Reply #51 on: Aug 09, 2019, 05:08 PM »
I  was  checked  last year  for  that card    and he looked  at my archery license  also  and  my  archery tag

there  are  safety  considerations  with a  cross  bow  that you  don't have  with  neither a  firearm nor  bow  ....discharge! cocking  bow  properly ......lubing cables  and  strings  as  well as the  rail..... truth is if there was a  crossbow  course  I  would  want to take  it

I love my crossbow.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #52 on: Aug 09, 2019, 05:46 PM »
RG  I  went to the  DEC  web page  then the  boat us  page it says you  down load the  card  and  print it  yourself  free......

If it's in the computer system. I took my boater safety course at the US  Coast Guard Station in Charlotte in 1960. Those records are not in the current computer system.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #53 on: Aug 09, 2019, 05:48 PM »

What does a crossbow course have to do with a boating safety course?....

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #54 on: Aug 09, 2019, 06:17 PM »
It's interesting to me to contrast this boating education requirement with the NYS requirement for hunting with a crossbow.  After these implements became legal for hunting big game the state mandated that hunters who use a crossbow must carry a self issued document that states that you have read some material about hunting with a crossbow.  It costs nothing and is pretty much a joke.  I wonder if a CO ever issued a ticket for not carrying that piece of paper?  Most serious archers would say that if you have not hunted with a bow then you need to take the archery course before taking up a crossbow.  So there is justification for some sort of mandated education.  But now anyway, what they offer is free.  The hunter ed courses are taught by dedicated volunteers, are reasonably extensive and as far as I know are still free.  Thirty dollars for something offered online seems extreme to me.  I took the CG course as a young teenager, I don't mind a refresher.  But for a lot of folks 30 bucks is a burden.  C'mon Andy!

bbfrogger

« Reply #55 on: Aug 09, 2019, 06:23 PM »
Please do explain..... My meaning of that was, if there is a sign that says 10 minute limit, why are you taking 30? I do not say anything to anyone, I actually laugh at how uneducated people are when it comes to boat ramp etiquette.

With all due respect you're coming across like a real jack@ss.  Instead of laughing maybe you should give the people struggling a hand with all of your incredible knowledge and talent.  SMH

trapper2000

« Reply #56 on: Aug 09, 2019, 06:24 PM »
What does a crossbow course have to do with a boating safety course?....

Rg

I  think  jperch was  making the  comparisons  and  differences  in the  boater safety course  and  the  crossbow safety card  ...I replied with the info that in deed I was  checked  ......  it's  called  conversation and  not bantor  RG  I  remember a time  you  enjoyed it  ...sorry if we  annoyed you...

I  like  mine  too badbrad  but I like my  bow  to   

trapper2000

« Reply #57 on: Aug 09, 2019, 06:28 PM »
With all due respect you're coming across like a real jack@ss.  Instead of laughing maybe you should give the people struggling a hand with all of your incredible knowledge and talent.  SMH

frogger  at  times  I seen  people ot ramps  being  jerks  others I seen  people  really needing help like a old  man  trying to  get in the water  quickly  because of  the line  unhook his  trailer  from the  hitch .... funny  now  not funny when the old  boy  was almost crying  ....... if folks  need a hand  were sportsmen  lets  help them out 

oh darn  this  has  nothing to  do  with the  boaters  safety  course  ...i'm  going to get scolded again  guys :(

lowaccord66

« Reply #58 on: Aug 09, 2019, 07:21 PM »

Is he or are you deciding he is because you interpreted what he wrote that way?  If you knew the man you'd never ever write that.  I can think of some choice words for people that are quick to judge others...but someone already mentioned Richard C.

jperch

« Reply #59 on: Aug 09, 2019, 09:49 PM »
The point I was trying to make is that the state is inconsistent in how seriously they take certifications and also in their pricing policy.  The state would purchase software rights for the course for a certain period of time from some vendor.  The unit cost per boater would be substantially less than 30 dollars.  So I have to think they could offer an online boating course for free or for a lot less than 30 dollars.  Sorry if I was confusing, bad migraine day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.