FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: trolling motor battery help  (Read 4621 times)

iceman cometh

• "Hardwater Philosopher"
trolling motor battery help
« on: Mar 11, 2020, 11:46 AM »
Sorry, I'm sure this is probably a topic that's been discussed elsewhere, but I haven't been on this "side of the site (iceshanty)" in years. I've got a 55lb. thrust minn kota trolling motor that I run on an 110 amp hour battery. I left the battery out all winter without a charge, so I'm sure it's toast. It did take a full charge recently though, but I'm scared to test her on the water. My boat is small 2 man with wheels built in the back, 10 foot I think. Due to the d**n weight of the big battery, could I run my boat on two 55 amp hour batteries, (or even three 34 amp hour), switching from one battery to the next when one gets low, and still get the same amount of run time as the 110 amp hour? I rarely ever run my motor on high and often I just cruise a few yards and then anchor and cast. Hell, could I even get away with the 34 amp hour like a kayak/canoe? I do what to fish all day though, if possible.
"If the doors of perception were cleansed, we would see things as they are...infinite." -- Aldous Huxley

"A wise man once said, you can kill with a fountain pen." -- Bob Dylan

lowaccord66

Re: trolling motor battery help
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2020, 03:01 PM »
Incredibly difficult and technical question to answer without a degree in electrical engineering.  It won't be cheap but a lithium battery with the same ah rating would be much lighter.

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2020, 04:55 PM »
First of all, this is not Iceshanty.

You can run two 55 Ah batteries in parallel and get 110 Ah and stay at 12 vdc.
If you put them in series you get 56 Ah but now have 24 vdc.

Hope that helps.

FishGut

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2020, 05:48 AM »
First of all, this is not Iceshanty.

Sure it is. It even says so right at the top of every page: "MyFishFinder Forum*Softwater side of Iceshanty"

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2020, 07:44 AM »
Nope

Update - just saw it - upper right corner - I stand corrected.
Sorry for the confusion.
Carry on.

;D

iceman cometh

• "Hardwater Philosopher"
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2020, 06:24 AM »
Whoa, I didn't mean to cause a "discussion" on what site this is, unless I'm not picking up on some sarcasm here. But I do remember years ago when this site started as the softwater side of Iceshanty. Anyway, thanks Mac Attack for the info. I knew about running them in parallel or in series, but what I meant was could I run one battery first until it gets too low then unhook my motor and hook it on the second battery and run that one until the charge is low. The run time wouldn't have to be the same, but kinda close. I'm trying to split up the amount of weight I have to carry to the boat on each trip loading it.
"If the doors of perception were cleansed, we would see things as they are...infinite." -- Aldous Huxley

"A wise man once said, you can kill with a fountain pen." -- Bob Dylan

mcully

« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2020, 09:40 AM »
YES you can. Charge both before your trip, bring the right wrench and switch when one runs low.
I've pulled a trolling motor battery to start my boat when I'm an idiot and don't start the big motor all day perch fishing but running electronics and livewell. It happens

filetandrelease

« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2020, 09:49 AM »
YES you can. Charge both before your trip, bring the right wrench and switch when one runs low.
I've pulled a trolling motor battery to start my boat when I'm an idiot and don't start the big motor all day perch fishing but running electronics and livewell. It happens
👍

Mac Attack

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2020, 11:47 AM »
Whoa, I didn't mean to cause a "discussion" on what site this is, unless I'm not picking up on some sarcasm here. But I do remember years ago when this site started as the softwater side of Iceshanty. Anyway, thanks Mac Attack for the info. I knew about running them in parallel or in series, but what I meant was could I run one battery first until it gets too low then unhook my motor and hook it on the second battery and run that one until the charge is low. The run time wouldn't have to be the same, but kinda close. I'm trying to split up the amount of weight I have to carry to the boat on each trip loading it.

sorry about the "sarcasm".

Yup, you can do this.
But why not wire them in parallel and avoid having to disconnect/reconnect.
But disconnect them to charge them unless you have a 2 bank charger.
Good luck.

filetandrelease

« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2020, 11:57 AM »
if he’s carrying them to the boat I assume he doesn’t have an onboard charger , he’s trying avoid carrying 2 batteries to and from his boat each time

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2020, 01:14 PM »
Sure it is. It even says so right at the top of every page: "MyFishFinder Forum*Softwater side of Iceshanty"

We'll have to excuse Mac. He hates ice fishing.  :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

filetandrelease

« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2020, 01:28 PM »
That’s  True 🌞😎

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2020, 03:45 AM »
He loves ice fishing.  He just wants to do it in Florida.......
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2020, 03:54 AM »
Yes,  you can but two batteries will not last quite as long as one big one.  There are some losses in the capacity doing it that way but it may be negligible depending on your use/run time.  Years ago I used to pull my truck battery to power my cartop jon boat and have enough juice to fire the old six banger when I got back.  Always made sure to park facing down hill in case I had to dump the clutch to get her going in a pinch.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2020, 09:55 AM »
Yes,  you can but two batteries will not last quite as long as one big one.  There are some losses in the capacity doing it that way but it may be negligible depending on your use/run time.  Years ago I used to pull my truck battery to power my cartop jon boat and have enough juice to fire the old six banger when I got back.  Always made sure to park facing down hill in case I had to dump the clutch to get her going in a pinch.

If the two batteries combined have more AH than the one large one then your statement would be incorrect. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.