FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lakemaster Plus  (Read 1479 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Lakemaster Plus
« on: Mar 30, 2020, 07:56 AM »
I have had a Navionics HotMaps Platinum since I got a GPS chartplotter years ago. Now I bought an Ulterra Trolling motor and a Helix 9 to link to it and use I-pilot link. I bought the Lakemaster chip because apparently my Navionics chip won't give all the functionality like follow the contour and stuff like that. Seems funny because now Humminbird owns Navionics? I think? Whatever.

There is no online map viewer for Lakemaster Plus. My question is for those that have it... will my Northeast chip give me coastal coverage at all or just inland lakes? Do I need another chip for bluewater? I'm not talking real offshore, just coastal coverage.

mcully

Re: Lakemaster Plus
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2020, 08:55 AM »
Did you get the Helix yet?
i just ordered one with Mega DI, GPS G3 and Nav plus as an option

Jethro

« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2020, 09:45 AM »
Did you get the Helix yet?
i just ordered one with Mega DI, GPS G3 and Nav plus as an option

Not yet, it's on order should be here by Friday.

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2020, 12:40 PM »
Geoff
I use the Navionics +
Seems to cover everything including Canada, which is rare.
My Lowrance units have the Lake Insight as standard but it doesn’t cover Canada

Jethro

« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2020, 01:48 PM »
Geoff
I use the Navionics +
Seems to cover everything including Canada, which is rare.
My Lowrance units have the Lake Insight as standard but it doesn’t cover Canada

Yeah my Hotmaps Platinum is pretty good, I've been real happy with it, that's why I was bummed out to find the i-pilot wasn't fully functional with it. The hotmaps has pretty good coastal coverage too, I'm just not sure if the Lakemaster Northeast does as well. Worst case I can have both chips in the Helix as there are two slots but I was hoping to use the other slot for storage of saved routes and autochart live. Absolute worst I'll just have to switch cards around when on in the salt.

Jethro

« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2020, 02:01 PM »
WOW, I got my Helix 9 in and have been playing in the house, learning it, the Lakemaster Plus Maps in my area SUCK!! They are horrible. Sunapee has no markings, no nav aids, nothing and terrible detail. It's a shame my Navionics Hot Maps isn't i-pilot compatible! But there are two card slots so I will have to use one for nav and one for i-pilot. I was hoping the Lakemaster would be both but the coverage and detail is junk. Pretty much a waste of 120 bucks. Buyer beware!

EDIT: OMFG THERE ARE LIKE 20 TOTAL LAKES IN MAINE for Lakemaster!! This chip is GARBAGE, Humminbird should be ashamed!!!! Thank god I have Navionics to use for Navigation. I won't be able to follow the contour on ANY OF THE LAKES I FISH, but whatever....

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2020, 03:36 PM »
And I have seen some "trimming" on what Navionics offers too Geoff.

However, the Navionics + comes with a 1 year subscription for updates.
People using the maps can and do update things driving around and then they upload it to Navionics.
With the subscription you can get these uploads, so you card progressively gets more accurate.

I still don't know how to do the uploading to them, but I don't think my 2 Gen2 HDS8 units have that function.

Check it out.

Jethro

« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2020, 08:56 PM »
Yeah the Helix has autochart which is good, I'll be using that on my favorite lakes for sure.

Mac Attack

« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2020, 09:14 PM »
Yeah the Helix has autochart which is good, I'll be using that on my favorite lakes for sure.

sweet.
I really don't need it on Lake Erie or Ontario.
But up in Canada, and when I move down to Florida in a couple years for retirement, that would be awesome.
I've been using Lowrance HDS units for a bunch of years, so they are very good for me.
Other units might be better but I would have to relearn everything.
Not what I really want to do.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2020, 06:10 AM »
I agree Mac. I believe all the units are "good" but I have been a H-Bird user for many years and feel I would have to start all over with something new. I have Navionics on my desk-top so I can look for new spots to fish. I like to find a couple before I hit the water and then go out and give them look. Times I find a new spot, sometimes not, but it is fun....h2l

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.