FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 512961 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #2130 on: May 23, 2018, 06:57 AM »
Well, I'm battling the slugs already. They ate up a couple of my cucumber sets. Good thing I have extras. Put down the slug/snail killer this morning. I had a couple dishes of beer out there, but no takers. Think I'm going to try to find some diatomaceous earth to put down as well.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

deerefishyfishy

« Reply #2131 on: May 23, 2018, 02:58 PM »
Well, the experiment is in process.

Grafted a Yellow Cherry Tomato scion to a Yukon Gold Potato root stem.
All set and taped up and ready to grow.

Made a shade cover for it with burlap and a tomato cage.

We shall see what happens. By all accounts, I should have  potatoes below and cherry tomatoes on top.

Rg
Can't wait to see if you can bring the monster to life Dr. Frankenstein!!
Do you think fish go home and lie about all the bait they stole?

Early to bed, early to rise
Fish all day and make up lies...

There's a reason they call it fishing, not catching.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2132 on: May 23, 2018, 06:24 PM »
Looks pretty wilted right now. I holding out hope.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #2133 on: May 23, 2018, 06:59 PM »
My garden.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2134 on: May 24, 2018, 03:07 AM »
Well...it's low maintenance anyway ;D

Rg

bluegoose

« Reply #2135 on: May 24, 2018, 04:58 AM »
Put some Atlantic giant pumpkins in the ground outside yesterday. Made impromptu cold frames to help with some early heat. Hoping for a few hundred pounds each. Been doing it for some years now, the best yet was 375#.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2136 on: May 24, 2018, 05:59 AM »
Yikes! What do you do with a 375# pumpkin? By the way, if I remember correctly, Scott has been known to grow giant pumpkins.

Anyway, day 3 of the Tomtato graft.

Yesterday I thought it was wilting.......but!
The little guy looks pretty darned good so far. If it makes it through the next few days I think it'll survive. Gonna wet down the burlap cover today for some radiational cooling.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #2137 on: May 24, 2018, 06:27 AM »
Well...it's low maintenance anyway ;D

Rg

Yup.
Donna is done with it.
So it stayed covered last year and this year.
I will tear it all up next year after I put in the new fence.
Long story, but I'll be using the dirt from the raised bed to level my ground up to the fence.
So the plastic keep it from getting overgrown with weeds.
Low maintenance like you said.

However, she does have 4 tomato plants in large patio pots out back and has some cilantro in another.

SALSA!!!!!!!!

:thumbup_smilie:

Roccus

« Reply #2138 on: May 24, 2018, 11:40 AM »
 Garden is in...three types of tomatoes ( most san monzano)... Red bell peppers..eggplant.. cucumbers...zucchini.. bush beans...peas and brussel sprouts..asparagus ( been picking for a few weeks)  and fall planted garlic look great... herb garden is strong .. ornamental pond is thriving...love this time of year..

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2139 on: May 24, 2018, 12:06 PM »
Garden is in...three types of tomatoes ( most san monzano)... Red bell peppers..eggplant.. cucumbers...zucchini.. bush beans...peas and brussel sprouts..asparagus ( been picking for a few weeks)  and fall planted garlic look great... herb garden is strong .. ornamental pond is thriving...love this time of year..

Awesome Roccus!

I am growing over 80 different things in my garden and this will be the first year my little guy will be able to enjoy the harvest as well. I told my self i would only do 8 tomato plants this year from the normal 20. Somehow i ended up with 18 plants in 9 varieties. Looks like my strawberry's will be ready to pick in a week or less.
Wicked Wec

Roccus

« Reply #2140 on: May 24, 2018, 01:51 PM »
Awesome Roccus!

I am growing over 80 different things in my garden and this will be the first year my little guy will be able to enjoy the harvest as well. I told my self i would only do 8 tomato plants this year from the normal 20. Somehow i ended up with 18 plants in 9 varieties. Looks like my strawberry's will be ready to pick in a week or less.
boss lady puts up about 5 gallons of sauce a year... she makes stewed tomatoes with zucchini that is to die for!...I have strawberries in the herb garden but beating the chipmunks to them is a herculean task... no matter how many walk the plank ;D

zwiggles

« Reply #2141 on: May 24, 2018, 02:05 PM »
boss lady puts up about 5 gallons of sauce a year... she makes stewed tomatoes with zucchini that is to die for!...I have strawberries in the herb garden but beating the chipmunks to them is a herculean task... no matter how many walk the plank ;D

The chipmunks are the worst. Always disappointing to pick the perfect strawberry only to find a quarter of it has been nawed on.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2142 on: May 24, 2018, 02:22 PM »
I do not have any chipmunks in my garden at all. My biggest issue is sparrows but a new trick I tried last season proved successful. I painted small round rocks red and placed them in my strawberry bed 3 weeks before they ripened. birds got sick of pecking rocks and just gave up all together once the berries were ready.

Unfortunately I am unable to eat any sort of red sauce due to the acidity levels. However, fresh tomatoes do not bother me. I also planted two low acid plants this year that are a yellowish orange fruit. we shall see. I do miss tossing in venison bones, bacon, and ham bones and simmering the sauce for 6 hours with garden herbs.
Wicked Wec

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2143 on: May 24, 2018, 06:48 PM »
I've been been pulling up sunflower seedlings all week, stupid chipmunks. On a good note, I've trapped and relocated 4 red squirrels in the past 3 days.

Rg

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #2144 on: May 25, 2018, 06:09 AM »
Finally was able to till the garden... put in my tomato plants too! Corn and pumpkin goes in this morning.
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.