FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Spring Striper migration  (Read 20483 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Spring Striper migration
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 03:15 PM »
.. Ha.. good luck Jon...you and every other jabroney looking to repeat last seasons carnage...last time I fished the canal was 1976.... I'll settle for less fish and peace of mind...

in '76 I followed the striper migration south.. starting at Popham beach in Maine and finished in Ocean city Maryland...broke ... tired and happy... my '67 VW bug have up the ghost on the way home on the N.J. turnpike... we traded our remaining gear for a ride to the Mass. boarder.. then hitch hiked the rest of the way home... if you tried that today you'd get arrested for vagrancy...

Thanks Joe.  You'd be surprised to learn its awefully quiet out there at night im the spring.  330am hits and thats usually when I am packing up and the pencil popper crew is headed in.  Last year my biggest bass that weekend was a notch under 40lbs!

I too have done popham to montauk.  I dont recall if you were up there that year Jim from 247 had his brother up.  I used to follow those bass north then south.  Then....I started to catch bass in the 45-50" range at the canal.  Deep at night with hardly anyone there.  Ive been doing that for years now.  I always skip the big daytime feeds, many times by default because I'm asleep from the night before.

lowaccord66

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 03:19 PM »
That sir is how you EARN RESPECT. That makes me even happier that I had an opportunity to fish with you.

I think for me the number of huge bass he's landed and that ive caught a few cows on his jointed eel earns him plenty of respect...

Knot there yet

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2018, 08:08 AM »
First fish with sea lice on it yesterday in the river.

lowaccord66

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2018, 10:43 AM »
Friend of a friend landed a 51.7 in CT. 

Knot there yet

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 07:24 AM »
Thought I saw birds working two nights in a row well make it three. Huge blitz of schoolies as far as eye could see a fish every cast. So happy. Feeding on silversides. (Juvenile herring) giant clouds of them.
 An amazing amount Bait all pushed in harbor now. Mackerels everywhere in Boston north channel.
 Time to tune up surf gear for keepers

Roccus

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2018, 07:58 AM »
plenty around if you know where to look.. hitting them both deep and shallow... upperman style jigs tipped with 4" sluggo for deep stuff... thin profile plugs and 9" sluggos for the shallow stuff..

Roccus

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2018, 07:59 AM »
I have pictures but they are not posting..

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2018, 08:08 AM »
I have pictures but they are not posting..

I had the same issue Joe. I am not even able to view pictures off my phone anymore but everything works off my PC.

Side note -  Caught a 32" bass this morning on a live pogey, full of sea lice.
Wicked Wec

Roccus

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2018, 08:24 AM »
I had the same issue Joe. I am not even able to view pictures off my phone anymore but everything works off my PC.

Nice...most of these fish were that size.. some I found latter were a tad bit larger.. 15lbs or so... as soon as the tide turned Monday night they stacked up behind a bridge abutment and whacked herring as they dropped back with the tide...they were mid water column in 20' of water..if you hit the cement and let the jig drop..most of the time it got  inhaled on the way down..latter they dropped back and were smacking  sand eels along the mud flats... chowing anything that moved..only problem this time of year is they are moving.. what works one tide may not work the next...every day if different..

lowaccord66

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2018, 10:02 AM »
Thats clean living Joe.  The canal is full of all sorts of life.  Ill be down there all weekend.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2018, 11:24 AM »

jesus how did it fit it in his mouth. how big was the pogy? was it a full adult one? suprised it could get it in his mouth.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2018, 01:42 PM »
jesus how did it fit it in his mouth. how big was the pogy? was it a full adult one? suprised it could get it in his mouth.

You would be surprised. Yes full size pogey. I have caught 26" bass on full size live pogey. I live in Pogey central and have them the entire "season" here for the pickings. Some days full live pogeys are the ticket, some days only chunks. Some days just the heads and some days a full dead Pogey or nothing but a lure. Usually if I cycle through my options I catch a few bass when they are around.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2018, 02:09 PM »
I too have managed to stuff a large bunker into a small bass.  They have killed themselves doing that before.  No ones seen a sufficated short?  Greed gets them all choked up!   :)

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2018, 10:03 PM »
pogies are starting to rebound in my neck of the woods around bourne. have seen a decent amount in the canal the last couple of years as well.

Knot there yet

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2018, 03:42 AM »
Tons of Bait brought tons of fish. Set the shallow water alarm off on FF. Clouds of fish lots of fun on fly rod. Got in before rain came. Great night of Fishing every cast for a while. They’re coming home

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.