FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 512980 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #60 on: Jun 05, 2015, 09:16 PM »
I wish I had a deer "problem".  ;D

No you don't..  One after noon you are watering and the next morning there are no flowers left on your squash, cucumbers, pumpkins and other plants... ;D ;D ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #61 on: Jun 06, 2015, 02:41 AM »
My neighbor planted her garden a couple weeks ago to find 1/3 of her crop eaten by the deer the next day. She hung bars of soap on the fence posts all around the plot and claims she's had no further problem.

There's one guy in the village who has a 10' high wire fence around his garden. Kinda has that prison camp look. When I expand I'll do a fence charger.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #62 on: Jun 06, 2015, 06:01 AM »
A friend of mine has an orchard and he says hanging dryer sheets on his trees work well to repell deer....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #63 on: Jun 06, 2015, 06:31 AM »
I put out a tray of seed for  the birds the other day. It was mopped clean by morning. I took most of my feeders down for the summer. You'd think they'd have enough to eat this time of year without raising my bird food.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

tomturkey

« Reply #64 on: Jun 06, 2015, 07:32 AM »
The fruit farmers use bounce dryer sheets or Irish spring mini soap bars to keep the deer away from young fruit trees. At one time they collected the hair from barber and beauty shops, put it in small bags and hung it on the trees.

There are more and more orchards being 10 foot fenced all the time. Some guy developed a driver that will drive sharpened wood posts in the ground that are long enough to hold the 10 foot fence plus what is in the ground. I am waiting for a few deer to jump into my friends orchard that has 5 foot fence to keep the snowmobiles out. I think his grandson will enjoy chasing them around with his quad until he can force them to jump back out.

There is a law in Michigan about how high of a fence you can put up with out getting a permit (farmers are exempt) . I think it is  like 52 inches. This is to keep people from having high fence deer enclosures.

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #65 on: Jun 06, 2015, 08:32 AM »
   No you don't..  One after noon you are watering and the next morning there are no flowers left on your squash, cucumbers, pumpkins and other plants... ;D ;D ;D
Perhaps if you didn't Drobs them :)

jperch

« Reply #66 on: Jun 06, 2015, 09:08 AM »
I went to school at PSU where they did a lot of research on deer.  One big project was to look at different systems to keep deer out of their ag fields.  They had high fences, horns attached to motion sensors, various repellants.  I spoke with some of the farmers where this research was going on.  They showed me where the deer had dug under the high fences.  The horns would only work for a while, then the deer would just ignore them.  Basically, they are very adaptable.  I guess that is why they have been such a successful animal.  A local orchard used trained dogs, malmutes I believe.  They had the radio collars on.  According to the farmer it was effective.  The orchard was on my jogging route and I would occasionally see a deer carcass.  I know he used to travel around and speak about his system.  I noticed recently that he no longer uses the dogs, perhaps it is too expensive.  jperch

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #67 on: Jun 06, 2015, 05:14 PM »
Bullets are probably cheaper. But, my neighbors would probably get testy if I touched off the 7mm-08 Encore at 4am.  :-\  These village folk have no sense of humor whatsoever.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #68 on: Jun 06, 2015, 05:34 PM »
Perhaps if you didn't Drobs them :)

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

jperch

« Reply #69 on: Jun 06, 2015, 05:59 PM »
Yes, bullets are cheaper.  On the other hand there are times when deer and gardens interact well together.  Venison stew for example, which is tonight's dinner!  jperch

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #70 on: Jun 06, 2015, 09:12 PM »

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #71 on: Jun 07, 2015, 09:01 AM »
Deer can be a problem but I can't stand crows! They can strip  a row of young plants coming through the ground before you're even out of bed in the morning. Pull up the sprout to eat just the seed! They are my nemesis. My motto is DEAD CROWS DON'T EAT CORN!  >:(
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Mac Attack

« Reply #72 on: Jun 08, 2015, 06:55 PM »
Donna's garden sprouted very nicely over this past weekend.
Shooting a bit of Rapid Grow in there did the trick.
I'll give them another shot Thursday night before we head out to the lake.

OK Bob - you're off the hook.
Donna helped me plant those 225 daylillies on that d a m n hill tonight.
Rewarded her with a green olive and onion pizza.
That's her 2nd favorite pie.

But thanks for offering to help anyway Bob.
 ;)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #73 on: Jun 09, 2015, 05:18 PM »
You didn't say you'd feed me. Green olive and onion..........I'm in for that.

What's her favorite pie?

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #74 on: Jun 09, 2015, 07:01 PM »
You didn't say you'd feed me. Green olive and onion..........I'm in for that.

What's her favorite pie?

Rg

ME!

(honeypie)

;D

Not!

She like white pizzas.
The Greek Chicken she really likes.
She's a wappaho.

;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor