FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513175 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #225 on: Aug 23, 2015, 11:25 AM »
Did some more salsa and some peach jam this morning.

Next is gonna be garden style marinara sauce.

Mmmmmmmm!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #226 on: Aug 23, 2015, 12:01 PM »
Salsa yesterday. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Gonna do another batch Thursday. This time I'm gonna mix in some green tomatoes :w00t: got some jalapeños from the farm market  this afternoon. Did this batch with Hungarian Hot Peppers. Nice heat, not overwhelming.
 My Bride approved.....she's a tough audience.
Rg

Donna and I made 5 quarts and canned them Friday
Ours is not as red
More peppers and red onions were used
It's spicy but not too bad

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #227 on: Aug 26, 2015, 05:58 AM »
Looks real good Bob..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #228 on: Aug 26, 2015, 05:34 PM »
Did some cooking sauce today. I make this as a base sauce and add to it as I cook. You can add meat, fish, sausage etc or just reduce it a bit and use it as is with cheese.

I used about 12 cups of chopped ripe tomatoes and added
2 c. Green peppers
2 c. Onion
1 1/2 c.(chopped) Mixed Thai basil, Greek oregano and curly leaf parsley ( fresh from my herb patch)
Tbsp crushed red pepper
Tbsp black pepper
Tbsp kosher salt
1/4 c sugar
1 head garlic minced

Add 1/4c. Olive oil to a big pot and sauté the onion and peppers till translucent.
Add the garlic, herbs and seasonings and cook a couple minutes more
Add the tomatoes and bring to a good boil
Reduce heat and simmer as long as you can stand it. This batch went about 3 hours.

Can it or freeze it. I canned mine.

Make sure you add a teaspoon of lemon juice to each pint if your going to can it using a hot water bath. Processing is 40 minutes for hot water bath.  It's probably got enough acid to make the ph, but why take a chance.

Did  batch the other day and added quite a bit more crushed red pepper, a 12 oz can of tomato paste and a 15 oz can of tomatoe sauce. Came out great as pasta sauce. Pretty spicy.....we like spicy ;D

Pickled green tomatoes next :w00t:
Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #229 on: Aug 28, 2015, 09:07 AM »
Pickled green tomatoes.

3-4 lbs green tomatoes. They need to be really green.....no red inside.
Sliced white onion
1 or 2 cloves garlic per jar
Black pepper corns
Yellow mustard seed
Dill seed
Fresh dill
Crushed red pepper
2 c. Water
4 c. White vinegar 5% acidity
Sugar if you want sweet dill
1/4 c. Canning salt
3-4 bay leaves

Bring water and vinegar to a boil in a non reactive pot
Add dill seed, peppercorns, mustard seed, bay leaves, salt and sugar if you like it and simmer 20 minutes to infuse the brine
Prepare sterilized jars, lids and rings in boiling water
Pack jars with a few onion slices, pepper corns, red pepper, garlic clove, a sprig of fresh dill and fill with tomatoes leaving 1\2" head space. Pack them in there ;D
Fill hot jars with hot brine. ( I strain my brine as I fill my jars.) use a chopstick to help remove any trapped air. You can also tap the bottom on the counter top. Cover and finger tighten the ring.
Though it's not really necessary, I process mine in a hot water bath for 5 minutes to insure a seal. No longer though, they'll get mushy.

I always do pints. They're easier to handle and it's just my Bride and myself.

Enjoy!
Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #230 on: Aug 28, 2015, 10:19 AM »
Just about everything except the tomatoes and brussel sprouts are done.
The garden didn't produce as well this year as past years.
Donna and I feel we planted too early and it took a beating from the cold and frost even though we covered the plants.
We also feel we need to add some fertilizer both during the Fall tilling when we put it up for the winter and again in the Spring when we start planting.
I typically add manure but this past spring we simply didn't.
Strange year.

I'm gonna keep making salsa with the tomatoes we continue to get.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #231 on: Aug 29, 2015, 01:43 AM »
I've got a few tomatoes on two plants. Im pulling the others out today out today. I've been looking at recipes for green tomato jam I might try. Maybe toss in some sweet peppers and a jalapeño or three :w00t:

Nothing like good pepper jam on a toasted bagel with cream cheese. Mmmmmmm!

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #232 on: Aug 29, 2015, 01:46 AM »
I'm going to try the Pickled green tomatoes. Tomorrow..  I still have hundreds of them....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #233 on: Aug 29, 2015, 07:31 AM »
I forgot to,say that after straining the brine to fill the jars, I add some peppercorns, red pepper and mustard seed to each jar before filling.

Have fun Dom!
Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #234 on: Aug 30, 2015, 11:49 AM »
Boy the house smells great... 
Me and my bride took the day just to can...   ;D
Got chilie sauce going now on the stove and starting some dill pickles to get rid of some of these cucumbers. I have a lot of peppers going strong, broccoli, cauliflower, and 2nd planting of beans are good so maybe a garden mix...   Was also thinking about pickled cherry tomatos...  ;D

tomturkey

« Reply #235 on: Aug 30, 2015, 02:39 PM »
Just finished blanching 4 dozen ears of corn, off the cob and ready to bag for the freezer. It does not take long when I use my turkey fryer to blanch it. Hardly looses the rolling boil when I drop in another bunch of ear. It is a problem catching the ears with tongs when it is rolling that hard.

Still need to do at least another batch that big for the kids. Only paid $12.00 for a bushel which is 5 dozen ears. He only gets $3.60 a dozen on his stand.

I need to get some of their over size pickles to make sweet relish out of before the pickles are gone. Plus a bushel of tomatoes for the woman to teach her grand daughter to make salsa.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #236 on: Aug 30, 2015, 05:29 PM »
Well this is what we did today...
14 pints of chilie sauce.
6  quarts of dill spears..
3 quarts of pickled sun sugar cherry tomatos..
5 quarts of garden mix....

;D ;D ;D

BLACK ICE

« Reply #237 on: Aug 31, 2015, 07:05 AM »

Looks real good, Dom!  :thumbup_smilie:

Mac Attack

« Reply #238 on: Aug 31, 2015, 09:41 AM »

I'm gonna keep making salsa with the tomatoes we continue to get.

Got 4 more qts made Saturday night.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #239 on: Aug 31, 2015, 03:34 PM »
Good looking larder there Dom!

I did another 10 pints  of spaghetti sauce. Tomatoes are just about done. Few left ripening on the plants for salads and stuff. Good thing, I'm about tomatoed out . I'm gonna do another batch or two of pickles. The first one really came out great. May do some more pickled green tomatoes too just to use up anything that doesn't ripen in the next few days.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.