FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 512904 times)

filetandrelease

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #750 on: Sep 26, 2016, 06:07 AM »

Yesterday the wife and I vac packed up some green and yellow beans , plus canned up some 3 bean salad ,

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #751 on: Sep 27, 2016, 05:04 PM »
So....the garden is doing ok....I think.

Beans are coming along.

Snow peas are coming along slowly

The asparagus patch is crazy healthy.

Peppers are very happy

There's a burrowing critter who's about to meet his maker.

I think I have nearly enough parsley for the winter. Curley and flat leaf.

Very marginal growth on the chard, but the radishes I planted a couple days ago are already coming up.

Hopefully I'll get some results before ma nature closes the door for the season.

I'm building the garlic bed this weekend and weather permitting, I'll get some in the ground.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #752 on: Sep 27, 2016, 06:38 PM »
Crap!!
I wanted to show Donna your gardens.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #753 on: Sep 27, 2016, 06:47 PM »
Looks good, Bob.  You never know.  The late garden is always a gamble, but I think you'll be okay.   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #754 on: Sep 27, 2016, 06:55 PM »
Crap!!
I wanted to show Donna your gardens.
There was time...you were in a hurry. Old bull eh?

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #755 on: Sep 27, 2016, 07:00 PM »
Looks good, Bob.  You never know.  The late garden is always a gamble, but I think you'll be okay.   ;D

I'll  go with the flow. I think it's up to nature at this point, although I'd like to see some results,I'll live with the consequences.

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #756 on: Sep 27, 2016, 07:07 PM »
That's all you can do.   ;D
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

BLACK ICE

« Reply #757 on: Sep 28, 2016, 01:15 PM »

Remember a while back I posted that I had Zucchinis about 3" long and was that way for a couple of weeks, well they
             took off and my wife put up 15 quarts of relish and 10 quarts of salsa, they rest of my garden did great. Last year she
             had plenty of Tomato's but would not ripen, this year they did and she put up lots them for sauce and we ate a lot in
             salads. Her cucumbers also did well, she put up lot's of different pickles. and a lot of Dilly Bean! 

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #758 on: Sep 28, 2016, 02:26 PM »
I love Dilly Beans! Yum!!  ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #759 on: Sep 29, 2016, 04:11 AM »
This weekend my son and I are canning up some pickled onions and a batch of pickled hot peppers. I have a pretty fair crop of cowhorn and jalapeņo and Serrano  peppers left. We like them pickled on sandwiches, pizza, subs , salads and such. I'll pick up osme yellow banana peppers and maybe a basket of cherry peppers at the market on Saturday.

Any of you dry hot peppers? I've never tried it, but I'd like to.

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #760 on: Sep 29, 2016, 07:24 AM »
A couple of years ago I had a bumper crop of red chilies.  They dried and keep very well. I've also dried hot cherries, jalapenos, and habaneros in the past. They're great to throw one or two into a pot of chili, a jar of pickled eggs, or whatever else you'd like to kick up a notch.  :o

The trick to drying peppers is to make sure to cut a slit in the pepper before drying. Pepper skin naturally holds moisture inside, so unless you open them up the water can't get out, which takes longer to dry and yields less than satisfactory results. I wear gloves and using an exacto knife, open them up just like gutting a fish . I even slit them if I want to air/ sun dry them on the plant hanging by the roots.  

Dry some. You'll be glad you did.  ;D

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #761 on: Sep 29, 2016, 12:30 PM »
I have dried a lot just by pulling the whole plant, cutting off all the leaves, leave peppers on stalks, little slit in each pepper and hanging them above my dehumidifier in the basement....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #762 on: Sep 29, 2016, 12:33 PM »
  Well this salad came from the garden, the rest is one of my favorite meals, Lasagna cup cakes... Hold the frosting.....  ;D

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Mac Attack

« Reply #763 on: Sep 29, 2016, 12:38 PM »
BOOM!

boondox

« Reply #764 on: Sep 29, 2016, 02:16 PM »
  Well this salad came from the garden, the rest is one of my favorite meals, Lasagna cup cakes... Hold the frosting.....  ;D

the cup cakes look great any special recipe??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.