FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: SALMON RIVER , SALMON AND STEELHEAD THREAD...  (Read 339718 times)

kc

Re: SALMON RIVER 2015 SALMON AND STEELHEAD THREAD
« Reply #15 on: Mar 31, 2015, 05:28 PM »
nice to see the thread back up Shane. Thanks

hunters08

« Reply #16 on: Mar 31, 2015, 05:31 PM »
My 2 cents is that guys snag a fish,play it out til it's half dead then throw it on the rocks and beat the hell out of fish some more,and finally giving the fish a swift kick back in the river sometimes after taking a half a dozen pics.The regs. on C&R need to be tightened up and enforced severely!I firmly believe that 50% of dieoff is contributed to mishandling fish,I see it time after time on the Erie creeks.I always make mention when I see this that these fish deserve way more respect than they received,but it always falls on deaf ears,mostly in a reply of "the fish will be fine it swam away"!Yes the fish swam away but is so exhausted that it can't hold itself in decent current to feed and litteraly is carried by the current til it drowns from exhaustion!I think you should have to take a course on C & R and have a certificate  that verifies you took the course and should know how to properly release fish,and it should be strictly enforced by the law in C&R areas! :police: :police: :police:!I can't even fish near people because of this disrespect tward these beautiful gems,I also believe that a law should be enforced that if you have your limit on a stringer your done for the day.I know it would be a bit unfair for Lake O tribs seeing that I think the limit is still 1 but will cut down on abuse of fish IMO.We pay for these fish and should be outraged when we see these gems abused so don't be afraid to say something if you see abuse of our fish!I think if I use a little more tact,but you can't get through to these ignorant jack###es so I can just speak my peace and move on, or get into a confrontation which has happened more than once,not my kind of fishing.I have been downstream many times and seen fish floating in the current,when I do I'll try to net the fish and try to revive it in calm water and hopefully it survives.ENOUGH SAID!!
I think a catch and release class or video would be a good idea.
If i'm not fishing than i hope i'm turkey hunting!!!

kowboy

« Reply #17 on: Mar 31, 2015, 07:28 PM »
So glad this thread is back, good fishing with you today KC. Heres a question I asked KC today, 2 guys fishing the same seam,  same say bead, and one guy seems to get almost all the strikes, why? What do you think

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 31, 2015, 07:29 PM »
I  think it's a  stocked  fish in a put and  take   fishery not a 4 year old  kid .....I really  don't loose much sleep over it .... I  think most steelhead  fisherman attempt to  do the  best they can I have never seen a fisherman toss a  fish on the  rocks  then release  it  that's   just  foolish talk .... and I don't think we need a course on how to toss a  fish back

snagger  glad  the thread is  back and good to see you as well
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

trapper2000

« Reply #19 on: Mar 31, 2015, 07:31 PM »
So glad this thread is back, good fishing with you today KC. Heres a question I asked KC today, 2 guys fishing the same seam,  same say bead, and one guy seems to get almost all the strikes, why? What do you think

I'm not  big on beads  but fly fishing .... I think  it's  the drift one guy is in the  zone  perfect the other thinks he is but something justisn't right

kowboy

« Reply #20 on: Mar 31, 2015, 08:17 PM »
 yea trapper im just saying beads but it could be anything sacks flies pw whatever. I think a lot has to do with the way you place your shot pattern, not an expert, that's why I put the question out there to see some that have a lot more experience then me chime in on it

davejohnson2

« Reply #21 on: Mar 31, 2015, 08:37 PM »

trick question one guy is using a pin lol  ;D

trapper2000

« Reply #22 on: Mar 31, 2015, 08:50 PM »
yea trapper im just saying beads but it could be anything sacks flies pw whatever. I think a lot has to do with the way you place your shot pattern, not an expert, that's why I put the question out there to see some that have a lot more experience then me chime in on it

it's happened with me and  friends  fly fishing many times ....one offering is  just more appealing to the fish ...I think it'ssomething to do with the  drift

dimebrite

« Reply #23 on: Apr 01, 2015, 08:38 AM »
Since I can remember a step or two up or downstream can make a world of difference.  Many factors...difference in presentation and difference in depth placement along with proximity of the fish's feeding/strike zone are key factors. Lining is also a big role player in it as well.  Lining fish is inevitable when steelhead fishing, but it all comes down to intent. We switched over to running lines on fly rods years ago in the middle 90's to target lothargic winter steelhead more easily. It was a great proven method. Of course fish would naturally get lined here and their but it was not the intent we had. Slowly but surely the method got used and abused like every other and is now looked down upon. Even with the switch over to floating lines and switch lines for targeting steelhead I see just as much if not even more bad intent. The fly zone is ridiculous to watch at times. This past weekend was the worst I've ever seen for steelhead fishing pressure in Altmar. 

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #24 on: Apr 01, 2015, 08:47 AM »
WASSSSSUP!  :afro: :afro: :afro: Great to see the thread back!! BINGO
Nice job findin em

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #25 on: Apr 01, 2015, 10:54 AM »

his shot pattern is better than the guy getting outfished, waters cold, got too have bead down in front of him, they aint rising for nothing yet.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

FISHNIK

« Reply #26 on: Apr 01, 2015, 10:50 PM »
Trapper,
         Check out some of the Erie streams sometime and youllbe apalled,Im kind of shocked by your attitude.These fish are precious and quite a few are wild so don't fool yourself,most guys would give anything to have this tremendous fishery in their back yard,it's special and we need to treat it that way.Hunters08 you have a good idea there.

dimebrite

« Reply #27 on: Apr 02, 2015, 10:45 AM »
Is anyone familiar with Horton creek/beaverkill in Delaware county?  In summer months  large browns and rainbows from the Delaware system make their way over to the Horton creek inlet on the beaverkill. It used to be a normal public access area. It is now considered a special area in which its closed to protect the fish when they are seeking refuge there in the summer months. "If".. I mean "if" studies come back justifying a large wild steelhead population in the SR, and "if"  this thiamine deficiency worsens, I wouldn't mind seeing special regulations from Ellis cove and up during refuge months... I'm not suggesting total closure, but special regulations could help. Let's face the facts, as Shane put it, how many times can these fish get hooked and battled??? And we all know that Ellis and up is refuge grounds for them. Downtown Pulaski gets pretty brutal too in October these days. Guys lining and foul hooking the crap out of steelhead with salmon gear... Its definitely an issue IMHO... Especially if this thiamine deficiency prevails

gyfs

« Reply #28 on: Apr 02, 2015, 04:28 PM »
Seems like people have a lot of great ideas here but nobody important is hearing them. Are there any fish biologists on this website or are we all just self-taught PhD's in everything here?

trapper2000

« Reply #29 on: Apr 02, 2015, 07:44 PM »
Is anyone familiar with Horton creek/beaverkill in Delaware county?  In summer months  large browns and rainbows from the Delaware system make their way over to the Horton creek inlet on the beaverkill. It used to be a normal public access area. It is now considered a special area in which its closed to protect the fish when they are seeking refuge there in the summer months. "If".. I mean "if" studies come back justifying a large wild steelhead population in the SR, and "if"  this thiamine deficiency worsens, I wouldn't mind seeing special regulations from Ellis cove and up during refuge months... I'm not suggesting total closure, but special regulations could help. Let's face the facts, as Shane put it, how many times can these fish get hooked and battled??? And we all know that Ellis and up is refuge grounds for them. Downtown Pulaski gets pretty brutal too in October these days. Guys lining and foul hooking the crap out of steelhead with salmon gear... Its definitely an issue IMHO... Especially if this thiamine deficiency prevails

your problem is most steelheads  killed are taken in the lake  not the river

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.