FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Let's see those fish  (Read 163791 times)

mcully

Re: Let's see those fish
« Reply #1875 on: Oct 30, 2023, 08:43 AM »
Was using high low rig with cut up pinfish, whiting or bluefish in the surf. I usually run one lighter rig to catch anything that will bite and then cut up whatever I catch to put on the heavier rig. I like circles on the heavy just because most of what I catch gets let go due to size limits. If I am getting a bunch of whiting or spots I'll drop down and catch those and eat them. Must have watched 15-20 sharks this week in the surf cruising in 3 or less feet of water and did fight one for about 2 minutes on the little rig with small perch hook. He turned to the open sea and straightened the hook but did get a good jump so prob a spinner or blacktip. So many baitfish that it makes sense they were in tight just hoped some reds would be with them too. Had a crowd of 50 following me down the beach and pretty funny hearing people in disbelief sharks are that close to shore. Always fun hanging at the beach with rods out not knowing what will hit next.

mcully

« Reply #1876 on: Oct 30, 2023, 08:50 AM »

Went full on Duck Dynasty with some family in Conroy SC too earlier in the week. Went to fish camp, hung some brush lines for mud fish and cats then burned steaks while waiting. They pulled in several cats up to five six pounds and lost one in the teens. It’s a different life for sure and glad they shared it with us. That’s my son at a spot they’ve obviously used a few times.
Can you put video on here? The river run in the dark is crazy. 40mph dodging sand bars and logs sticking out from shore.

Mac Attack

« Reply #1877 on: Oct 30, 2023, 09:28 AM »
Was using high low rig with cut up pinfish, whiting or bluefish in the surf. I usually run one lighter rig to catch anything that will bite and then cut up whatever I catch to put on the heavier rig. I like circles on the heavy just because most of what I catch gets let go due to size limits. If I am getting a bunch of whiting or spots I'll drop down and catch those and eat them. Must have watched 15-20 sharks this week in the surf cruising in 3 or less feet of water and did fight one for about 2 minutes on the little rig with small perch hook. He turned to the open sea and straightened the hook but did get a good jump so prob a spinner or blacktip. So many baitfish that it makes sense they were in tight just hoped some reds would be with them too. Had a crowd of 50 following me down the beach and pretty funny hearing people in disbelief sharks are that close to shore. Always fun hanging at the beach with rods out not knowing what will hit next.

I use circles too.
But because I’m old and slow.  lol
By the time I get up from my chair, get to the rod, get it out of my rod holder, the fish has died of old age.  The circle hooks tend to allow for more hook sets from the fish.

mcully

« Reply #1878 on: Oct 30, 2023, 09:42 AM »
The hits are usually pretty violent in the surf too. People ask how I know a wave from a bite and when they see a bite it makes sense to them. Want to get to FLA for pompano someday again, good fight and to eat.

Mac Attack

« Reply #1879 on: Oct 30, 2023, 10:05 AM »
The hits are usually pretty violent in the surf too. People ask how I know a wave from a bite and when they see a bite it makes sense to them. Want to get to FLA for pompano someday again, good fight and to eat.

Where I have been fishing there are more baitfish vs larger.
So there’s tons of smaller nibbles going on all the time.  But you’re right, when a good fish takes it, you know.

62 & Done

« Reply #1880 on: Oct 30, 2023, 12:16 PM »
Great report Mcully sounds like a blast. That fish camp is something I would enjoy enjoy for sure.

Flukeman

« Reply #1881 on: Oct 30, 2023, 01:45 PM »
That shack looks like great fun!

Bartman44

« Reply #1882 on: Oct 30, 2023, 02:21 PM »
It sure does, now I feel like Cajun Catfish for dinner. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Pequod1

« Reply #1883 on: Oct 30, 2023, 03:29 PM »
Looks more like out of the old movie deliverance. Hope you didn’t bring a banjo  ;D

Pequod1

« Reply #1884 on: Nov 01, 2023, 05:40 AM »
What a trip!  Fingerlakes special.

gotagetm

« Reply #1885 on: Nov 01, 2023, 05:49 AM »

I brought home 49 beauties from fishing with Jim...funny thing is he just scooped out if his livewell and dumped in my cooler and said I should have around 50
..pretty darn good guess seeing how it was 49 ....what a day getting doubles sometimes but pretty much non stop once Jim located the spot ! Great day out with Jim and joe
Ben

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1886 on: Nov 01, 2023, 06:02 AM »
Nice job guys..👍👍✌️✌️
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

filetandrelease

« Reply #1887 on: Nov 01, 2023, 06:05 AM »

Good haul guys

KingPerch

« Reply #1888 on: Nov 01, 2023, 06:14 AM »
Good work guys… those perch still eating the plastic crawfish?
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

gotagetm

« Reply #1889 on: Nov 01, 2023, 06:32 AM »
Yes sir. .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.