FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: October.......Have To Love Fall  (Read 1758 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
October.......Have To Love Fall
« on: Oct 29, 2021, 10:37 AM »
Even though the weather has been warmer than average, it has still cooled enough for good action to kick in 8)

I started the month by threading the legal needle at the Maine/NH border for wild rainbows.  I was careful not to stray into waters that had closed after 9/30.  At least I didn't end up receiving any adverse comments or paperwork. :laugh:  Water temps had already dropped into the 50* range and fish were concentrated in the deeper holes.  They were colored up and ready to play with bottom-oriented presentations.

In recent months, I have traveled a fair amount  to NY to help with not pleasant family issues.  I have been able to make lemonade out of a lemon by fitting in some decent fishing time. There has been little control over the timing and even less over the weather, with high winds, lake effect downpours, and a little snow and sleet in the mix for the last trip.  I focused on wild browns, going with smaller and smaller waters as flows bumped up big time.  I was fortunate to hit some very nice pools, that often had an interesting hierarchy.  The godfather wild browns might give you a brief look at best. Their lieutenants would take a shot at a decent drift.  The lesser soldiers were reckless and abundant.  Size and deteriorating water conditions aside, it was something of a holy grail for small stream wild browns.  There was large batch of floating apples in spots.....maybe matching this hatch would have lured the pool boss :)

With the flowing water quite lackluster in Maine, I turned to ponds for some decent action to close out the month.  My first stocked fish of the month.  The action varied from non-stop to non-start.  I can blame a frontal passage on one outing, but otherwise I have no explanations.  15 fish in an hour was followed by 4 hours with only a bump or 2, or vice versa.  Personally, I'll take a good bite to end a day rather than a fast start.  Regardless of how the hits came, I was able to kick off the Fall splakin' and throw in a few OK browns.  The typical pattern was a good bite on spoons or spinners to start, then the need to get subtle with a jig suspended under a bobber to keep the action going.

November can be our best month.  With an uptick in rain, lack run monsters may join the fray!

fishinjohn

Re: October.......Have To Love Fall
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2021, 02:18 PM »
Jim I think this is the first post I've read of yours and I've gotta say.... VERY WELL DONE MY FRIEND!!!!!!!!!
Absolutely beautiful brookies !!! Actually ALL the colors on those fish are stunning
Brookies browns and bows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim C.

« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2021, 02:58 PM »
Thank you.  Their colors are great in the Fall.  It was the best month of fishing I've had in 2021 so far. 

Jim I think this is the first post I've read of yours and I've gotta say.... VERY WELL DONE MY FRIEND!!!!!!!!!
Absolutely beautiful brookies !!! Actually ALL the colors on those fish are stunning
Brookies browns and bows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2021, 10:00 AM »
Great report Jim, excellent fish and camerawork.  Love the wild 'bows, but man seeing those wild browns brings back memories, a few of them look literally exactly like the ones I used to catch... miss those fish, think they're almost extinct in the brook I used to hammer them in.  Really sad.

Steve H.

« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2021, 10:25 AM »
Awesome, Jim, as always.  Great pics and report. 
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Jim C.

« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2021, 07:20 PM »
It is depressing when a fishery blinks out like those brown trout in your area  :'(  I see it going on in a number of spots.

Great report Jim, excellent fish and camerawork.  Love the wild 'bows, but man seeing those wild browns brings back memories, a few of them look literally exactly like the ones I used to catch... miss those fish, think they're almost extinct in the brook I used to hammer them in.  Really sad.

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2021, 05:37 PM »
Good report Jim. The lack of browns the last few years is disappointing. They are mostly just a by catch for me at this point. I see splake going the same route…November is probably my fav month.

Jim C.

« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2021, 05:54 PM »
Thanks, Nick.  A "By Catch" on the browns is spot on.  Big change from 5-10 years ago.

Good report Jim. The lack of browns the last few years is disappointing. They are mostly just a by catch for me at this point. I see splake going the same route…November is probably my fav month.

JDK

« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2021, 03:21 PM »
Another great month and report.  Impressive as always.

# SAND

CF

« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2021, 06:09 AM »
Thanks, Nick.  A "By Catch" on the browns is spot on.  Big change from 5-10 years ago.

Great Trout Rainbow, Jim!!!

It is unfortunate to see warming waters and declines of salmonids, including whitefish. Likely to see more of it, and spreading. More warm water fisheries look to be in our future....  :unsure: >:(  :o  Not shocked anymore....
Formerly CLAMFARMER

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2021, 04:30 PM »
Thanks for sharing Jim.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.