FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bow mount trolling motor  (Read 6646 times)

sisabdulax

Bow mount trolling motor
« on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:59 AM »
Hey all,

Found my way over from the Shanty...finally. I am just trying to get some opinions on a Bow mount Trolling motor with foot control. Seems as this old school option gets left behind the newer ones don't have great reviews. So I figure i would ask here. I am new to boating so to speak and converting my fish-n-ski to mainly FISH!! I am looking at 55lb thrust. I know the big boys Minn Kota and Motor Guide, anyone else worth looking at? What say Ya'all?   Thanks ahead of time!

Mike

Mac Attack

Re: Bow mount trolling motor
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2018, 10:11 AM »
I have a 80# Minn Kota Terova with 60” shaft and ipilot on my 16’ Lund Rebel XL.
I feed it with 4 deep cycle batteries wired in series parallel
Use it to troll for walleye on Lake Erie along with my Honda kicker.
The terova handles the steering with the ipilot
And the spotlock feature is awesome when anchoring for perch.  No hauling in an anchor every time you want to move spots.
Not a cheap setup, but worth every penny.

sisabdulax

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2018, 10:36 AM »
Thank you! I have seen those and they look sweet, but outta my current budget. I am only running a 12v system on a 15' boat. Kinda new to the boat thing so want to keep it simple right now. But  once I cant form some opinions on my own I am sure I will get there. ;D

filetandrelease

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2018, 05:48 AM »
my previous boat 16’ I had a transom Mount minn 55#, when I sold the outfit it was 7 years old and still was running perfectly , had a bow mount , I used it for jigging
 The  terova is great but not within everyone’s Budget JM .02

sisabdulax

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2018, 09:43 AM »
My biggest concern is some of the reviews on the cable drive old school bow mounts are less than desirable. I would love one of the newer ones but it costs more than my boat! lol. And brand wise its like the Ford Chevy debate. Just kinda looking for some input on a quality product. When your looking to dump 500 on a motor Id like to get something decent.

sisabdulax

« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 2018, 01:08 PM »
So been still looking for a bow mount, I believe the Power Drive best fits my current budget. Now I have a new question! I am looking at the base model with a foot pedal. My question arose with the bluetooth option. Why would or wouldn't I need it? I am looking at the possible option down the road of upgrading to the Ipilot(via buying the upgrade parts). So is this where I need it or will the upgrade come with it?  Thanks in advance.

Mike

SLAYERFISH

« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2018, 09:22 AM »
Get the I-pilot. The remote with spot-lock is something you cannot live without.

sisabdulax

« Reply #7 on: Apr 24, 2018, 10:23 AM »
Slayer,

The couple times I have been out I am really starting to agree with you. I really see alot of advantages.

Thanks,
Mike

reelrusty

« Reply #8 on: Apr 24, 2018, 10:52 AM »
 ;D Hey sisabdulax. A few years ago (well, maybe more than just a few) I was right where you are at. 16 ft  25 hp tiller steer with a Powerdrive 55 on the front. Thought I was crappin in tall cotton! Man, lemme tell ya! When I finally up-graded the Powerdrive with the I-pilot kit I realized how much fishin I had been missing out on! Finally I could re-rig a pole without looking up 3 or 4 times. I could reel in a fish and STILL be at the same contour line I was before. So, bottom line. Go with the Powerdrive foot control if that is the budget you find yourself in but start stashing some money away in the sock drawer for the I-pilot up-grade. Only downside to the I-pilot I've had is when you get hung up and are trying to maneuver to get your lure back it is much easier with the foot pedal. Good luck!

sisabdulax

« Reply #9 on: Apr 24, 2018, 01:15 PM »
ReelRusty,

Did you need the bluetooth prior to your upgrade? Or is that part of the upgrade to Ipilot? That will probably be the route Ill be taking. Wish i had the extra to just do it all at once.

Mike

;D Hey sisabdulax. A few years ago (well, maybe more than just a few) I was right where you are at. 16 ft  25 hp tiller steer with a Powerdrive 55 on the front. Thought I was crappin in tall cotton! Man, lemme tell ya! When I finally up-graded the Powerdrive with the I-pilot kit I realized how much fishin I had been missing out on! Finally I could re-rig a pole without looking up 3 or 4 times. I could reel in a fish and STILL be at the same contour line I was before. So, bottom line. Go with the Powerdrive foot control if that is the budget you find yourself in but start stashing some money away in the sock drawer for the I-pilot up-grade. Only downside to the I-pilot I've had is when you get hung up and are trying to maneuver to get your lure back it is much easier with the foot pedal. Good luck!

Mac Attack

« Reply #10 on: Apr 24, 2018, 02:34 PM »
Get the I-pilot. The remote with spot-lock is something you cannot live without.

X1000

Minn Kota iPilot doesn't use Bluetooth.

The motor head has receptor for communication with the remote.
Like your tv remote.
Also, the head has a GPS in it for the auto pilot functions.

NOBODY buys an ipilot and wishes they hadn't!!!
But they do kick themselves for not doing it sooner.

Go to the Minn Kota website and do a little research on it.
Then go over to youtube and do a search on it and watch a few videos.

Good luck.

reelrusty

« Reply #11 on: Apr 24, 2018, 05:01 PM »
 :D Like Mac Attack said. :thumbup_smilie: Thinking about my post after I hit post. I forgot I started with a Motor Guide "Auto Guide" bow mount. Lasted a couple of years then wouldn't respond to commands from the foot pedal. Went back to Cabelas and found the unit was out of production and went with the Powerdrive "AutoPilot." Still foot pedal control. Upgraded with the I-Pilot kit a couple seasons later and have not looked back. Easy conversion. Still have the same unit on a 1448 Jon now and a 24v Powerdrive I-Pilot on my Tracker 175. As Mac said they are a remote not Bluetooth so no cellphone pairing etc. The newer units have expanded features as in more spot-lock and route memory. Can't imagine fishing without it! If you haven't had a bow mount before you will be amazed at how just that improvement will affect your fishing. I don't know what you're mounting it on but be sure to get a long enough shaft to compensate for bow lift in waves and certainly get more ft/lbs of thrust than you think you will ever need. You'll need it. Have a great season and TAKE A KID FISHIN! Let us know how this works out for ya!

sisabdulax

« Reply #12 on: Apr 25, 2018, 08:52 AM »
Thanks all!

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Apr 25, 2018, 09:15 AM »
So what price range are we talking for the ipilot?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #14 on: Apr 25, 2018, 11:35 AM »
So what price range are we talking for the ipilot?

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.