FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 629005 times)

big_guy_13021

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #2835 on: Mar 25, 2016, 04:39 PM »
OK I honestly didn't know I will stick to my lighter  ;D

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2836 on: Mar 25, 2016, 04:52 PM »
oh i'm always  willng to learn something new
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

big_guy_13021

« Reply #2837 on: Mar 25, 2016, 08:22 PM »
The way I look at it why change something that works..that's just me ..it looks to complicated for me...I would have to watch in person to learn it...I guess it could be fun...

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #2838 on: Mar 25, 2016, 08:27 PM »
With the right cups and membrane, the powder floats around in the cup and looks like it's a fluid not a powder. It results in a thinner, more consistent coat. I've tried it with and without and it definitely works better in the fluid bed. I've found it makes it much easier to add glitter and mix colors as well. All the material boils in the cup making it easy to keep mixed and apply.

Speaking of the membrane, I tried 20 or so different things off the shelf and nothing compares to the cups I bought from TJ tackle. At $5 a piece, they are well worth it.....and.....you all know how I like to build my own stuff.

At least that's my limited experience.my whole setup cost around $25 + the cost of paint ( of which I just orderd another 6 colors ::) )

Rg

RG...I've been using the fluid beds for years now and bought my first setup from tj's but researched the membranes got few samples from various mfg's got one that worked but would have to buy too much to make their minimum.....but tj's did sell small sheets of it and I made a tool from a piece of tubing to press out the right dimension circle to epoxy into the PVC. But your setup sure is impressive will have to upgrade mine.
icejohn
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

IFF

« Reply #2839 on: Mar 25, 2016, 10:59 PM »
Trapper, lots of vids on youtube on fluid beds
here's one from 2011

[ Invalid YouTube link ]
*¿*  Bud

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2840 on: Mar 26, 2016, 03:35 AM »
I saw a YouTube video where a guy had several cups I a row and stole the idea. My basement lab is pretty small so I try to make things compact and easy to store away. There's lots of stuff going on in the lab ;D

I'm just about finished making jigs for a while. I've got a couple hundred heads painted and a bunch tied up. I'll play with the new colors a bit when they get here and be done with it until I run out of something.

I really need to tie some more carp flies :w00t:

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #2841 on: Mar 26, 2016, 05:17 AM »
ok now I have the basic  understanding

Bartman44

« Reply #2842 on: Mar 29, 2016, 06:46 PM »
No tying for me (or fishing) of late. Too many distractions. Among other life events, my youngest son just bought a house and I agreed to give him my hutch (AKA my fly tying bench). Now I'm on the lookout for something better, like a tool bench but also need to store my stuff out of sight. Haven't found the perfect combo yet. Any thoughts?   

MattyP123

« Reply #2843 on: Mar 29, 2016, 09:37 PM »
Maybe a computer desk of some sort, With cupboards and shelves and drawers and such?

boondox

« Reply #2844 on: Mar 29, 2016, 09:44 PM »
harbor freight has a tool bench for 99.99 with a 20% discount it like 80 bucks also sign up for the craft men club news letters they give great discounts on tools and benches some times! I got the same bench sold at harbor freight I bought it at Menards for like 69.99 over Christmas.. any way the drawer suck and already broke and fell out I would go with any thing craftmen my self  at this point you would be better off... 

MattyP123

« Reply #2845 on: Mar 29, 2016, 09:54 PM »
Picked some tying stuff up from basspro Saturday (Easter nightmare). I did manage to talk my best fishing buddy AKA DAD into getting himself a fly rod though! Really excited to teach him what I know and learn the rest together. The teacher becomes the student kind of thing  ;D

perchgypsy

« Reply #2846 on: Mar 29, 2016, 09:55 PM »
 :w00t: boon your a trip ...thought you had a good deal for a second...nope
hey sometimes it's good to point out what no to buy....lmbo
got a bunch of walleye jigs done today...mainly 5/8oz on my plastic folding table ($30)and my other folding table which I put all my materials on ...have a cabinet that was my grandfather that holds all my materials

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2847 on: Mar 30, 2016, 03:53 AM »
No tying for me (or fishing) of late. Too many distractions. Among other life events, my youngest son just bought a house and I agreed to give him my hutch (AKA my fly tying bench). Now I'm on the lookout for something better, like a tool bench but also need to store my stuff out of sight. Haven't found the perfect combo yet. Any thoughts?   

If you build it you will tie ;D

I know,this guy who builds his own stuff like that. He likes things organized accessible and comfortable. If I remember his name, I'll let you know.

I've often thought a roll top desk would make a good bench. But it's too messy an operation to have in a living space and better relegated to a working environment........for me anyway.
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

boondox

« Reply #2848 on: Mar 30, 2016, 02:53 PM »
:w00t: boon your a trip ...thought you had a good deal for a second...nope
hey sometimes it's good to point out what no to buy....lmbo
got a bunch of walleye jigs done today...mainly 5/8oz on my plastic folding table ($30)and my other folding table which I put all my materials on ...have a cabinet that was my grandfather that holds all my materials

thank you thank you ya I am a hoot!

the thing I tie best on is a tv dinner tray table... they got them at Walmart for like $10-$15 use that and store the fly tying stuff in a good fine cabinet or shoe boxes the plastic one I throw in a piece of cedar to the tying stuff just encase.. the thing about the tray table is you got to clean it to put it away so you more likely to do it then not cause they fold up real easily so you don't want to leave it out with hook on it... I don't use my wood tier bench any more too big and heavy to get out all the time I kept it cause my dad made it for me.. I got that tray table and a bunch of shoe boxes full of tying stuff I use all the time ... this way I can get a comfy chair and sit in front of the tv and tie, tie, tie , if making a man cave work benches sit to high try the tray table from a seat position and then sit next to a work bench and compare heights you find that tray table is the perfect heights.. from a like a dinner table chair it the perfect height that or a computer chair...if you sit at a work bench like the ones I got from Menards it to high up and you need a high up stool so your feet don't touch the ground and the circulation get cut off easier.. that why I like my feet firmly planted on the ground...just a tip might want to consider one of those tv dinner tables there like $15 and can go as high as $100 depending on wood and finish  for $15 I cant beat it...another thing is you fold up that tray table you get more room in the man cave for company...but I would do the research first like sit at a few before you buy one....   

trapper2000

« Reply #2849 on: Mar 30, 2016, 04:06 PM »
what ever works for you I carry A OLD SET OF TOOLS AND A FEW HOOKS AND MATERIAL IN THE  JEEP JUST IN CASE I HAVE TO MATCH SOMETHING ,I'VE  TIED ON PICNIC TABLES FIRE GRILLS AND MY HOOD BEFORE LOL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.