FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628768 times)

SKUNK-MASTER

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #3450 on: Apr 12, 2018, 05:42 AM »
I dont know what a mulberry bush looks like........ i guess we just look for a monkey chasing a weasel  :whistling:

pb brown 27"             pb walleye 23"

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3451 on: Apr 12, 2018, 06:33 AM »
it's a tree leaves sorta remind you of apple tree leaves and it grows mulberrys they sorta look like long raspberrys but are real soft ,you can google it for pictures
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

westernmas

« Reply #3452 on: Apr 13, 2018, 09:36 AM »
Those are nice Swamp Rat.  They slam larva flies like that in the west branch of the farmington out my way.

Jon, something like this?

AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3453 on: Apr 13, 2018, 12:48 PM »

I like that fly I'm gonna add a few of them to my collection

lowaccord66

« Reply #3454 on: Apr 13, 2018, 01:24 PM »

That'll work.  One similar in all tan with no bead would be killer.

Our opener is tomorrow but the water is fast and high so I will jig for them instead.  Not many jig rivers for trout...at least that I see.  Super deadly.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3455 on: Apr 13, 2018, 02:39 PM »
early season fish seem to like everything ,once they become selective it gets a bit harder ,then I pretty much stick to the old reliable .....right now I bet a fake trout pellet would work  :rotflol:
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3456 on: Apr 13, 2018, 05:44 PM »
Thought I posted this already, guess not.

Been tying some McPhail Caddis Larvae.

And some "Mini Buggers" for gills.

Nice to get back at the bench for a bit.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3457 on: Apr 13, 2018, 06:46 PM »
What size hook on the mini boogers🤓.I haven't tried them

SwampRat

« Reply #3458 on: Apr 13, 2018, 08:04 PM »
Thought I posted this already, guess not.

Been tying some McPhail Caddis Larvae.

And some "Mini Buggers" for gills.

Nice to get back at the bench for a bit.

Rg

Well done Rg, very nice ties...........mercury dime is nice too, I have a bunch from metal detecting :D

Swamp Rat

« Reply #3459 on: Apr 13, 2018, 11:27 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That post above was from me^^^^^^^^^^^ I had to reset my password and the system gave me the profile of some guy with the username Swamprat, my screen name is Swamp Rat. I just rerset my password again and got my account back......That's some weird Friday the 13th stuff right there.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3460 on: Apr 14, 2018, 02:04 AM »
Thanks Swamp Rat.

What size hook on the mini boogers🤓.I haven't tried them

Hook: TMC 100 size 10 or  12
Bead: brass, sized to the hook add a few wraps of fine lead wire behind the bead to add weight and hold it in place.
Body: Peacock Herl
Hackle: Grisly, rust, Dun, black.....most any color really
Tail: red...I use cheap red chicken feathers from Walmart's craft department. White and yellow work too.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

seamonkey84

« Reply #3461 on: Apr 14, 2018, 08:04 AM »
Glad I found this thread! I hardly ever venture onto other states boards, but I’ll have to keep an eye on this one. 
Big Guy, your mop jig sounds interesting, but for some reason I can’t see any of the pics you’ve posted of them. Is it just like a mop fly or green weenie but on a jig hook?
RG, nice mini buggers. I will tie mini buggers down to size 14, very useful for trout and gills, some patterns I found under the name baby buggers and a variant they call briminators have produced very well for me. I’ll have to take some pics when I get home.

Here are some stuff I’ve been tying lately, I just started targeting pike with a fly last year. In memory of the legendary Lefty Kreh, here is my first batch of Lefty deceivers, along with some sea-ducers 

Here’s a pattern I found called the Well-fed (baitfish) tied on a wide gap offset worm hook to give it a broader profile.

My diy pike box.

"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Swamp Rat

« Reply #3462 on: Apr 14, 2018, 09:41 AM »
Glad I found this thread! I hardly ever venture onto other states boards, but I’ll have to keep an eye on this one. 
Big Guy, your mop jig sounds interesting, but for some reason I can’t see any of the pics you’ve posted of them. Is it just like a mop fly or green weenie but on a jig hook?
RG, nice mini buggers. I will tie mini buggers down to size 14, very useful for trout and gills, some patterns I found under the name baby buggers and a variant they call briminators have produced very well for me. I’ll have to take some pics when I get home.

Here are some stuff I’ve been tying lately, I just started targeting pike with a fly last year. In memory of the legendary Lefty Kreh, here is my first batch of Lefty deceivers, along with some sea-ducers 

Welcome seamonkey, nice ties! Glad you found us, I'm just starting out tying so it's great to have more participants to see and learn from.

geo315

• My favorite place.
« Reply #3463 on: Apr 14, 2018, 12:42 PM »
On topic / off topic
I am looking to find a place where I can get parts for my medalist fly reels.
 ereplacementparts.com has my parts as discontinued.  Any body have an idea?  Thanks Geo.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3464 on: Apr 14, 2018, 02:55 PM »
Spent some tying crappie flies today. A couple of my go to patterns.

Chartreuse in #10 4x long
Hot pink in #6 tmc 100.

Couldn't dig up any sources for Medalist Parts Geo. There was a guy in PA that always came through for me. I feel I can only remember the name.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.