FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Crappie are starting.  (Read 2805 times)

BlueDuck

Crappie are starting.
« on: Apr 21, 2009, 07:47 PM »
Went to upper Twin lake today and caught 20 crappie.  The water is still cold (48-52)  and they are scattered, but I found a few.   Im thinking in about two weeks they will be spawning and easier to find.  Its a start.

tom1234505

• 17 years old
Re: Crappie are starting.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2009, 12:14 AM »
where do Crappie usually spawn in lakes? do they go to the inlet and go upstream or do they just spawn near shore? anways today i fished old pend oreille and caught a squaw fish. first fish of the year... in that lake. a buddy of mine told me that he saw a trout and a squaw fish off his dock... well i caught the squaw fish but still have to catch that trout! oh and blueduck, did you see and gills or sunnies and are they near the shore or are there any in gills in that lake? thanks in advance!
Tom
<br /><br />

BlueDuck

« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2009, 07:36 PM »
Crappie usually spawn in shallow water (2 to 6 feet).  I usually find them near shore during the spawn but that may not always be the case.  It usually starts in the spring when the water temp raises to around 58 degrees.   No Bluegills in Twin.  There are some sunfish, but they don't generally get very big. 

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 05:21 PM »
panhandle or SE twin lakes?

tom1234505

• 17 years old
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 05:30 PM »
panhandle or SE twin lakes?

panhandle, sorry dude. :-\
<br /><br />