FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Don't put the ice skates away yet!  (Read 3236 times)

twodogs

Don't put the ice skates away yet!
« on: Mar 06, 2011, 09:43 PM »
Went to SFCR this morning hoping to get to use my two new rods I got but I guess I should have taken my ice poles instead >:(. Unfortunately the reservoir has gotten a sheet of ice on it again and not enough open water to fish. Can't believe it since 2 weeks ago I fished Big Sandy and caught nice fish.

Duck-Slayer

Re: Don't put the ice skates away yet!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2011, 08:08 AM »
how much ice, enough too fish on? catch any of those illusive walleye's over there?
Matt

twodogs

« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2011, 05:28 PM »
Absolutely not thick enough ice to walk on where I was at, don't know about down by the dam but I really reallly doubt it there too.
Wallies are tough to come by in this cold of water but once in a while you get lucky. Come try it this spring- give us a hollar and maybe we can hook up some time. :laugh:

Duck-Slayer

« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2011, 07:26 PM »
I will have too do that, grew up hunting walleye's in E. Montana... moved out here and being in the S.W. I don't every get too catch one... would love too again... does magic or any other res. over there have them?
Matt

twodogs

« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2011, 06:05 PM »
The only other one relatively close that I know of is Oakley Res, where the new state record came from last year. It is about 60-70 miles south east of Twin Falls

Duck-Slayer

« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2011, 09:00 AM »
you got a boat or do I have too haul my boat down, just a little 16' jet/duck boat...
Matt

twodogs

« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2011, 07:48 PM »
It depends on if you want to be comfortable or not, I'm a poor man only sporting a little 14' Mirror Craft :-\

Duck-Slayer

« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2011, 09:54 PM »
mines not very comfy either, just alittle bigger.... I will probably pull the overhead camper and boat...
Matt

twodogs

« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2011, 07:26 AM »
There are numerous areas to camp if you don't require "hookup". The north end by the dam and boat dock has some spots with shade shelters over picknick tables but only having a 30hp motor and the reservoir is quite long I generally put in at Grey's Landing (no ramp) because most of my fishing is on the upper end. You can camp at Grey's, Big Sand Bay and Norton but there are no services except an outhouse.

Duck-Slayer

« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2011, 08:59 AM »
prefer no service's, keeps the people away, I have a 60/40 jet on my rig, so not too fast either, what area's of the lake do most of the walleye hang out and the perch?
Matt

twodogs

« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2011, 07:27 PM »
Seems like most the walleye and perch are on the upper end between Grey's Landing, Goose Island and towards the backwaters. I have caught crappie too but not very many. I like fly fishing for trout from my pontoon also but troll for them with my boat early season when the water is cold. Have caught some real nice trout around Grey's and down by the dam also. I also enjoy casting for the numerous smallmouth bass the pond holds.

Duck-Slayer

« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2011, 10:11 PM »
not a trout person, like the crappies if there is any size too them, any decent perch in that lake? guess it doesn't matter with wally's running around....
Matt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.