FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The steelhead still biteing  (Read 7827 times)

fishslayerX

The steelhead still biteing
« on: Mar 14, 2011, 03:16 PM »
I went down with my wife to orifino fished by the hachery, their are still a few steelys in their we only fished for 8hrs total had a lot of action. Yet alas could not pull in a hog.  I snaped 15lb test braid on one never hapened to me before that stuff could pull a stump it came down to tighting the drag or getting spooled. I wanted to cry haha had to shake it off their is always next time. :tipup:

Duck-Slayer

Re: The steelhead still biteing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2011, 05:38 PM »
well, Sunday was ok, fishing the little salmon, got dirty on Monday and way high and really really dirty on Tues. it sucked.... fished in all the spots from just below new meadows all the way too grangeville and came up with squat, hooked 2 on the little on Sunday both got off.....
Matt

fishslayerX

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2011, 01:39 PM »
that is rough man what was the water like? It was pretty murkey on the clearwater. I'm going steel heading one more time next weekend then I am gearing up for chinook season starts in a month.

Duck-Slayer

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2011, 02:18 PM »
water was murky on the main above the confluence and below it was poop brown same with the little salmon, not worth fishing for at least a week or two...
Matt

fishslayerX

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2011, 09:39 AM »
Yea I hope when I go back next weekend the water will clear up a little. If the fish could see a little better than we would catch a lot more do you fish for chinook on the salmon too I hear it is pretty killer? :tipup:

Duck-Slayer

« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2011, 11:18 AM »
nope, I have lived here 11 years and never have gone chinook fishing, the elbow too elbow thing does not appeal too me...
Matt

fishslayerX

« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2011, 06:30 PM »
yea me either but I gotta try it this year, never done it before but got some killer tips from a clearwater native. I am big intimidating loudmouth people tend to makeway for me to fish, and I will combat fish with the best of them and the worst. It is almost always like that in orifino especaly at the dam first few times were kind of intimadating now I cram my way up in their, if the locals don't like it to heck with them.

Duck-Slayer

« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2011, 06:31 PM »
that's crazy... good luck, maybe i'll see you out there..... 8)
Matt

fishslayerX

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2011, 06:38 PM »
Were do you live man Im way up north in postfalls I would like to make it down to the salmon river more often but the clearwater is closer to me. I am going to make an effort to fish it do you bobber drift or plug fish I do a little of every thing.

Duck-Slayer

« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2011, 04:47 PM »
I live out by Homedale, so the Salmon is way closer for me too go and fish..... I don't hardly ever make it past grangeville, ever, I almost strictly bobber fish with a jig, tie my own jigs, never had a problem not catching anything, except for this last trip..... go figure...... ???
Matt

fishslayerX

« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2011, 08:41 PM »
I am a bead man myself or corkies they usualy work pretty well when I started every one and their brother gave me a diffrent jig to use none of em worked then i tryed a neon green corkie boom fish on. I need to add more stuff to my box still every time I go someone has got some new wamydine bead I never seen before. I cant wait til next weekend I work one week on one off this is my work week started today.

Duck-Slayer

« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2011, 10:49 AM »
right on, I may and try too get out one more time maybe if I can get somebody too split gas, or I may just start perch fishing like crazy down at CJ...
Matt

fishslayerX

« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2011, 08:19 PM »
never been to CJ wann give that a try sometime yea gas sucks seems like yesterday it was only 94cents a gal now it is going be 4dolars or more soon. Dam suck o I drive my 85 honda when I go on long trips 28 miles to the gal. why  is it cars like mine get almost as good a mileage as brand new cars wut is up with that crud.

fishslayerX

« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2011, 09:04 PM »
I cant wait to go steelheading this week end im getting the itch tieing the rods buying stuff im ancy.

Duck-Slayer

« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2011, 09:21 AM »
so I went up this past weekend, not the greatest fishing, caught 3 myself with 1 keeper and my buddy caught 2 with 1 keeper and his dad caught 4 with 1 keeper, so I got too come home with 3 cuz they don't keep them very often.... so it's pretty slow, should be picking up though....
Matt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.