FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Any brookies with color in Henry's Lake??  (Read 77554 times)

wannabe

Any brookies with color in Henry's Lake??
« on: Sep 27, 2013, 06:02 PM »
Been trying my whole life to catch a really pretty male brookie in spawning colors and was about to try Georgetown in MT, but OF COURSE the net samplings done this month show the smallest brookies they have ever netted (many nets had 13 inches as the biggest). I fished Hnery's a couple years ago and caught some huge brookies, but they were all sterile females with no color. So my choices now are gorgeous males that are 13 inches or colorless females that are 19 lol. Does anyone have any advice? Idaho F & G said they were going to start stocking males in Henry's, but who knows if they ever did, and since they will be sterile, also, who knows if they will ever get any colors. Has anyone been catching any colorful brook trout anywhere? THANKS THANKS for even the slightest help or nudge in the right direction. I have October 8th through the 13th and want to catch one before I get too old to fish for them! Dave

bluemountainlaker

• just one more cast!
Re: Any brookies with color in Henry's Lake??
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2013, 05:28 AM »
why r they sterile? in ny the stockys will breed n the lakes they put them in. and im still looking for my 20+ inch brooky for the wall to

wannabe

« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2013, 07:24 AM »
why r they sterile? in ny the stockys will breed n the lakes they put them in. and im still looking for my 20+ inch brooky for the wall to

Yeah it's kinda crazy- they stock ALL females and they're all sterile. They are so excited about how big they can get since they're females and don't have any spawning stress, but I don't think fish and game realizes many idahoans would actually be more excited about catching a three pound male with a hooked jaw and humped back, in bright spawning colors than a five pound female that looks like a grayish dull bull trout. I finally convinced them, but they were having trouble finding males to stock and it cost more money to get males and females. There's some process they makes it easier and cheaper to have each egg produce a female triploid Brookie. Weird stuff. Good luck with your 20!

bluemountainlaker

• just one more cast!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2013, 06:22 AM »
that is odd man. I went out yesterday and got 12 brookys with 2 being nice 16 inch males with a kype. and boy were they colored up for the spawn. bright red bellys and the halos on them were popping. still no 20 incher tho ;)

wannabe

« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2013, 09:00 PM »
that is odd man. I went out yesterday and got 12 brookys with 2 being nice 16 inch males with a kype. and boy were they colored up for the spawn. bright red bellys and the halos on them were popping. still no 20 incher tho ;)

Very nice!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.