FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...  (Read 1481246 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...
« Reply #7035 on: Mar 30, 2020, 01:19 PM »
Agreed. It should be ALL or NOTHING.

Me to.... Thanks for posting that mister... 

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

reeleyz

« Reply #7036 on: Mar 30, 2020, 01:23 PM »
No problem. I literally just got it 15 minutes ago.

I have no issue with them shutting it down for health reasons. I would completely understand that.

filetandrelease

« Reply #7037 on: Mar 30, 2020, 01:34 PM »

Thanks for posting

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #7038 on: Mar 30, 2020, 02:02 PM »
I agree Bruce and old timer. Thanks for the info
Nice job findin em

Badbrad2186

« Reply #7039 on: Mar 30, 2020, 03:46 PM »
I agree Bruce and old timer. Thanks for the info

Hey Bob do you play wreckfest on playstation 4 on of the competitors name is Deadeyez spelled same exact way

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #7040 on: Mar 30, 2020, 04:32 PM »
Not me. I don’t play video games.
Nice job findin em

Badbrad2186

« Reply #7041 on: Mar 30, 2020, 05:42 PM »
Not me. I don’t play video games.

Just funny the dudes name is the same as yours here.

bigbuck

« Reply #7042 on: Mar 31, 2020, 07:49 AM »
Does anyone know what percent of Oneida Lake's walleyes come from natural spawning in the creeks vs. egg taking / stocking? Lake Erie has been having some real good spawning years providing primary driver of the higher numbers. Maybe the hatchery scale back will be less of an issue? (found my way over from ice shanty).

Badbrad2186

« Reply #7043 on: Mar 31, 2020, 08:52 AM »
Does anyone know what percent of Oneida Lake's walleyes come from natural spawning in the creeks vs. egg taking / stocking? Lake Erie has been having some real good spawning years providing primary driver of the higher numbers. Maybe the hatchery scale back will be less of an issue? (found my way over from ice shanty).

Even if the natural spawn does produce the hatchery is on that lake and they strip all those walleyes from there that when they release the fry if they cant put a percentage of them back in that lake then shut the hatchery down this year and no lakes get walleye fry

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #7044 on: Mar 31, 2020, 09:50 AM »
Bad, not sure what you are trying to say...h2l

Badbrad2186

« Reply #7045 on: Mar 31, 2020, 12:41 PM »
Bad, not sure what you are trying to say...h2l

What I'm saying is the natural down maybe be good but if they are catching spawning fish to strip them the natural spawn on Oneida isnt going to be as strong as lets say lake Ontario because less fish to naturally spawn..so if they aren't going to put some of those fry in Oneida lake then shut the hatchery down this year and no lakes get any fry. If they just leave the walleyes alone on Oneida this year and let them do their thing naturally the fishery will stay sustained

mcully

« Reply #7046 on: Mar 31, 2020, 01:46 PM »

What I'm saying is the natural down maybe be good but if they are catching spawning fish to strip them the natural spawn on Oneida isnt going to be as strong as lets say lake Ontario because less fish to naturally spawn..so if they aren't going to put some of those fry in Oneida lake then shut the hatchery down this year and no lakes get any fry. If they just leave the walleyes alone on Oneida this year and let them do their thing naturally the fishery will stay sustained

Oneida has a million eyes and several tributaries that they spawn in. They only touch a very limited number for egg stripping.
With the shorter ice season and numbers of small eyes we are seeing it should be fine.
It may impact changing limits like they were discussing but only maybe.

filetandrelease

« Reply #7047 on: Mar 31, 2020, 03:04 PM »

Down East was a nursery of 13-14 1/2 “ eyes so come soft water season many will be keepers , I don’t see any problem with the eye population , go look at the thousands upon thousands that are or will be in 1 small stream (Scriba creek) and that’s only 1 of several bigger ones

Old Timer

« Reply #7048 on: Mar 31, 2020, 07:59 PM »
How many years have they been stocking other lakes ?  Probably 50 or more. Seems by now those lakes would be self sustaining or not suited to walleyes. They are not stocking legal size so its not a put and take situation. Still say if you are not going to put back don’t take.  A few years back the guys were saying Oneida always gets her allotment first. When short on the # of eggs they hatched out they cut the other places #’s.  When the population in Oneida was low they cut limits and raised size. 25 to 15 to 10 to 5 to 3.  Why not just raise the limit to 4 or 5, leave the lake be for a year and spend the bucks saved on ventilators...   

filetandrelease

« Reply #7049 on: Mar 31, 2020, 09:16 PM »
 Good idea OT ,  the money saved might help but I believe the gov said $25,000,00 per ventilator, it’s the availability seems to be the real problem,  but any help is better than none

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.