FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...  (Read 1480685 times)

jperch

Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD...
« Reply #9105 on: Apr 07, 2022, 06:40 PM »
This seems like a big story.  I have not seen any coverage of it in the local media which is surprising to me.  It certainly is a nasty image.

Yotecatcher

« Reply #9106 on: Apr 07, 2022, 06:52 PM »
Ugly Stick the bill which was referenced in the article was vetoed by our now governor. So in my opinion those who were caught spearing shld be held accountable and issued tickets. Jmo and as others have said they weren't from this area and crossed the border.
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything

UglyStik

« Reply #9107 on: Apr 07, 2022, 07:10 PM »
I just pulled up some articles on this, not familiar with the whole scope of it yet. Still gathering & trying to process the facts. I guess their claim is old treaties allow them to practice the ritual of spearing on waters they used to fish. As mentioned this was also an issue in Wisconsin in the past and went to federal court. So, they may have a right to do so. I guess we just stop stocking the lake and giving them free fish? Did walleye even exist in the lake back then, I thought they were introduced?

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #9108 on: Apr 07, 2022, 07:18 PM »
me personally i am writing calling and e mailing my legislators senators and   governor i am also calling the  DEC  ......no reason for  any  violence....and i still stand by my  statement  they want to  be ticketed they want to be arrested  they want this is  court
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Yotecatcher

« Reply #9109 on: Apr 07, 2022, 07:23 PM »
I hear ya Ugly Stick and that's what we all need to do Trapper.

UglyStik

« Reply #9110 on: Apr 07, 2022, 07:25 PM »
I definitely want to hear what NYS and the DEC's position is, waiting for that. And they probably have to tread carefully.

oneida1

« Reply #9111 on: Apr 07, 2022, 07:27 PM »
Your correct Trapper they do want to get tickets after the BILL that would have allowed this got shot down they figured they would go around the rules via the courts ,,,, local courts more then likely will find them guilty until it gets to  federal level on appeals and if they win in federal court no matter what DEC says or What State laws says it wont matter and they will be able to da as they want

UglyStik

« Reply #9112 on: Apr 07, 2022, 07:38 PM »
Yes, and if it gets to Federal court, looks to me like the Wisconsin ruling would stand and their rights would be upheld.

Hardwater2

« Reply #9113 on: Apr 07, 2022, 08:12 PM »
Yes, and if it gets to Federal court, looks to me like the Wisconsin ruling would stand and their rights would be upheld.

X2
Same thing happened in Minnesota and Wisconsin. As hard as it is to see (it’s a tough one for all of us) their rights will supersede.
Especially today during these times.

Yotecatcher

« Reply #9114 on: Apr 07, 2022, 08:22 PM »
So now the hatchery is closed 😕👎🏻

reeleyz

« Reply #9115 on: Apr 07, 2022, 08:24 PM »
The Hatchery is closed to the public again and they are not allowing access to the creek for now. The area is being monitored.

If they can deny access to the creek then this specific problem goes away for now. Not that other problems won’t crop up. I also heard of an incident on Fish Creek today.

oneida1

« Reply #9116 on: Apr 07, 2022, 08:29 PM »
 they close one area to everyone most likely the only way to keep them out but there are many more place these idiots can go and do this  but at least DEC is trying it seems, this is going get ugly ....

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #9117 on: Apr 07, 2022, 08:45 PM »
As I said earlier, only way to try and stop them is put up posted signs and start issuing Trespass tickets to anyone that goes on the property. Sadly, our Federal geniuses would let them find a loophole in that law too…
Compromise with them and tell them they can have all the mud sharks they can get out of the Salmon River, if they leave the Walleye alone…unfortunately there isn’t a market for Lake Ontario Salmon…🤮

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #9118 on: Apr 07, 2022, 08:48 PM »
they close one area to everyone most likely the only way to keep them out but there are many more place these idiots can go and do this  but at least DEC is trying it seems, this is going get ugly ....
I actually can’t think of 1 more spot of any significance on Oneida where they could spear walleye like that. Couple small ditches that occasionally a few fish swim up….the gill nets is what we should be worried about…then the fishery will be decimated.

Badbrad2186

« Reply #9119 on: Apr 07, 2022, 10:20 PM »
Ugly Stick the bill which was referenced in the article was vetoed by our now governor. So in my opinion those who were caught spearing shld be held accountable and issued tickets. Jmo and as others have said they weren't from this area and crossed the border.

Unfortunately federal law trump's state law and not matter what when they take it federal all state charges will be dropped as Federal law gives them that right.. weather you like it or not that's how it works

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.