FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Foul hooked or not?  (Read 5305 times)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Foul hooked or not?
« on: May 15, 2019, 03:18 PM »
Just wondering what your opinions are on this scenario -

You catch a bass on a large jerk bait with 3 trebles. Tail treble is in fishes mouth but the middle and head treble are across the gill plate. First hook you take out is the tail end hook that was in the mouth. Then second treble is the middle one. If you at that point only saw 1 hook being removed from the gill plate, would you call that a foul hooked fish?
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: Foul hooked or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 03:20 PM »
2 responses from the other topic -

meandcuznalfy - Yes at that point I believe it would be considered foul hooked.

zwiggles - I would say it’s not foul hooked if it’s hooked in the mouth.
Wicked Wec

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 04:35 PM »
I have to ask....what's the point? Are you dealing with some rules or something?

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 05:11 PM »
Who cares.
First, bass season doesn't open till first Saturday in June.
Second, they are considered an invasive species and should be killed.

8)

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 05:17 PM »
Yes there is a hook in the mouth, but according to your scenario the only hook I see is the one in the gill plate. That would be a foul hooked fish. Now had I seen all the hooks in the fish it would not be considered foul hooked, as I would have saw the hooks in the mouth.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 05:22 PM »
Where's Snagger when you need him?    8)
Different in every state.
Bass on tournament trail if the bass are trying to take it and close to mouth counts . If in side or tail not...     JMO....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 05:32 PM »
Now now......let's not fall off the edge of the world here.

You know....I don't think there's walleye in Florida....Hmmmm!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 05:32 PM »
So...this is about tournament fishing?

Rg

zwiggles

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 06:09 PM »
Rg, I think it’s about opinions. I think he just presented a hypothetical scenario to promote some friendly banter.

If I saw a green carp with only a hook in the gill plate I think I’d call it snagged.

That being said I can’t imagine a scenario where I would see it with only that hook in it the way you presented it. Unless I was approaching the guy in another tourney boat, and only saw the “tail end” of the hooks being pulled. In that case I would have seen him fooling with the other hooks to remove them, and would have then called it legal when he told me what happened (after I had asked).

If I was a partner with the guy in the boat I surely would have seen the other hooks when it was landed.

So I guess I still think if it was hooked in the lip, it’s not fouled.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 06:48 PM »
Well, in that case....I don't care how many hooks it has in it. I fly fish a lot and figure that if I can get my fly back.......it's caught. Same would apply with any other type of fishing.

I was just curious.
Rg

fishinjohn

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 07:13 PM »
Rg, I think it’s about opinions. I think he just presented a hypothetical scenario to promote some friendly banter.
I'm guessing he brought this here for more people's opinions.... This came up on the ND walleye record being denied due to evidence it was "supposedly" a foul hooked fish

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 08:14 PM »
Had it not been a record fish, "who would even care about it". I am pretty sure none of us are going to be foul hooking any records in the near future. Go fish, do what is legal and sleep at night. You will feel better in the morning....h2l

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 02:26 AM »
I'm guessing he brought this here for more people's opinions.... This came up on the ND walleye record being denied due to evidence it was "supposedly" a foul hooked fish

Gotcha! Thanks. Gotta have some strict rules for that kind of thing or some dirtbag would find a way of cheating. Had to be a tough call though. I'd hate to be one of the people making the decision.

Getting ready to go "hook" a couple any way I can. 👍

Rg

swnoel

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 04:52 AM »
Its pretty clear you should be turning yourself into the authorities and begging forgiveness... ;)

Roccus

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 06:33 AM »
Snagged fish/foul hooked is a fish that has not voluntarily taken a bait into it's mouth, in your scenario, the fish was hooked in the mouth, as well as other parts of the body, in order for the hook to be inside the fishes mouth it had to bite the bait, in the ensuing struggle the fish became entangled in the remaining hooks...its pretty simple, as long as the rear hook was inside the mouth and not outside or along it.

I might ad, I've actually seen this exact scenario many times, I remove the "foul" hooks first for my and the fishes safety, not the hook in the mouth.. I actually had it happen this morning with a 20 lb class  striper.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.