FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: PERCH, SENECA, KEUKA  (Read 12727 times)

robinhoodsucci

Re: PERCH, SENECA, KEUKA
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2010, 03:52 PM »
My perch partner and I fished out of Severne today and picked up around 30 keepers and several smalls that we released back. 4 other boats were out and some trout trollers. All came in 20 FOW.
Weather was a little cold but hardly any wind until late in the afternoon when the north winds came in.
Percher looking to go in march oneida lake is over to bad..jigs or drop shot....thks

robinhoodsucci

« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2010, 03:53 PM »
My perch partner and I fished out of Severne today and picked up around 30 keepers and several smalls that we released back. 4 other boats were out and some trout trollers. All came in 20 FOW.
Weather was a little cold but hardly any wind until late in the afternoon when the north winds came in.
Percher

fishermantim4

« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2010, 10:16 AM »
spray your line with reel magic, i think its called, guys use it steelhead fishing in winter. spray it right on the line and have no problems with the eyelets freezing up
"there's no fish in this ditch!"

Huntny30

• "What ever you are, be a good one." Abe
« Reply #18 on: Mar 03, 2010, 05:15 AM »
Start at Roy's Marina about 2 miles south on Rt 14 of Geneva.  Not the best launch, but pay the $6.00 and talk to the owners Larry & Roz.  They are super nice people and will give you some good and current information.  They also have a decent amount of the right tackle to get you started.  There is good fishing for perch right in their bay - Glass Factory - and it's as good a place as any to start.

Go with light line 4-6lb test, but not necessarily a light action rod.  These fish are caught as deep as 100' sometimes and most often between 20-50'.  Heavy weights are used to get down fast and an ultalight rod just doesn't give you the sensitivity you need with heavier weight.  I use medium & sometimes medium light action rods.

If you are lucky and get a calm day, cruise around along the drop or in the deepest water you can see bottom in.  You will eventually see what your after.    Probably won't catch too many of them, but it will get you fired up.   These are uncommonly spooky fish, so give others plenty of room, whether you are just scouting or looking to pull up and anchor.

This is a tough lake to fish!!!!  Don't get discouraged, but you need to put your time in.

Thanks for the info, definitely sounds challenging!
\"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person.\" Fred Bear

Huntny30

• "What ever you are, be a good one." Abe
« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2010, 05:17 AM »
My suggestion would be find someone who has already fished it a few times or your going to get VERY frustrated, the perch can be very hard to target and even harder to catch with any consistency. Don't get me wrong maybe your really good and you'll have no problem but, I've been after them for more than 10 years and still have some BAD days on Seneca Lake.

Good Luck,
Steve
Talked to few people, but don't know anyone that has fished down there regularly...sounds like a challenge, maybe on a nice day I'll make the trip down there with my LUND to explore...Thanks
\"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person.\" Fred Bear

beachcomber

« Reply #20 on: Mar 04, 2010, 10:04 AM »
Anyone been out on Seneca. I have the boat ready. My wife just had our first child 6 days ago. I hope to get away for a few hours now and then . just wondering if anybody is doing any good. I am not looking for your spot just would like to know if they are hitting. I am not going to get to make many trips over there. It would be nice to know if anyone is catching them before I drive the 2 hrs. Thanks for you're help.

Lund sss

• Tight Lines, Steve
« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2010, 10:15 AM »
Anyone been out on Seneca. I have the boat ready. My wife just had our first child 6 days ago. I hope to get away for a few hours now and then . just wondering if anybody is doing any good. I am not looking for your spot just would like to know if they are hitting. I am not going to get to make many trips over there. It would be nice to know if anyone is catching them before I drive the 2 hrs. Thanks for you're help.

Will be on the lake tomorrow and hope to get into them, launching out of Severne and heading north. I'll report on the outcome later
Tight Lines,
Steve

crash430

« Reply #22 on: Mar 04, 2010, 09:05 PM »
I have heard of perch being caught from the pier but most are caught from boats.
thaks for the info only thing i have ever caught off the pier have been basss pike and pickeral and a few bullhead

venisonman

« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2010, 10:20 PM »
Anybody have input on a good charter service for April perch on Seneca?
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

dbthekid

« Reply #24 on: Mar 08, 2010, 06:26 AM »
launched from Roys yesterday and fished sunset bay...lots of boats and all the locals said they were killing them the day before but couldnt buy a bite today.  fished w/ fatheads and spikes but next time i'll be using sliders on a 1/4 ounce jig head...didnt catch a single perch >:(

Lund sss

• Tight Lines, Steve
« Reply #25 on: Mar 08, 2010, 06:48 AM »
launched from Roys yesterday and fished sunset bay...lots of boats and all the locals said they were killing them the day before but couldnt buy a bite today.  fished w/ fatheads and spikes but next time i'll be using sliders on a 1/4 ounce jig head...didnt catch a single perch >:(

The "locals" hope your not talking about Roy's. There ALWAYS killing them thats a selling point for bait. Keep at it you'll find them sooner or later and be rewarded with a few pigs

dbthekid

« Reply #26 on: Mar 08, 2010, 10:37 AM »
not at all...roy's is great the owners were so friendly and gave some great advice i just meant i talked to a couple locals who said the day before they were killing them but nobody was catching any that day...i believe there are some good ones there and i'll put in my time before i expect to be rewarded

kingfisher22

« Reply #27 on: Mar 08, 2010, 06:00 PM »
not at all...roy's is great the owners were so friendly and gave some great advice i just meant i talked to a couple locals who said the day before they were killing them but nobody was catching any that day...i believe there are some good ones there and i'll put in my time before i expect to be rewarded

They're always killing them the day before.  That's a Seneca Lake given.  But to be fair to Larry & Roz (the owner's of Roy's) I don't believe he just gives good reports for the sake of selling bait.  He has told me plenty of times nothing much was going on and likewise he has put me in the general area of fish lots of times too.  It's a big lake, to say they're getting them in front of the Pink Cottage can be accurate but still leaves a lot of water to explore.

I will also add this, there are a handful of locals that go out of Roy's that almost always are on fish and they could very well be the ones that "killed them".   To anyone starting to fish on Seneca for perch I have to repeat myself.  Don't get discouraged.  You will probably have more bad days than good.  I fished 8 hours with my very skilled partner Saturday and we got 1 perch and one smallie (I know, I Know I can hear all the jokes already).  That's the nature of Seneca.

dbthekid

« Reply #28 on: Mar 09, 2010, 02:58 PM »
I'm hoping to get back to seneca this weekend i'd love to fish it sat and sun but the weather isnt looking too good and i'm only in a 14 footer so maybe the following weekend anyone been doing good on the perch?

percher

« Reply #29 on: Mar 11, 2010, 09:14 PM »
Got a report from some friends who were on Seneca today and they said it was slow, only got about 20 but had a couple over 2lbs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.