FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: PERCH, SENECA, KEUKA  (Read 12714 times)

yukonstu

Re: PERCH, SENECA, KEUKA
« Reply #30 on: Mar 12, 2010, 09:44 PM »
Got a report from some friends who were on Seneca today and they said it was slow, only got about 20 but had a couple over 2lbs.
friends fished out of sampson today nothing going on fished them hard but they have been catching fish seneca is a tough lake to fish and the locals are hush hush  on where there picking them up lot of searching  and more arguements out there if you dont use ur ethics very serious fisherman on our lake sometimes a little more than i like but to each there own so if u see boats dont storm in or u will hear it the perch are spooky and can blow the day if u bang the anchor or anything ill see you all out there good luck

kingfisher22

« Reply #31 on: Mar 13, 2010, 09:38 PM »
Fished Seneca today.  Tough day, found some fish but nothing schooled up.  Caught 12 perch (2 of us) and just couldn't seem to get it going.  Also got 5 nice smallies, so between what we caught and what we missed enough activity to keep it interestiing.  Beats falling through the ice.  Caught them all on plastics - swirl tail minnows and slider grubs of various colors.  Fish were shallower than I usually get them this time, 15-20 fow.  A lot of debris and crap in the water.  Water temp 39 degrees.

bb4

« Reply #32 on: Mar 14, 2010, 09:32 AM »
Great job, Kingfisher.  Where did did you catch them and what make/model of rod do you use for catching these fish?

percher

« Reply #33 on: Mar 14, 2010, 07:50 PM »
Kingfisher,

We also use swirltail minnows and sliders, both work great. If you ever need any pumpkinseed swirltails drop me a line, I had a few thousand made up and have been supplying guys with them. Thursday is looking good so far for Seneca and I might try and get on the water again. We useally fish out of Severne and have done well so far there this year.
Percher

kingfisher22

« Reply #34 on: Mar 14, 2010, 07:53 PM »
Great job, Kingfisher.  Where did did you catch them and what make/model of rod do you use for catching these fish?

Thanks, but I'm not so sure 12 constitutes a great job.  It's a start and enough to make me want to go back for more, but nothing to write home about yet.  I got them on Seneca,  I don't want to come across as a jerk, but I won't divulge specific locations.  I caught them in 15-20 fow.  A few we caught fairly close to the boat and parallel to the drop with the depthfinder reading 17' so I'm guessing they were all around that depth.  No bladders were popping out of their mouths so they weren't too deep. 

I make my own rods, but I use a lot of Cabela's blanks.  This was a 6'6" Fish Eagle II heavy action blank.  I mentioned before I use heavier than normal action rods so they don't go mushy with big weights (up to 1oz, sometimes more).  Helps to maintain sensitivity with a lot of weight and wind.  I also think a lot of manufacturers call their rods a little heavier than what I actually feel is a heavy action.

Went again today by myself and only caught 3 in the same area.  Nice fish though, of the 15 we caught in 2 days not one was under 12" and one was just shy of 14"  If I can figure out how to post pics, I will start posting some.  Fish I cleaned today had snails in them.  Yesterday I noticed some spit up zebra mussels.  No wonder I can't catch them.

kingfisher22

« Reply #35 on: Mar 14, 2010, 07:58 PM »
Kingfisher,

We also use swirltail minnows and sliders, both work great. If you ever need any pumpkinseed swirltails drop me a line, I had a few thousand made up and have been supplying guys with them. Thursday is looking good so far for Seneca and I might try and get on the water again. We useally fish out of Severne and have done well so far there this year.
Percher

Thanks for the offer, I'm pretty well stocked myself.  I bought a bunch of both lures in bulk, way cheaper than buying them at the tackle store.  I've been thinking of trying Severne, but all the east wind lately has kept me away. 

percher

« Reply #36 on: Mar 16, 2010, 03:27 PM »
Going to try either Seneca or Keuka on thursday,  any New reports about either??

TheWogg

« Reply #37 on: Mar 16, 2010, 03:52 PM »
this may sound ignorant to a bunch of you, but what is a slider?

tobykoko

« Reply #38 on: Mar 16, 2010, 04:13 PM »
this may sound ignorant to a bunch of you, but what is a slider?

Look up" Charlie Brewer's crappie slider grub"

TheWogg

« Reply #39 on: Mar 17, 2010, 07:52 AM »
Thanks,

htredneck

« Reply #40 on: Mar 17, 2010, 08:40 AM »
When you guys are fishing plastics and doing well, are you riggin them with a standard jig head and fishing it right on the bottom or are you running some sort of drop shot rig?

Seems the Plastics frequently out fish bait on Seneca, so I was thinking of trying the same on Cayuga where bait is usually the preferred offering.

Thanks

Johnson54

« Reply #41 on: Mar 17, 2010, 09:35 AM »
When you guys are fishing plastics and doing well, are you riggin them with a standard jig head and fishing it right on the bottom or are you running some sort of drop shot rig?

Seems the Plastics frequently out fish bait on Seneca, so I was thinking of trying the same on Cayuga where bait is usually the preferred offering.

Thanks

I had the same question, along with if you are using a jig/darter head what are some good colors? This is all I ask I will put my time in a find the fish. Thanks

Gamma Fish

« Reply #42 on: Mar 17, 2010, 12:45 PM »
I had the same question, along with if you are using a jig/darter head what are some good colors? This is all I ask I will put my time in a find the fish. Thanks
I like a 1/16th to 1/8th jig head (preferably a stand up or chub jig style but ball heads are fine) and the plastic colors need to be different shades of greens and/or browns.   Something that immitates an oak leaf grub.
  Brewers crappie Sliders in Avacado glitter have been hot for years and still are.   Maki Plastic "Stonies" in green or brown are killers on Seneca as well !   One of my all time favorites is a small 1 1/2 tapered grub body in motor oil glitter on a 1/16 oz jig head or rigged on # 6 or 8 hooks on a dropper with a pencil sinker on the bottom.
   One word of advice for catchijng Seneca Lake perch.    DON'T JIG.......DRAG....SLOWLY ON THE BOTTOM !!

GF
Plastics are Fantastic !

kingfisher22

« Reply #43 on: Mar 17, 2010, 09:09 PM »

Thanks

Drop shot. Usually 2 lures about 16" apart anywhere from 12"-24" above the sinker.  I usually put the slider on a 1/32 oz jig head and attach them to the main line with a short dropper loop like you use ice fishing.

Don't know if it really makes a difference, but when you get into fish, I find it is a lot easier & faster to get the hook out.  When it's cold I can use forceps and pinch the head with out taking my gloves off.  Also saves chewing up the plastic.

yukonstu

« Reply #44 on: Mar 18, 2010, 07:17 AM »

ive been having good luck with pumpkin , camo brewers sliders

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.