FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: PERCH, SENECA, KEUKA  (Read 12752 times)

crash430

Re: PERCH, SENECA, KEUKA
« Reply #45 on: Mar 18, 2010, 11:26 AM »
I have heard of perch being caught from the pier but most are caught from boats.
thanks for info ,won't waste my time trying ,i have caught pike bass,pickerel and bullheads from pier ,was just wondering about perch !!!!

slamboney

• hook em so hard they go cross eyed!!
« Reply #46 on: Mar 18, 2010, 11:53 AM »
I like a 1/16th to 1/8th jig head (preferably a stand up or chub jig style but ball heads are fine) and the plastic colors need to be different shades of greens and/or browns.   Something that immitates an oak leaf grub.
  Brewers crappie Sliders in Avacado glitter have been hot for years and still are.   Maki Plastic "Stonies" in green or brown are killers on Seneca as well !   One of my all time favorites is a small 1 1/2 tapered grub body in motor oil glitter on a 1/16 oz jig head or rigged on # 6 or 8 hooks on a dropper with a pencil sinker on the bottom.
   One word of advice for catchijng Seneca Lake perch.    DON'T JIG.......DRAG....SLOWLY ON THE BOTTOM !!

GF

Great info. I can tell from the detail you know what's up. Never fished Seneca for perch but might give it a try one of these days. I am only a couple miles from Onedia so it's hard to justify the drive.
shut up and fish

Gamma Fish

« Reply #47 on: Mar 18, 2010, 12:53 PM »
Great info. I can tell from the detail you know what's up. Never fished Seneca for perch but might give it a try one of these days. I am only a couple miles from Onedia so it's hard to justify the drive.
I hear ya on the drive with Oneida having the quality perch that it does !    I'm in the same boat.    I love Oneida !   Best inland multi specie fishery in North America !

Only reason I go to Seneca these days is for the challenge and/or to take others out who've never fished it or who've struggled in their attemps to catch the big perch there.   The draw of catching a 2 lb perch in 70 ft of water still gets my attention  ;D ;D
Plastics are Fantastic !

percher

« Reply #48 on: Mar 18, 2010, 11:13 PM »
Going to try either Seneca or Keuka on thursday,  any New reports about either??

We fished Keuka today out of Branchport and managed 46 perch with 4 Jumbos. Got them all on plastics, sliders, swirltail minnows and oak leaf grubs. Found a few nice schools on the camera and the weather was great.
Good luck

mindgamer_2000

« Reply #49 on: Mar 19, 2010, 01:55 AM »
new to this do they get big perch off shore at Indian Pines Park in keuka in the spring or do you need a boat.

mindgamer_2000

« Reply #50 on: Mar 19, 2010, 01:58 AM »
I also was wondering if anyone knows of a stream I can take my Grandson and smelt keuka.cant smelt Owasco anymore everywhere is off limits

kappy

« Reply #51 on: Mar 19, 2010, 05:09 AM »
I like a 1/16th to 1/8th jig head (preferably a stand up or chub jig style but ball heads are fine) and the plastic colors need to be different shades of greens and/or browns.   Something that immitates an oak leaf grub.
  Brewers crappie Sliders in Avacado glitter have been hot for years and still are.   Maki Plastic "Stonies" in green or brown are killers on Seneca as well !   One of my all time favorites is a small 1 1/2 tapered grub body in motor oil glitter on a 1/16 oz jig head or rigged on # 6 or 8 hooks on a dropper with a pencil sinker on the bottom.
   One word of advice for catchijng Seneca Lake perch.    DON'T JIG.......DRAG....SLOWLY ON THE BOTTOM !!

GF

Gammafish you are exactly right
  with the colors and technique , motor oil and slow, also find weeds, drag through very slowly, when you feel the weeds pause for a couple seconds I like to use just 1/8 ounce jig with a big fathead

percher

« Reply #52 on: Mar 19, 2010, 07:43 AM »
I also was wondering if anyone knows of a stream I can take my Grandson and smelt keuka.cant smelt Owasco anymore everywhere is off limits

Mindgamer,

We use to get smelt at the creek between the motel and Urbana launch in Hammondsport where it runs into the lake.

kingfisher22

« Reply #53 on: Mar 19, 2010, 12:18 PM »

birdman1980

« Reply #54 on: Mar 19, 2010, 02:01 PM »
seneca is the hardest perch lake ive ever fished! i can ever get on the d**n things in hat lake anymore. i use to catch them all the time 15yrs ago but not anymore

Lund sss

• Tight Lines, Steve
« Reply #55 on: Mar 19, 2010, 03:43 PM »
seneca is the hardest perch lake ive ever fished! i can ever get on the d**n things in hat lake anymore. i use to catch them all the time 15yrs ago but not anymore

Where's hat lake ???? you boy's been doing alittle funny stuff .  Yeah it's tuff but where else do you catch 2 lb perch ???

Taildancer

« Reply #56 on: Mar 19, 2010, 07:18 PM »
Anyone know where painted rock is on Seneca and if there is boat launch near by?

Thanks for any help

kingfisher22

« Reply #57 on: Mar 20, 2010, 11:58 AM »
Anyone know where painted rock is on Seneca and if there is boat launch near by?

Thanks for any help

It's on the east shore about 1/2 mile north of Watkins Glen.  There is a big American Flag along with some other grafitti painted on the shale cliffs.  There is boat launch right there in Watkins Glen,  I used it years ago, but don't remember exactly how to get to it.

perchgod27

« Reply #58 on: Mar 22, 2010, 01:08 PM »
i do catch some perch at seneca sometimes but i have never caught a perch at painted rocks ever in about 10 outings. if anybody else does let me know

slamboney

• hook em so hard they go cross eyed!!
« Reply #59 on: Mar 22, 2010, 02:58 PM »
I hear ya on the drive with Oneida having the quality perch that it does !    I'm in the same boat.    I love Oneida !   Best inland multi specie fishery in North America !

Only reason I go to Seneca these days is for the challenge and/or to take others out who've never fished it or who've struggled in their attemps to catch the big perch there.   The draw of catching a 2 lb perch in 70 ft of water still gets my attention  ;D ;D

70ft that's crazy. 
shut up and fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.