FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Garden time!!!  (Read 38815 times)

BAZOOKAJOE

Re: Garden time!!!
« Reply #120 on: Jul 20, 2006, 08:19 AM »
well this is not exactly a garden but I will get pics of that when its done.  Here are some mushroom logs that We have that produce shitake mushrooms.  When we have alot of excess mushrooms we seel them to a local Itilian deli.  they buy them for 8$ a pound 

Here are a few pics of the logs loaded with shitakes. 

Here is a another angle.

Here is a close up of the shitakes. 

I'm getting...... :wacko:

Pikeguy

« Reply #121 on: Jul 20, 2006, 08:19 AM »
Lookin good Mike!   8)

slipbob

« Reply #122 on: Jul 20, 2006, 08:39 AM »
Wow devil-man that's an AWESOME garden :o  Incredible!!

devil-man

« Reply #123 on: Jul 20, 2006, 08:40 AM »
Thanks, guys.
The only problem I've encountered so far this year has been potato bugs.
A little Sevin took care of them, though...

grumpymoe

« Reply #124 on: Jul 30, 2006, 05:06 PM »
here's an update on things around the garden here. we've had pretty much no rain for the last 5 weeks, except for about 2 brief showers that dropped about 1/16". the only things that have been watered sparingly have been the tomatoes, lettuce and pepperplants which might get once a week or less. ground moisture has been good even with daytime temperatures averaging around 90 degrees. When I walked out to take pics this afternoon, a thunderboomer came through and lightly sprinkled the plants as I took these pics, and the sun popped back out on the way to the house.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       strawberries are long since over...raspberries have been producing for over 2 weeks and still going strong.  the squash planted only to take up space and provide groundcover have gone crazy wild with each plant taking up about 12' and now climbing the plum tree....the cucumbers are going crazy too. I jokingly said the other day, that I swear when I finish picking the second row, I go back to the first lol...cantaloupes are already about 1/2 size and likely to produce a few HUNDRED  ::) ::) peas just about done....corn near...Yukon gold potatoes are fully grown..(one is enough to fill a frypan)...all in all....a great year on a sparesly watered garden. (underwatering is the way to go).....Grump  8)

CNY Farmer

« Reply #125 on: Jul 30, 2006, 06:04 PM »
Very nice garden Grump looks like you should have enough Veggies to cook out on the Ice  this winter ;D   
I'd rather be fishing instead of milking!!!!

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
« Reply #126 on: Jul 31, 2006, 12:58 AM »
Very nice Grump.  Haven't had to water the garden at all this year.  But if the current weather keeps up in central NY, I think I'll start growing organic cattails  ::)  My wife stepped into the cucumber patch and sank 4" into muck.

Bean

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #127 on: Jul 31, 2006, 06:12 AM »
Very nice Moe. I wish I had space like that to plant a bigger garden.
Ken A.

scansy

• IX - X - XIII - XIV - XL
« Reply #128 on: Aug 25, 2006, 04:27 PM »
Man, I have had a bad year for the garden.  Other projects  >:( and of course fishing  ;D have got in the way.  I didn't put as much time in as usual.  Tomatoes have been OK - we canned sauce and were actually eating tomatoes on Memorial Day weekend (small hobby greenhouse allows me to get a couple of plants in early).  We also had enough strawberries to freeze in syrup and picked a ton of wild wine berries also frozen.  They both make quick and tasty deserts.  Other than that..... not much.  A few peppers, zuchinis, asparagus, potatos and beans.  Carrots and onions are for crap.  We did have brocoli and cauliflower early.  Now I'm hoping for my late escarole to do well.

devil-man

« Reply #129 on: Aug 26, 2006, 10:21 AM »
I thought it was a great year!
My sister and I made and canned some salsa that will dominate your taste buds...

I'll get some pics up here eventually.

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #130 on: Aug 28, 2006, 08:31 AM »
I don't have room for much more than a few flower beds on my tiny city lot, so I went home and swiped these heirloom maters from my folks. ;)  Yummy!

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

ladyfish

« Reply #131 on: Aug 30, 2006, 11:32 AM »
The sliced one looks like a brandywine heirloom type.  Is the one to the left of the yellow pear tomato a cherry type of the brandywine?  I had a couple of them once, but can't seem to find any seeds for a cherry brandywine tomato.

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #132 on: Aug 30, 2006, 11:44 AM »
The sliced one looks like a brandywine heirloom type.  Is the one to the left of the yellow pear tomato a cherry type of the brandywine?  I had a couple of them once, but can't seem to find any seeds for a cherry brandywine tomato.

To be completely honest, ladyfish, I have no idea.  :-\   When it comes to heirloom tomatoes, my dad can prattle on for hours about hyrbids, strains, other stuff that is lost on me.  They grow 'em and I eat 'em.  All I can tell you is that they were all delicious. ;)

scansy

• IX - X - XIII - XIV - XL
« Reply #133 on: Aug 30, 2006, 01:04 PM »
This time of year, we eat bacon and tomato sandwiches a couple of times a week.  Real bacon - not the waterlogged crap in the grocery stores - go to a butcher to get the real thing.  Add a little mayo and all of a sudden a sandwich is a good time! :laugh:

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #134 on: Aug 30, 2006, 01:31 PM »
I'm right with you Scansy.  My friend found this little spot for bacon that is un-freakin'-believable!  It's a little butcher shop/convenience store way out in the sticks.  The proprietors are a husband and wife team in their 80's or 90's.  They cure and smoke right there on site.  The service seems terrible until you slow down and get into chatty mode.  It takes forever for them to get your order, but they know my name and remember what I want everytime I walk in.  It's about 45 minutes one way to get there, but I'd drive twice that far for this bacon.  My friends have taken to calling it God's bacon and I can't disagree.  It's the best I've ever had and I used to belong to a bacon of the month club!  Everytime I drive up, I pray they are still alive ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.