FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hornpout  (Read 19370 times)

psleeser

Hornpout
« on: Aug 18, 2005, 10:09 AM »
Just moved from Pensacola, Florida and loving it up here. Mostly been fly fishing for trout . The natives tell me that hornpout is the best eating fish up here but most folks don't go out catching them. I live in Epsom near Northwood and Pleasent Lakes. My issue is access to a hornpout hole in this are. I have no boat at this time so I am stuck fishing on the banks. In addition there is little in the line of literature on catching these catfish cousins. I know us fisherman don't like giving out info like I am requesting. However, I did work in Gray's Tackle in Perdido Key for many years and we would help many a snow bird with fishing tips and locations. So time to reciprocate don't you agree? Thanks in advance. Phil the phishn phool.

Smelt1

• Born to fish,forced to work!
Re: Hornpout
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2005, 06:32 PM »
Phil, I don't think cathing brown bullheads or hornpout should be a problem.My sons and I primarily use two baits for them.Nightcrawlers on the bottom are there favorite food but chicken livers on the bottom work well also.I'm not familiar with your side of the lake but if you ever get to the east side of the state lake wentworth off of rte.109 in Wolfeboro has some nice hornpout.As far as the best eating fish up here thats debateable.Hornpout does'nt taste anything like there southern cousins.Try a nice batch of white perch if your looking for tablefair,or come down to the beach for a couple of nice 40"+ striped bass!
Bubba

Zorros shack

• This account is closed.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2007, 07:34 AM »
The catfish up here will eat most anything! Try anything that is bloody or gross and the cats will eat it, or even the glow in the dark maggots (their fake maggots).

NH piker

« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2007, 06:44 PM »
Does anyone know where a good place in the Claremont area for catching some GOOD size hornpout? I'm looking for the 12" or so kind.  I heard that Milan Pond in Washington has some nice pouts does anyone know if thats true?  I used to go to Crescent Lake in Unity years ago and was nothing to catch a boat load.  Any help would be very appreciated.

thefinlessbrown

« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2007, 11:32 PM »
hey psleeser ... freezes pond is right down the road from u thats a hornpout hot spot !!!1 give it a shot let me know how you do .... good luck
set the drag ya never know !!!!

jibbs

« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2007, 07:59 AM »
when i was younger we fished for  horn pout all the time. we use to chum the water with cat food and then just use a standard worm and hook. we fished a place called long pond in errol, nh  and we would catch hundreds of  horn pout. you could leave those babies in a bucket over night with no water and they still would be ready to go the next morning. every pond has them and just look in a clarks or gazetter.............they will tell  you  where. as for the best eating fish up here...........walleye
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

Smelt1

• Born to fish,forced to work!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2007, 06:52 AM »
Jibbs where are you catching walleye in NH. I've fished all the places where NH F&G say they've stocked them and I haven't seen one yet. I can't even see them on a fishfinder. I think they are just a urban legion up here.
Bubba

jibbs

« Reply #7 on: Aug 12, 2007, 10:17 AM »
island pond in vermont
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

bmxfreak361

« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2011, 08:10 PM »
are there any good spots near or in epsom, hooksett, manchester, deerfield, concord, candia, northwood, auburn or bow?

Dispy

« Reply #9 on: Apr 20, 2011, 08:24 PM »
Jibbs where are you catching walleye in NH. I've fished all the places where NH F&G say they've stocked them and I haven't seen one yet. I can't even see them on a fishfinder. I think they are just a urban legion up here.
CT River in Hinsdale, NH just above the dam. ;)
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

Dispy

« Reply #10 on: Apr 20, 2011, 08:25 PM »
are there any good spots near or in epsom, hooksett, manchester, deerfield, concord, candia, northwood, auburn or bow?
Right where you caught your lunker pickerel is where the 1988 record came from  ;) If I recollect, you also caught one shortly after the beauty!!
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

bmxfreak361

« Reply #11 on: Apr 20, 2011, 08:52 PM »
AHHA mike told me you were on here dispy! and i found ya.
these are some nice ones i caught up in VT last weekend.
i heard patuckaway and some pond in auburn is good for bullhead.

the fish before we ate them.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #12 on: Apr 20, 2011, 09:50 PM »
I love me some horn pout! Plenty of places 'round these parts.

Oddfish

« Reply #13 on: Apr 22, 2011, 12:17 AM »
Phil,

Just about any pond around here has pouts.  And don't listen to the nay sayers they taste just fine!  However, the perch are pretty darned good, as well as the crappie, and if you can get the gills or seeds beyond 9" they are darn tastey.  Warm shallow poorly oxygenated water are horned pout playgrounds.  Use fish and games depth maps and you will be able to make an informed decision on the best spot.  I'm down on the coast, I fish the Bellamy regularly in the winter and pull pouts thru the ice, and I know people fish them there at night (best time).

Oddfish

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #14 on: Apr 22, 2011, 08:03 AM »
Yep, night time, with a lantern or even car headlights from shore.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.