FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Year of the Brown  (Read 750 times)

bogtrotter

Year of the Brown
« on: Sep 25, 2016, 04:12 PM »
Looking back over this past year, brown trout (rather than rainbows) seem to be making up a larger portion of my overall catch as as compared to prior ones, even though I am still fishing the same rivers (mainly the North and South Hoosic) and even the same stretches of those rivers (North Adams and Adams) as in the past.

Has anyone else noted a similar pattern this year (i.e., more browns, and fewer rainbows) on the streams they typically fish (e.g., Westfield, Deerfield, Green, Housatonic, Farmington, Millers, Swift or points further east)?

And any theories over why that might be? - - eg., Change in stocking patterns? Differences in "holdover" rates during drought conditions? Something else?

Just curious.

lowaccord66

Re: Year of the Brown
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2016, 05:21 PM »
Yes over the past 20 years of fishing rivers with stocked trout I'd say they tend to stock more browns now than ever before.  They tolerate warm water better than the rainbows.  Now this year for me there has been more rainbows and even a few more tiger trout in the Farmington.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
Re: Year of the Brown
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2016, 06:23 PM »
I thought you were talking about everyone's lawns.... ::)
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.