FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Year of the doormats  (Read 2383 times)

zwiggles

Re: Year of the doormats
« Reply #15 on: Aug 11, 2020, 11:09 AM »
Good eats right there!

How do they fight? I imagine they must put up a good tussle?

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #16 on: Aug 11, 2020, 11:10 AM »
Yes... I've been chasing them... but all I'm finding are shorts!! I will crack this code soon.

If you are getting shorts, you are in the wrong spot and your just going to work all day to find 1 or 2 keepers. Keep searching, get away from the crowds and do short tight drifts if you find a keeper. Color has been key this year as well.
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #17 on: Aug 11, 2020, 11:36 AM »
Good eats right there!

How do they fight? I imagine they must put up a good tussle?

Hey Z.

When you get small ones, less than 4lbs, they shake their head when hooked and then they come right up. Once you get to that 5-8lb range, you hook them, you kinda feel stuck on the bottom and then you feel a head shake as they come up. You get some cranking on them and then a solid pause as they fight you and neither of you are gianing ground until they tire out and maybe do that one or 2 more times. When you get over 8lbs, they do all of the above plus peel drag on you more than once. Heavy pull and sometimes feel like a striped bass of 20-30lbs. The big ones always have a way to let you loose as well and you get 1 shot at them with the net. Choose your crew wisely. lol
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #18 on: Aug 11, 2020, 02:48 PM »
They are aggressive fish.  Known to actually blitz at times on the surface and will eat a popper.  That is the extent of my fluke knowledge. 

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #19 on: Aug 12, 2020, 08:37 AM »
They are aggressive fish.  Known to actually blitz at times on the surface and will eat a popper.  That is the extent of my fluke knowledge.

Spot on. They are predators and not scavengers. We had one follow our jig 70 feet off the bottom last weekend. I would say that 60-70% of the time I can predict a bite by watching my screen. When they feed, they come off the bottom and you can see them prior to drifting over them with your bait. 
Wicked Wec

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #20 on: Aug 17, 2020, 07:50 AM »
If you are getting shorts, you are in the wrong spot and your just going to work all day to find 1 or 2 keepers. Keep searching, get away from the crowds and do short tight drifts if you find a keeper. Color has been key this year as well.

Sounds good, I'm going to keep at it!

elevatorman

• Finally made it on to team Lund ! 18 Sport Angler.
« Reply #21 on: Aug 18, 2020, 06:40 AM »
Nice 👍
Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in awell preserved body; but rather to skid in side ways totally worn out shouting (holy sh*t)  WHAT A RIDE! FISH ON!.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.