FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 512989 times)

fishinator

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #4065 on: Mar 07, 2021, 04:57 PM »
There’s a lot of questions here.
What have you tried to grow
What type of soil have you used
How deep are they
What are “poor results”

I grow 90% of my crops in raised beds with little problem.

Anyway, I spent a good part of today out there in the cold and sunshine doing some cleaning up in my gardens. Cut back the asparagus, cone flowers, sedum, marigolds and other late fall leftovers. Got the tractor out of the garden and in the garage to do some spring tuneup ( not that it needs much).

Fenced in my flower beds to keep the deer from eating my tulips, daffodils, crocuses and lilies. Last year they murdered 60% of them.

Really great to get some sun, fresh air and gardening in.

A taste of things to come.

Rg
I guess I should have been more specific. These are actually on legs about 4 feet off the ground. I have no problem growing in the raised beds or the ground.
  I have tried green beans ( figured easier to pick) and the plants got about a foot tall and very few beans.
  I tried several peppers thinking they would like the warmer soil and they were very small and only produced a few small peppers.
  I tried lettuce and other greens and they were too bitter to eat. Also tried onions and they never got bigger than a golf ball.
  They are filled with a mix of black dirt and potting soil.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4066 on: Mar 07, 2021, 05:19 PM »
Might want to test your soil. See what the ph is.  I have a trough planter that holds quite a bit of soil. I grow spinach and radishes in it mostly. Each year I amend the soil in the planter with compost, manure and additional perlite and sand. I also add some bone meal and peat. It’s been going for 3-4 years now without a hitch.

Watering in a raised planter like that is tricky too. They dry out quick if you’re not vigilant. Spacing is tricky too. They don’t have the depth an on ground bed does, so plants need more room.

I’m no expert by any means. Just speaking from personal experience.

Bob

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4067 on: Mar 10, 2021, 05:14 AM »
Spent some time outdoors yesterday cleaning up the gardens, picking up sticks and setting seed for our wild flowers patch. What a nice day to be out and about. Even had time to sit out for cocktails and ribs on the Weber.

Gonna be nice enough today to break out the hammock.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4068 on: Mar 10, 2021, 05:23 AM »
Sure wish I could see the ground...
 The sun felt great but the wind blowing across the snow was cold..
 But i was sweating 😓 in the greenhouses even with the doors and louvers open..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

camet5

« Reply #4069 on: Mar 10, 2021, 09:49 AM »
I guess I should have been more specific. These are actually on legs about 4 feet off the ground. I have no problem growing in the raised beds or the ground.
  I have tried green beans ( figured easier to pick) and the plants got about a foot tall and very few beans.
  I tried several peppers thinking they would like the warmer soil and they were very small and only produced a few small peppers.
  I tried lettuce and other greens and they were too bitter to eat. Also tried onions and they never got bigger than a golf ball.
  They are filled with a mix of black dirt and potting soil.

I have a 30" square tub that has some large gravel in the bottom near a drain hole and then filled 3/4 full of potting soil. I add some soil to it each year and I grow my herbs in it on the porch just outside our kitchen. Mid summer after a good trimming back I use some liquid fertilizer for them to take back off with. Like RG said, I have to water it every day sometimes twice as it can dry out easily.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4070 on: Mar 11, 2021, 04:04 PM »
I think it’s the liquid fertilizer.. 
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4071 on: Mar 11, 2021, 04:09 PM »
Wish I got the total number of plugs that arrived this morning..  Thousands and thousands...  I can’t fill pots and put them on the benches fast enough.  And now there going on carts and pushed up the hill to the other houses..

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #4072 on: Mar 11, 2021, 04:21 PM »
Amazing!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4073 on: Mar 11, 2021, 04:30 PM »
Yup...liquid fertilizer is really short term. Maybe a week at most.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4074 on: Mar 11, 2021, 04:45 PM »
The liquid fertilizer probably burnt and killed them..... ;)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4075 on: Mar 12, 2021, 03:36 AM »
Only place I use it is on my house plants. Violets, jades, Christmas cactus, begonias and such. Only in the winter though. When I move them outdoors they get some Worm Power. And that’s it.

Rg

taxid

« Reply #4076 on: Mar 12, 2021, 07:51 AM »
Conversely I'm cutting back on the garden this year that I took over last year. Just sweet corn, beans, and tomatoes. And the beans will be climbing beans as bending over picking beans on the ground is not much fun IMO.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4077 on: Mar 12, 2021, 03:06 PM »
No garlic? Gotta have garlic.

I’ll grow potatoes, spinach, radishes, some tomatoes and cukes, some basil, parsley rosemary and thyme. Garlic went in last fall.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4078 on: Mar 12, 2021, 05:20 PM »
Everything is filling up.  95 % that came in now is done..  Going to work on removing the plastic from the caved in one now most of the snow melted..

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #4079 on: Mar 12, 2021, 10:00 PM »
Coming along nicely! I’d imagine the damaged greenhouse put you back a bit. Not the time and money to fix but rather not having that one filled too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.