FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Carp Rigs  (Read 11790 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Carp Rigs
« on: Mar 05, 2004, 08:13 PM »
For bait fishing the "Hair Rig" is my favorite. Always hooks them in the lips...never swallowed. I use a barrel swivel up line and a small slip sinker  above...leader length usually about 2'.

RG

Tie the hook in line as shown leaving a loop about 3" past the hook

Thread the bait or boilie on the "Hair" using  a bait needle. slip a pine needle through the loop and push the bait down to the end.

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bean

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Carp Rigs
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2004, 08:36 PM »
RG,
    Is there any special knot to tie onto the hook with. I've seen this rig many times, but never tried to duplicate it.
Ken A.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2004, 05:05 AM »
I simply snell a # 8 short shank wide gap hook on the line and use the tag end  for the "hair".

The Europeans will use braided nylon for the "Hair". I like the stiff cocoa colored Maxima fly leader materials for these rigs.

I also add a small piece of foam to float the bait just off the bottom.
RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

wny angler

« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2004, 06:35 AM »
i wonder if that will work for those new species of asian carp invading the great lakes--100lb+  8' high leaping-boat smashing asian carp

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2004, 06:47 AM »
I haven't bumped into any yet but I've seen some amazing videos. Don't know what they feed on...time for some research.
RG

susquayuga fisher

« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2004, 01:16 AM »
I'd like to feed the Asian Carp an expanding-tip broadhead from my MacPherson Mag 500! Thats my favorite way to get carp. Good practice for whitetail hunting, too! I have a special reel set up for a fast retrieve. I bowfish the Susky River and Cayuga Lake. I wish I could find a place that would buy carp, I could make a few bucks while having fun!!                                               Andy

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2004, 04:03 AM »
There's some very serious bow fishers on Sodus and I-Bay in the spring and early summer. These guys have some wild boats setup with lights, platforms and jet outdrives.

I've always wondered what you do with them after you harvest them?

RG

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2004, 10:45 AM »
Aside from the obvious sport, anyone with any recipes or uses (other than garden fertillizer), for Carp?

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2004, 07:51 AM »
I bowfish for carp at Russel Station power plant in Rochester NY . Wade in the water and sneek up on them slowly. I use my old PSE for that. Nothing like standing in the warm water discharge going after them there. I know a couple guys that take them and eat them after shot.

When fishing for carp my set up is simply a number 12 treble hook with 4 lb test line on a 16 foot noodle rod.

On the treble one piece of corn each. Throw a small handful in the water around the treble and leave the line slack. What a ball!

Jon
"When the people fear the ‘government,’ that is tyranny. When the government’ fears the people, that is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

suskymusky

« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2004, 11:39 PM »
I'd like to feed the Asian Carp an expanding-tip broadhead from my MacPherson Mag 500! Thats my favorite way to get carp. Good practice for whitetail hunting, too! I have a special reel set up for a fast retrieve. I bowfish the Susky River and Cayuga Lake. I wish I could find a place that would buy carp, I could make a few bucks while having fun!!                                               Andy
[/I love the Susky Salmon,too.Too bad fish markets dont sell them for 5.99 a lb, or we'd be rich!!! :-*]
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2004, 05:34 AM »
Still wondering what you do with them after you shoot them?
RG

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2004, 07:28 AM »
I use a bullhead rig. Tie a 1/2 oz. sinker on the end of the line. 6 inches up from that a 6 inch snelled #4, and a foot up from that one another snelled #4 baited with corn.
Harold

icebraker

• People who work don't know how to fish!!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2004, 08:00 PM »
I float fish for carp more than anything else.

A float on the line a couple of split shots and the hook at the end may best catches were fishing this way.
People who work don't know how to fish!!

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2004, 12:58 PM »
Still wondering what you do with them after you shoot them?
RG

I don't bowhunt carp, but since they already have a hole in them and are going to die, I'd guess they would either be coon food or fertilizer.
Harold

buzzbomb

« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2004, 06:47 AM »
I use a 1oz pyramid or dipsy sinker and a 12" leader with a hair rig with a #4 salmon egg hook.  A couple of kernels of corn on the hook and  6 to 8 on the hair depending on size of corn.  My friends use more weight, but I've found an oz adequate unless the currents unusually strong.  Naturally the swivel's on the terminal side of the sinker.
 (edit Mar. 2005
I've changed tactics a bit now. I'm using anything from 1 to 3 oz. depending on current and the length of my hair rig's more like 7 or 8".  The salmon hooks have been replaced with Tiemco 2457's which closely resemble euro carp hooks (largest size I've found is #6).  Corn and nightcrawlers still have a place in the bait arsenal, but I'm mostly using my homemade boilies now.  I keep the breaking strain of my rig material a couple of lbs lighter than my mainline to avoid having a 'death rig' which could leave a fish towing around 20 or 30 yds. of mono  :-\

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.