FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Carp after the catch  (Read 11267 times)

Somers

Re: Carp after the catch
« Reply #15 on: Apr 03, 2004, 10:29 PM »
I just got done watching Iron Chef and they had a carp battle.

Most of the dishes were fried and a couple stewed I think.  They tried to mask any off or fishy flavors by using a lot of onion and garlic.  There was a whole fried fish that looked pretty d**n good where they scored the enitre fish on both sides, then deep fried it.

One of the judges did comment on the "freshwater" taste, which I take basically to mean muddy or "summer" flavor, like the way the pond smells in the flavor.  Anybody else ever find that?  Also, all the bones in one dish were commented on.

An old timer once mentioned to me he kept the fish alive  in an old rain barrell to let the fish clean itself out.  I have no idea if there's any merit to it.  Has anyone else ever heard of this?

BTW, am I the only one watching this battle of the high chefs of Japan?

buzzbomb

« Reply #16 on: Apr 04, 2004, 03:43 PM »
I've heard of Asian people buying live carp and keeping them in the bathtub for a couple of days to clean them out, but how widespead the practice is I'm not sure.  The recipe thread in Carp Anglers Group has a topic on rough fish preparation which mentions scoring the fillets so the bones are small enough to eat.  Why not leave them whole then take them out completely?   Many things don't make sense to me simply because I don't understand them, but that doesn't mean they don't work.   I'm nearly 50 and I can't see that situation changing in the near future.  This spring, I think there's some 5 pounder out there with my name on it.  I'll still do anything once...twice if it doesn't hurt too bad. ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #17 on: Apr 04, 2004, 08:20 PM »
Commercial Carp producers "flush" their fish by moving them from clean pond to clean pond in a series of steps thus supposedly reducing the swampy flavors attributed to "Ol Liverlips".

Mine go back in the water they came from.....I don't kiss them goodby either.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

livin4ice

« Reply #18 on: Apr 04, 2004, 09:58 PM »
I watched it too Somers.  I just couldn't figure out why they like it so much.  They even showed how they like the gelitan that is under the skin....YYYYYYYYuuuuck.  Can you imagine how "fishy" that would taste, even if the fish had been flushed first.  They use some of the weirdest ingredients on that show.  I think they are cooking with eel farts next week...LOL  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

buzzbomb

« Reply #19 on: Apr 05, 2004, 08:08 AM »
An MSN search for eel-fart recipes produced 75 webpages...not bad.                    http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/humor/SNL/TheIronChef.htm    dang, I can never get that hyper-link thing right! :)

Somers

« Reply #20 on: Apr 06, 2004, 11:05 AM »
I hear ya livin4ice.

I've see them using whale tongue, sea cuccumber, fish egg ice cream, duck feet, all kinds of weird stuff. 

Eel farts,  That's funny.

hosscletuslulu

• PERCHPULLER
« Reply #21 on: Apr 10, 2004, 06:10 AM »
Recipe for Carp
  • Clean carp, open flat and peg to a suitably sized pine board.
  • Brush generously with butter or oil or alternately drizzle with lemon or lime juice.
  • Season to taste with salt and pepper, chili pepper or your favorite spice blend (Cajun, Old Bay etc).
  • Bake in a preheated oven at 375ºF until flesh browns lightly and begins to flake easily from bones.
  • thats the same recipe I use

• Once thoroughly baked but not over done, remove from oven and separate from board.
  • Set the table and pour a favorite beer or befitting wine.
  • Toss the carp to your cat or dog and eat the pine board.
;)

hosscletuslulu

• PERCHPULLER
« Reply #22 on: Apr 10, 2004, 06:13 AM »
thats the best recipe its the one I use

HIMO

• MFF Mod Team
  • Goatboy's- Wisconsin chapter "1st Wisconsin goat"
« Reply #23 on: Apr 10, 2004, 06:22 AM »
i don't like using pine boards. oak taste better.

HIMO
"IT'S NOT HOW DEEP YOU FISH, IT'S HOW YOU WIGGLE YOUR WORM" !!!

JigAwhopper

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2004, 08:11 AM »
The small ponds I go to sometimes are overrun with these critters.  They muddy the water and once they get to a certain size,  nothing will eat them.  Not even me,  since the water is polluted with the runoff from local housing projects. I personally like to take out my canoe,  drift around and plug 'em with my bow around this time of the year,  when they're spawning.  Very relaxing way to spend an  afternoon.  Carp make really good garden fertilizer! ;D.                                         J.
GONE FISH'G.......

devil-man

« Reply #25 on: Sep 24, 2004, 03:31 PM »
I think I'd rather eat my boots.

cnyfishing

« Reply #26 on: Mar 16, 2005, 02:28 PM »
Recipe for Carp
  • Brush generously with butter or oil or alternately drizzle with lemon or lime juice.
  • Season to taste with salt and pepper, chili pepper or your favorite spice blend (Cajun, Old Bay etc).
  • Bake in a preheated oven at 375ºF until flesh browns lightly and begins to flake easily from bones.
  • thats the same recipe I use

• Once thoroughly baked but not over done, remove from oven and separate from board.
;)
I like hickory boards  ;)
"Telephone repair men climb poles fishermen use rods"
      -Gary Loomis
Late to bed, early to rise; fish all day, make up lies.
                  There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

wigen

« Reply #27 on: Apr 29, 2005, 11:52 PM »
i agree, i fish for carp like any other game fish. im an avid bass and pike fisherman, but enjoy targeting carp, the fight is incredible, the smaller ones fight like bass even had them jump a few times. as far as eating them, never have , but did cook one up for a neighbor who crashed our cookouts, he thought it was very tasty till we told him what it was, so i guess its not too bad. i dont advocate bow fishing for them, but each to their own, and get pretty upset when people catch them and throw them onshore to die. my 7 yr old caught a 26lber two weeks ago and what a pic it was of him holding it, going to be used on the brochure advertising the june 25th carp contest at onondaga lake. all in all i guess treat them with respect

amazinmoose

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2005, 07:09 AM »
i have some snapping turtles, i think they would love the carp flesh :-D   tightlines, moose

mrwalleye

« Reply #29 on: Aug 15, 2005, 08:21 AM »
Recipe for Carp
;)
LOL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.